Mortgage debt vs credit card dept

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum but I wanted some advice.

I’m looking to move property next year hopefully upgrading from a 2 bed Flat to a house.

Currently I’m on an interest only mortgage with C&G (now Lloyd’s) and I’ve been taking advantage of the record low base rate.
For a couple of years I’ve been making overpayments on my mortgage rather than going on a fixed rate. I have about £140k left on the mortgage with about 15 years left I believe.

I also have incurred £20k credit card dept over the years which are all on 0% balance transfers. I’ve also been making overpayments on them to slowly bring them down.

My question is this...do I concentrate on the mortgage or the credit card dept?
Obviously if I was paying interest on the credit cards then they would be the obvious answer. That said, I do have to pay a small fee every time I transfer them to another card.

I’ve been told to get rid of my credit card dept first because when I re mortgage the lenders won’t like the look of them. If this is true, do I go back to paying interest only on my mortgage for a while & our that extra money into paying my cards off quicker or not bother?

I would also like to know if it would be advisory to swap my interest only mortgage to a fixed or tracker given the rise. My thoughts are sticking to interest only.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport