Capquest default on credit file-can this turn into a ccj?

Just check my credit report for the first time. My score is on Equifax 361.

I looked through everything, and everything is excellent/good, apart from a default from Capquest. This was placed on my report 11th November 2010.

I thought the debt was a year or so older than that, but I do believe I owe it. I moved and just forgot about it. It's £349

My questions are:

Could this turn into a ccj?

I thought this was for a Next credit account, but it says 'bank default' on it? I definitely have no bank defaults.

Should I pay a company like capquest?

We are in the process of trying to rent, this is stressing me
Thanks

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    If you have an outstanding debt that you are not paying then it is always possible the creditor (original creditor or a debt collector who has bought the debt) could commence court action against you.

If they do take you to court and a CCJ is granted then you have 1 month to repay the debt in full to stop it going on your credit file.

Have capquest written to you regarding this debt?
    You need to be certain what it relates to before you consider paying it. You could try the prove it letter which will confirm to you if it is the next account or if it is something else - Letter when you know nothing about about the debt - AKA "Prove it" letter

The default won't be visible on a rental credit check. A CCJ would be.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • It says last updated 16/11/11 What does this mean? They wrote to me following this date on aug 2012 and stated it was next directory, but the Bank Default on the default confused me.

Would it be best for me to pay it online?

How do you go about showing it as settled on your credit file?
    Thanks
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Last updated is the last time they sent any data to the credit reference agencies in relation to that debt.

I wouldn't pay it unless you know for sure what the debt is and that it is your debt and you agree you owe it.

Once a debt is paid the owner of the debt updates the credit reference agencies to show it is paid off and the default has been satisfied. This usually takes 2-6 weeks from when you pay.

If you do decide to pay and if the default date is substantially later than when you defaulted on the debt (more than 6months) then you may want to consider complaining about the default date shown and ask them to amend it.

The default will stay on your file for 6years from the date of default so if you can get the default date pushed back to an earlier date then it will drop off your file sooner.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family