How much to replace a Focus wheel bearing?

Firstly, I know NOTHING about cars but I do know that the screaming noise coming from my Ford Focus is more than likely the wheel bearing. It's the front passenger side and my local garage has quoted me around £180 to fix it. Now this seems quite expensive to me but what do I know? lol ;)

I just wondered if anyone more technically minded could let me know if this sounds about right before I book it in.

Many thanks all and Happy Christmas and New Year!!

Comments

• Rossy.
    Rossy. Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Bearing will probably be up to £30 from a local motor factors.

I've done them myself before but it's not easy as they they generally have to be "pressed" in. I did this by using the old bearing and a hammer but that's me and my meadling ways.

It sounds expensive though
    If Adam and Eve were created first
    .Does that mean we are all inbred
  • Thanks, its just an idea I'm after, I have been ripped off before through not researching so lesson learnt.

I know garages will vary slightly but if its tonnes more expensive then I shall look elsewhere.

Thanks again. :beer:
  • mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had one changed on a 55 plate Fiesta and the part alone was about £60 from Ford.
  • My decent mechanic charge £50 labour for it. Buy the part, find a local mechanic who should not charge more than £80 labour.
  • Gene_Hunt_2
    Gene_Hunt_2 Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    newbie007 wrote: »
    My decent mechanic charge £50 labour for it. Buy the part, find a local mechanic who should not charge more than £80 labour.

Nudge, nudge.;);)

How much does he charge for car repairs?
  • ROY47
    ROY47 Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    weezypoos wrote: »
    Firstly, I know NOTHING about cars but I do know that the screaming noise coming from my Ford Focus is more than likely the wheel bearing. It's the front passenger side and my local garage has quoted me around £180 to fix it.

are you sure it's the wheel bearing ? they make more of a droning /humming noise when their worn and if it's the passenger side ,does the noise get quieter on right hand bends when the weight comes off slightly ?

could be a stone stuck behind the disc catching the dust plate ?
  • one of the rear wheel bearings collapsed when i was doing the brakes, i got a genuine ford bearing kit for around £30,found that the bearing needed to be pressed into the rear drum after i took a chunk out of the bearing.
    went back to frod dealer and bought a rear brake drum with new bearings already pressed in it for £80. easy enough to fit myself.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Rossy. wrote: »
    I did this by using the old bearing and a hammer

:T

If in doubt, hit it with a hammer :rotfl:
  • ROY47 wrote: »
    are you sure it's the wheel bearing ? they make more of a droning /humming noise when their worn and if it's the passenger side ,does the noise get quieter on right hand bends when the weight comes off slightly ?

could be a stone stuck behind the disc catching the dust plate ?

I'd go with this although sealed bearings can scream if the lubricant has got out but it is fairly rare.

Might be as little as your dust plate needing greased with copperslip.
  • katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    Hi weezypoos (great username!), for my tuppence worth just to let you know I recently paid £130 for a front wheel bearing on a Fiesta, have you jacked the car up to see if the noise continues with the brake applied to rule out the disc rub, also when raised there should be no play in the wheel (i.e. back and forth movement pushing it into the car and pulling it towards you, this I have been told is a pretty sure sign if it's a bearing), and generally when you're turning in the opposite direction the noise should be slightly louder, is this all the case?

(Random bits of info I have picked up from my mechanic, hope this helps!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure