PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It is tough NOW. So how are we coping

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Elona you're very wise. So many folk I know wait and wait too long and then drop dead at work or get shoved out in a nasty way and get depressed. We need to chill out and enjoy life more I think !
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Interesting article. I also read yesterday on an American forum about ways to let the recession pass you by and one suggestion was bartering, as mentioned in that article. So you swap goods and/or services and no money passes hands.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

I love the idea of this... last year one of hubbies bosses gave us loads of apples (they have trees they don't use:eek: ) all he wanted in return was a good recipe and tips for making pastry and crumble -he loved to cook, but couldn't get to grips with these:D
    This year -next door have given me the use of their hose pipe -they only use it to fill the dogs paddling pool occasionally ;) and a new one out here would cost me about €50 :eek: ...so I have said that in return I will keep her in salad stuff once it gets going -she is on her own until about october -so It will have no impact on our needs.
    Now I just need hubby to have words with another guy he was talking to at work the other day who shoots and slaughters deer... to see if he wants to trade some for Home grown veggies :p

Once we move back home to the UK where all my family are in the same area there will be some serious swapping going on -my mum has raised beds so grows loads of winter/root veg , I'm brilliant with tomatoes and the like, 1 brother and my uncle hunt/beat but don't use the produce as their wives won't have it in the house :confused: -so I have all that coming my way and will give game pies etc back in return.... Im really looking forward to it :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Was reminded the other day that ground elder leaves can be harvested for salad, so going out to get some for dinner.

I have stopped buying clothes or shoes, have lots of underwear which will last for ages if I don't either lose or gain weight. Most of my clothes can be used....two suits, one for funerals, the other for formal happier events, lots of cotton tops, cardigans etc...now have no interest in buying anything other than books or items for thrifty gifts in charity shops.

Barter is a great system, don't seem to have many people interested here though

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have tried bartering before now... but never seem to have much interest which is a shame as it could work really well.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I think more people will become interested. More people are gardening/have allotments and therefore will have something to exchange when inflation hits us.

Meanmarie, while youre out look out for wild garlic. Its lovely in an omelette.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • KiWi13
    KiWi13 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Hi there, have been lurking now for over a week (thats how long it has taken me to read through all these posts).
    Thankfully at the moment I do not have any financial problems (touch wood) but am very aware that it can all change very quickly.
    I am lliving with my DH at my Mother's house where we have been for a 1 1/2 years since the rent was being put up where we were living and we needed to save to get our own place.
    We are at the moment negotiating contracts on our first house and hope to have the keys end of April if all goes according to plan.
    I've been trying to get tips off here and I certainly have had a few lightbulb moments although I am sure there are plenty more to come the more I read.

Just wanted to say thanks to all so far and keep up the good work. Its certainly refreshing to see people who want to help others out there rather than just looking after number one!

:D:D
    Kirk
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks tiff....have some in glorious leaf in my herb bed, use it as much as I can while its there as it doesn't last long...think that it needs splitting this year when it has flowered

Anyone who is near hawthorn, the tiny buds are lovely in salad...we used to call it bread and cheese when I was a child, no idea why

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    It's a shame we couldn't get up some sort of barter site going somehow - we would all be up for it.
    I had a neighbour who was a gamekeeper and he handed in wee parcels of venison ...delicious !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure