Switching to the Hallifax?

Options
I have a First Direct Current account.Been paying in /out £1000 for the last 7 months since I opened it.I only switched for the £125 payment.They will pay me another £100 if I switch out.

I was planning on the switching to the recent Clydesdale offer. But they had to send me out an authentic code to put in my application. Still not arrived a week later, so I think I've missed that one.

So I was thinking about switching to the Halifax current account they will pay me £125 to swtich,I think. I have four current accounts with the Bank of Scotland already, but never had any payments to switch to them.So Iam not switching a Bank of Sotland account.

Will I qualify for the payment? I will be paying in £1000 a month and there are 2 Direct Debits.

Comments

• 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 November 2017 at 6:28PM
    Options
    I think so. I switched to Halifax and got the paymemt

£125 TO SWITCH USING THE CURRENT ACCOUNT SWITCH SERVICE.

Terms and conditions.

To qualify for the £125 switching offer (“the offer”) you must use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ and meet the following conditions:

Use the 'Current Account Switch Service' to switch into an open new or existing Reward Current Account, Ultimate Reward Current Account (£15 monthly fee), or an existing Current Account if opened before 3rd December 2016.
    Use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ to transfer all the active credits and debits from the bank account that you hold with another bank and close this account.
    You are not eligible for the offer if:

you are switching to a Basic Account, Youth Account or a Student Account;
    you have previously received any other offer or benefits for switching to a Halifax bank account at any point since January 2012;
    you are a Bank of Scotland bank account customer switching to Halifax;
    The bank you are switching from does not participate in the Current Account Switch Service. To find out if your bank participates, visit the Payments Council website https://www.simplerworld.co.uk
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    No reason why not.

We've had a BoS current account for years and were allowed to switch a dormant current account held elsewhere to Halifax for the £125.

One advantage was that each account came up on both the BoS and Halifax online banking pages, so I can log on to one or the other. I now only use one of them for online access.

When I called Halifax reference the above there was some head scratching and internal chat amongst their internet people - seems they were unaware of this dual access possibility - it's never been pulled so I assume it's OK !!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No reason why not.

We've had a BoS current account for years and were allowed to switch a dormant current account held elsewhere to Halifax for the £125.

One advantage was that each account came up on both the BoS and Halifax online banking pages, so I can log on to one or the other. I now only use one of them for online access.

When I called Halifax reference the above there was some head scratching and internal chat amongst their internet people - seems they were unaware of this dual access possibility - it's never been pulled so I assume it's OK !!!

They are one and the same bank - Halifax is just a brand name for Bank of Scotland.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 November 2017 at 7:20PM
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »

I was planning on the switching to the recent Clydesdale offer. But they had to send me out an authentic code to put in my application. Still not arrived a week later, so I think I've missed that one.
    Did you not phone them?
    If you started the process you would still qualify but the it was said the switch needed to be done by Nov 17th. My code never turned up but I phoned them ( several times) as they were inundated with requests.
    You could still phone and ask- think they are open until 8pm tonight. Not sure about w/e phone times
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Options
    No reason why not.

If you use telephone banking it refers to both Halifax & BOS . First time it happened I wondered how I had x5 Halifax a/cs!
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    They are one and the same bank - Halifax is just a brand name for Bank of Scotland.

I know that - but they don't always operate in tandem down at street level for customers.

For example I couldn't open Halifax Kid's Regular Saver for the grandkids at the local BoS.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    I know that - but they don't always operate in tandem down at street level for customers.

For example I couldn't open Halifax Kid's Regular Saver for the grandkids at the local BoS.

and yet tonight when I tried to order a BoS cheque book (required for savings!) on telephone I was told I had to order in branch because it will be the first I have ordered. When I murmured that's too far away: over the border! I was told I could order at my local Halifax.

So..... some things they do and some they don't!!
    Many thanks

• NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    So..... some things they do and some they don't!!

Correct - and there are only three Halifax branches in Scotland, last time I looked.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Did you not phone them?
    If you started the process you would still qualify but the it was said the switch needed to be done by Nov 17th. My code never turned up but I phoned them ( several times) as they were inundated with requests.
    You could still phone and ask- think they are open until 8pm tonight. Not sure about w/e phone times

I phoned after I read your post. They re-generated me a new code and told me if the first one turned up it wouldn't work but the new one would.

The first one turned up 3 days later. The new one came today. I got my Clydesdale B account opened and the switching process started. I will qualify for the £250 switch fee from them and I also get a £100 fee from First Direct for leaving.

Not bad £350 for a few minutes work.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    I phoned after I read your post. They re-generated me a new code and told me if the first one turned up it wouldn't work but the new one would.

The first one turned up 3 days later. The new one came today. I got my Clydesdale B account opened and the switching process started. I will qualify for the £250 switch fee from them and I also get a £100 fee from First Direct for leaving.

Not bad £350 for a few minutes work.

ha and you might have thanked me! but I don't mind sharing your bonus!!:rotfl:
    Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure