How are HomeServe still in business

Options

Comments

• Maltese_Falcon
    Maltese_Falcon Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2015 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Well, I should have checked here before I was suckered into falling for the HomeServe scam. I think all the fancy claims on their website are just hot air, designed to suck-in gullible punters. Not that I’ve ever considered myself to be gullible before, but they ARE slick…

I noticed my boiler was leaking (dripping from the bottom) last week but otherwise working fine, as it has been for the past 10 years. After a bit of research at the weekend I decided to use HomeServe’s “Fixed price boiler repair & cover” service after looking at a few other sites that seemed to be more obvious scams (such as “MR Boiler Repairs”).

Their T&Cs looked OK. To quote the very first line: “Information is key! You need to tell us as much as you can about the repair as possible.” They go on to say “If we arrive and the repair requires more work than was agreed when you booked the repair, then we may have to charge you more for the work”. Fair enough.

I tried to book an appointment on-line and entered full details of the fault. When I tried to submit the form it went straight to a “We’re sorry something went wrong” page. I tried a few times but no luck. It is the same today, and probably has been for months. Try it and see. You can view the webpage source code and if you understand Javascript you might find that it’s hard-coded to do that.

This may be for a couple of reasons: 1) there won’t be a ‘written’ record of what you say the fault is; and 2) it forces you to phone them, which is always the main marketing objective. Of course, it might be that something actually went wrong, but wouldn't such a big firm notice they weren't getting any internet traffic (or have checked the error logs) and quickly fixed it?

So I called the number (this is around lunchtime on Sunday). The operative didn't ask a single question about the boiler or the fault. The only details he took were my credit card details. He didn't offer any reference numbers, etc. Just said I’d get a call from the engineer within two hours. Of course, nothing materialised until the following morning.

Again, no details of the boiler or fault were requested, but an appointment was made for the engineer’s visit the next day. He arrived (nice knowledgeable chap) took a look and listed several items that would require replacement. He said he would report back to HomeServe for authorisation and they would contact me with the news.

I got the call a few hours later. The boiler is allegedly beyond economic repair and needs replacing. They cancelled my ‘fixed price’ repair request, but offered the names of companies who could do the work directly for me. I told the operative what I thought of their scam and said I would be informing Trading Standards.

The ‘fixed price’ repair costs £240. The scam is that they don’t follow their own procedure and T&Cs, they just generate a telemarketing opportunity. Of course there’s no way of telling but I strongly suspect that if the engineer finds a trivial problem then they charge you the full £240. That’s a tidy profit, plus they have you hooked on their annual insurance policy.

If it looks like the repair will cost anything near £240 they play the ‘beyond economic repair’ card. There is then a good chance that you will use the installer they suggest for your boiler replacement. It’s a no-lose money making scam for them.

All of this is just my own opinion of course – do your own research. Right, time to Google “trading standards”…
  • HomeServe_company_representative
    HomeServe_company_representative Posts: 114 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for contacting us and sharing your experience about your fixed price boiler repair. I’m very sorry that on this occasion we didn’t deliver the level of service you expected from us. I assure you that we’re committed to being transparent and offering our Customers an effortless service. In instances such as yours however, where people tell us this hasn’t been their experience, we listen, learn from their feedback and take steps to put things right wherever we can.

We offer online appointments so that Customers that prefer to book online have the option to do so. This process works for the vast majority of Customers, however I’m sorry that it didn’t work in your case and this may have been for the following reasons:

We check for existing cover at the address the job is booked for. If we think there is cover in place already we ask Customers to call in so we can perform a manual check. This avoids charging for a job someone would be covered for. We also take the extra step of asking Customers to call in if there are no available engineers in the Customer’s area at that time they wish to book an appointment. We believe this may have been the case in your situation and this does happen occasionally. Again we do this as we wouldn’t want to offer an appointment online that we cannot be certain of us being able to fulfil.

When appointments are arranged, we offer a job only or a job plus cover (Fix It Cover It). This is the same for online or telephone bookings. Our main priority when accepting a boiler job is to try and fix the boiler. In no way do we attempt to ‘scam’ anyone. Sometimes we’re unable to complete a repair for a number of reasons such as the boiler may have obsolete parts in which case it makes sense to replace the boiler instead of fixing it. If this is a decision we arrive at we review each job individually and make an informed decision based on the feedback of the attending engineer and our colleagues. If a boiler is classed as BER we do not receive any benefit from informing you to replace it.

Sometimes mistakes do happen, and if this is the case with your boiler job we’ll review your service issue and try to rectify the matter. We’re more than happy to send an alternative engineer to your home free of charge. So we can arrange this please get in touch with your contact details. You can find our contact details on our profile page.

Speak soon

Famena
    Here To Help Team
    HomeServe
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for contacting us and sharing your experience about your fixed price boiler repair. I’m very sorry that on this occasion we didn’t deliver the level of service you expected from us.
    Famena
    Here To Help Team
    HomeServe

On this occasion - and all the many other times!

Don't you get as fed up with posting this type of apology as much as we get fed up reading such nonsense.
  • Practive
    Options
    Last year I paid £76.80 to Homeserve for Water Supply Pipe cover. I was surprised, after making no claims, that premium this year rose by approx. 20% to £89.64. I settled for not responding and then Homeserve phoned me and offered reduction to £79.98 if I did a continuous direct debit. We settled in the end by my paying £79.98 with NO continuous direct debit.

Then today received new premium letter for Homeserve's Plumbing and Drainage cover which I DID have on continuous direct debit. Last year they'd charged me £104.40. The new premium which would go ahead this year if I did nothing would be £164.40 and yet I'd made no claims.

So, lesson is that no continuous direct debit - increase 20%
    Continuous direct debit - increase 60% - both ridiculous!
  • collingbone614
    Options
    As has been suggested elsewhere on this thread, the ideal way is to save money aside to self-insure. It may take a while, but if you set aside an emergency fund your home won't be ruled by some notorious outfit like HomeServe.
  • whatarethescores
    Options
    As has been suggested elsewhere on this thread, the ideal way is to save money aside to self-insure. It may take a while, but if you set aside an emergency fund your home won't be ruled by some notorious outfit like HomeServe.

Absolutely agreed 100%, except for a good 1st year deal, which if utilising topcashback/quidco (never guaranteed) may be almost free.
  • biast
    Options
    Recieved yet another offer from anglian water to take up Home Serve
    Had reason to call call them for blocked drain 5 years ago,apprentice turned
    up(overheard on phone trying to solve problem)said toilet needed removing etc!
    Told him to politely go away!called Dyno Rod job fixed within 1hrs,had to pay
    unblock drain(all work carried out outside)since bought rods £13 and have kept
    drains clear
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In over fort7 years of home owning we've had two instances of blocked drains, solved by using our own drain rods and one water leak caused by a split outside pipe solved by the house insurance costing us the £100 excess.

so the whole cost has been around £110 = £2.75 a year , significantly less than the subs to HomeServe.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Richard_Tarr
    Options
    the worst company i have ever had the misfortune to pay for a 'service'. How do you justify a water tank leak that after more than 3 months still hasn't been repaired?! They will not turn up to repair, frequently let us down on the day. frequently lie and tell us the parts are ready when they are not, refuse to let me speak to an area manager, refuse to discuss compensation, a CEO that refuses to even acknowledge a letter, refusal to release the 50 pages of notes on their system relating to this issue, twice closing my complaint without a discussion about the many problems, lazy engineers who cannot be bothered to properly check the problem, engineers that blame each other and contradicting each other, inability to speak to same person twice.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Home serve have left me with complete blocked drains, not able to flush /use a toilet, for FIVE DAYS until they can get someone out! Snotty c*w kept telling me if I wanted faster to ring someone else
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure