Money Moral Dilemma: Should we increase our son's pocket money?

Options

Comments

• Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    There is one key question. How old is he and how much does he get? If he is getting £5 a week I would say you can be a bit more generous. If he's getting £50 than he is spoilt.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My own daughter and me had a chat we she started her GCSE's. I told her if she wanted to get a part time job then fine, but I'd bankroll her if she would prefer to study. She chose study over work and I was in total agreement. She just smashed her A levels and is now at University.

Part time jobs will affect study. You need to decide what's more important at this stage of their life.
    Pants
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I give my kids a small regular amount. They can boost this by (a) doing jobs around the house or (b) getting good grades in school work (I do £1 per "house point" or similar).
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    In the same way that your son is pointing out that he is not receiving as much pocket money as his friends, maybe you could point out that there may be many reasons for that. For example, the income of each household may vary considerably or perhaps his friends pocket money equates to help given to parents. In this situation I would take a close look at the weekly amount given and discuss with him ways that this amount could possibly be increased. Maybe extra jobs in the home or by taking a step into the world to secure employment. Money doesn't grow on trees and that's a lesson he has yet to learn.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    My own daughter and me had a chat we she started her GCSE's. I told her if she wanted to get a part time job then fine, but I'd bankroll her if she would prefer to study. She chose study over work and I was in total agreement. She just smashed her A levels and is now at University.

Part time jobs will affect study. You need to decide what's more important at this stage of their life.

My daughter also got great results and is at uni as has worked part time/ volunteered for years.........

I think it has more to do with their own drive than jobs or money.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • cmn374
    cmn374 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    As a teacher I thought I'd add my twopenn'oth (I don't think I've spelt that right). I think the answer depends on what your child is like & how they are doing at school.
    The first thing I'd do is check what pocket money their friends are actually getting- as you already know, children are great at telling stories to their own advantage.
    Then, if your child is motivated at school & there are no behaviour or progress issues, I would echo the advice already given that working for money is great experience, whether that is chores at home or elsewhere. Any work experience outside the home is valuable when applying for jobs & indeed university.
    If there are problems at school then I would say these need tackling first. If you're not sure how your child is doing, ring the school, ask to talk to their form tutor or head of year, or if it is a particular subject ask to speak to the subject teacher. You may need to go in for a meeting.
    In my school poor behaviour, failure to complete class work or homework results in behaviour points, & good behaviour or doing what is expected is rewarded with achievement points. You could link a rise in pocket money to a reduction in behaviour points or an improvement in grades or number of achievement points. You will only find this out every half term, so I would operate on a bonus system. Extra pocket money then coincides with extra leisure time.
    Of course you will know best what will motivate your kid.
    I would like to underline the fact that you are asked to declare your GCSE results on (pretty much) every job application you ever make, & that employers are looking for a minimum of 5 GCSEs at A-C ( including maths & English) or 5-9 if you are taking the new GCSEs (grade 4 may be acceptable - we just don't know yet).
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cmn374 wrote: »
    Hi,
    As a teacher I thought I'd add my twopenn'oth (I don't think I've spelt that right).

... sums up teachers really! ^_^
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What does he need more money for? What will he do with it.

If he can justify more money then I would consider it but not just to give him the same as his friends.

Mine got a weekly amount and if they needed extra for something they asked for jobs to do to get some money. They did things like clean the windows, cut the grass, wash the car.

they already kept their own rooms tidy- by their standards!- and were always willing to help out with routine jobs.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a 16yo son, mine sat GCSEs this summer. What I found is the closer it got to examination time, the more pressure school put on DS (and the rest of his year). A job at this point (for my DS) would have just been too much in addition. Also as has previously been mentioned, jobs are harder to find for 15 year olds, and even it yours is already 16, there are still restrictions until the last Friday in June of yr11. Personally I would leave the job searching until GCSE's are over. They then have a long summer break (I think mine had 11 weeks off!) before starting in FE. Use that time for him to find a p-time job. Depending on what his sixth form options is it might be easier to fit working around studying. Mine is on a level 3 BTEC course and attends college 3 days a week.

I wouldn't necessarily increase pocket money instead though. It would depend on what was already being given and what it was being spent on
  • woodville_2
    Options
    Understand the revising for exams issue and the difficulty of an under 16 getting a job. Get him to do some housework and pay him for that - hoovering, washing up, ironing, making beds and tidying rooms - all things that will stand him in good stead later in life.
    That is not going to compromise his exams and later on her will thank you - but probably not now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure