I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lucylocks wrote: »
    What works for me is grocery budget - for food and occasional bottle of bleach/toothpaste - then separate budget line for cleaning stuff - dishwasher tabs, laundry, bin bags etc. That way I don't get too disheartened by an epic food shop which actually is more household bits than food. I find this gives truer reflection on what we actually spend on food.

I also do a once month trip to bargain store - home bargains is favourite- where I pick up most cleaning stuff. They are cheapest I've found. To get a months worth in one trip reduces those irritating top up shops when you get tempted to chuck in other 'bargains' whivh you may not need

Thanks , maybe that's what I should do allocate £50 for dishwasher tablets etc. I love home bargains and agree I can't find anywhere cheaper for cleaning products. I went there yesterday and bought some stardrops that ppl talk about.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I love Stardrops, it's great stuff.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Just double checked and the barclaycard balance is £5529.67:( am I setting myself up to fail having this challenge 🤔
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Hi,

I was talking to my dh yesterday about our debt and if we carry on the way we are we might not be able to buy a house ever as by the time we clear our debt and save for a deposit we won't be given a mortgage! I was also talking to him about the fact that we can't really cut back ( apart from the holidays that are already booked) and that the main issue is we need to up our income . I'm the only one that can do this as my husband works shifts. I decided I will start my business back up properly in September and need to dedicate more time to it. I also need to make a point of doing surveys more, I know neither of these things will make me millions but even if I can make a few hundred more a month ( on top of what I already need) , it all adds up! I feel like I'm the only one that can change our life. The debt is destroying us and even affecting our relationship, I have depression and aches and pains which the doctor's are putting it down to my depression and anxiety. I need to change things by earning more money from home.... all I can do is try so fingers crossed!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Hi,

I've had a busy day with packing and cleaning.

Child benefit came in today so made a small payment to the barclaycard.... it all adds up. I have checked all accounts and left them all in order before we go away. I have cash for our spends and the idea is to not use the cards! Coming back with cash would be a bonus.

I feel very focused on making more money when I'm back!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

Just final bits of packing and panicking and then we are off!

I'm due some money today so will have another look at the banks and see if another payment can be made.

I will not go over budget, I will not go over budget, I will not go over budget!:)
  • debtaghh
    Options
    We are packed and on our way. I thought I would use my time wisely and have sorted my profiles out on the survey sites which will hopefully give me more surveys. I'm going to now see what other sites are good.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It is difficult to give advice or comment too much on your progress as I don't think you have either said how much you are in debt by or posted an soa. Therefore we don't know if you are making progress but your recent posts have read very similarly to the ones when you started this diary a year ago and you sound very despondent. The holidays definitely seem to be a recurring theme and the struggle to find money for them.

If you balance transfer constantly and only pay minimums I doubt the debt is going down but only you know this. I hope it is and you manage to buy a house eventually as it seems that is the goal. Upping your income will help.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 August 2017 at 3:43PM
    Options
    debtaghh,

Have a lovely break, it'll do you wonders :)

Come back full of energy (well as much as you can with 3 smalls) and remember nothing is unfixable :) and you will be able to own a house.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Hope you have a lovely break and it recharges the batteries.

Have fun and take care.x.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback