DVDs set off security alarms

Managed to find a box set that I had been looking for in a secondhand shop. It's a national chain but was located in a slightly dodgy area.

Since then I have managed to set off the security alarms in both M&S and Debenhams by having these DVDs in my bag.

How do I resolve this?! I don't think it's something that the secondhand shop activated or can take off.

Comments

• qazitory
    qazitory Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't carry the DVDs around with you? :)
    Quidco Earnings (since Dec 06): £467.75
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    What does it matter? You don't need to cart them around, do you?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds like the secondhand shop sold stolen items.
  • Abbey1991
    Abbey1991 Posts: 159 Forumite
    I was hoping for a solution involving vinegar and freezers or something :)

If they were previously stolen, can I get in trouble for having them in my bag? The reason I carry them around is to watch on my laptop when I travel by train.

I don't even think M&S and Debenhams sell DVDs so maybe something is wrong in how their alarms are programmed.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have a good look in the boxes, inside the cardboard sleeve etc. Some security guards like to get creative with where they hide security tags to prevent thieves just pulling them off in the shop. If it's one of the stick on types, you may be able to pull it off, although if it's a super sticky one it may damage the surface. Perhaps that won't matter too much?
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do you take them out with you when you go shopping?

Surely once you have them at home that's the end of the worry.
  • Abbey1991
    Abbey1991 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Do you take them out with you when you go shopping?

Surely once you have them at home that's the end of the worry.
    Have been watching them on my laptop on the train. And then sometimes going into shops near stations.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Abbey1991 wrote: »
    Have been watching them on my laptop on the train. And then sometimes going into shops near stations.

Ah - see the problem! Next time you set off an alarm, ask the shop to explain why something they don't even sell is creating an issue for you which you find embarrassing and inconvenient. It shouldn't be happening...
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pun wrote: »
    Ah - see the problem! Next time you set off an alarm, ask the shop to explain why something they don't even sell is creating an issue for you which you find embarrassing and inconvenient. It shouldn't be happening...

They may not sell the particular product - but security devices may be the same. It isnt the stores fault that the OP is carrying around something which still has a tag attached
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you cannot find the security device in the box - have you tried just taking the DVDs without the box ( or putting them in a different box ? )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure