Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    d0nna wrote: »
    Ha ha. It doesn't really taste of much when you eat it with inside. Try it, you might like it!

Okay, I'll take your word for it. Only one left so maybe next time. :)
  • d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I would imagine it's like chewing on hessian :o

It's really not ha ha. My niece tried it the other day as she didn't know that the skin is edible and she loved it. Full of goodness and less waste.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Aldi
    Had the veg sushi. Very nice.

Though saw three things in the chillers that were out of date. Not yesterday, but 2x 2nd Oct and one 28/9. The latter was smoked salmon with the date on the back and open it at the front. So some people could open it without knowing how much it's out of date. Unsure how poorly you can be eating smoked salmon gone 8 days on the use by date.

Obviously the staff here just chuck things on top of old stock and not checking when doing a cardboard run. This is going around picking up empty or almost empty cases.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It's really not ha ha. My niece tried it the other day as she didn't know that the skin is edible and she loved it. Full of goodness and less waste.

This article agrees than Kiwi skin is good for you - but only if you know how it has been grown. It warns about pesticides as these can become concentrated in the skin

http://www.natural-digestion.com/benefits-of-kiwifruit-skin/
  • d0nna
    First Anniversary
    dlusman wrote: »
    This article agrees than Kiwi skin is good for you - but only if you know how it has been grown. It warns about pesticides as these can become concentrated in the skin

http://www.natural-digestion.com/benefits-of-kiwifruit-skin/

You can say that about most fruits and vegetables. As this article shows http://www.pan-uk.org/food/best-worst-food-for-pesticide-residues one of the worst fruits are apples and grapes. I would assume that most people don't peel them. I just give all my fruit and vegetables a thorough wash and not worry about it.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Went to Aldi yesterday, and I don't often buy "ready meals", but I succumbed to their Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Jalfrezi (the packs without rice) for £2.49 each.
    They were absolutely delicious. We had half each with home made biryani rice.
    Well done Aldi!
  • d0nna
    First Anniversary
    andygb wrote: »
    Went to Aldi yesterday, and I don't often buy "ready meals", but I succumbed to their Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Jalfrezi (the packs without rice) for £2.49 each.
    They were absolutely delicious. We had half each with home made biryani rice.
    Well done Aldi!

I will have to keep an eye out for those then. How do they compare to a takeaway?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Aldi have finally stocked a decent range of tinned beans (not tomato sauce variety) and I also picked up a few packs of braising steak, which I've not previously seen in there. Plus with the super 6 being predominantly winter veg, I'm all set up to make a vast array of stews and soups that will provide me with at least a month's worth of meals for just a few quid :D
  • andygb
    I will have to keep an eye out for those then. How do they compare to a takeaway?

I reckon I know what a good takeaway is, and I also cook curries from scratch, and I think these Aldi curries are better than some of the takeaways I have had.
    To be honest, I was shocked - in a good way:)
    There seemed to be more meat than any other takeaway, and the meat had absorbed the flavour of the spices, unlike a lot of other ready meals.
    I am also glad that they didn't have rice with them, because for me that is the biggest failing area of ready meals, and I would rather have my home prepared biryani.
  • andygb
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Aldi have finally stocked a decent range of tinned beans (not tomato sauce variety) and I also picked up a few packs of braising steak, which I've not previously seen in there. Plus with the super 6 being predominantly winter veg, I'm all set up to make a vast array of stews and soups that will provide me with at least a month's worth of meals for just a few quid :D

That sounds a great idea, particularly now that the temperatue has fallen by about 10C.
    We often buy up Aldi veg when it is on offer, but we have a few "international" shops close by, and they sell 4kg bags of onions (white and red) for £1.49 and chillis and garlic are really cheap, plus bunches of fresh herbs (3 for a £1).
    As you say, cooking up batches of lovel stew is a real way to save money.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure