Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay

Hey,
2 years ago my mother went behind my back and gout out a number of catolgues in my name, and maxed out all of them. I only found out last year, when she wes very apologetic (she's blacklisted herself btw so turned on me) and promised to pay them. It's now 2 years later and I've been warned that bailifs are after
My possessions, as I'm only on a minimum wage job and I can't afford to pay all of my mums debt in my name; even though I know I shouldn't have it anyway!! As I'm a hard worker, I'm actually a apprentice who works 45 hours a week, and have intentions of eventually qualifying and a few years down the line getting a mortgage. However when I found this out my whole life dreams were crushed, as when even I tried to apply for a credit card just to help boost my credit rating I wasn't even accepted. My mother has no remorse and doesn't care for what she's done, but also I DO NOT want her to go prison for this, as in my heart I just couldn't let that happen. So I need to try and find a way to get my name out of this equation, is there anyway possible. I'm just a 19 year old in desperate need of help!!!!!

Thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Easy. Call the police and report the crime. Simples.
  • damoC
    damoC Posts: 62 Forumite
    As above. Call the police she's comitted fraud. I highly doubt she will to to prison. She will probably just get a caution and to pay a fine and costs. IF you reprt it I imagine you'd be able to get the creditors to stop chasing you due to it being a crime that's not your fault.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    She can only receive a caution if she admits the offence at the Police Station and there will not be any fine or costs. Only a court can impose that penalty.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    1. Who told you baliffs are after your possessions?
    2. How did your mother open credit accounts in your name 2 years ago when you were only 17?
  • Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not your problem if *someone used your name*

Call the police and tell your mother to simply do one.

bridges have been burned.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    damoC wrote: »
    As above. Call the police she's comitted fraud. I highly doubt she will to to prison.
    It depends on the specific charge that she is convicted of and the amount involved.
    She will probably just get a caution and to pay a fine and costs
    One or the other. The police have the power to caution. But they have no power to fine.
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    I would be turning my mum straight in.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Go to the citizens advice bureau. Under the age of 18 you cannot usually be held to have made a contract apart from for things needed like your food, shelter or housing.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Just a thought here before you go to the police, What did your Mum actually order from these catalogues? Did you benefit in any way from these orders? Presumably she will deny it and say you ordered the things for yourself and are trying to blame her, Were the items ordered more suitable for use by her or you?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Step 1: Obtain copies of all 3 of your credit reports.

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com

Step 2: Report ID theft to police in order to obtain a crime reference number:
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud_protection/identity_fraud

Step 3: Write to all lenders on your files who your mum has taken out accounts in your name and inform them that

a) the account was taken out fraudulently by ID theft

b) supply them with the crime reference number so that they know you have reported it to the police and if they need to pursue costs they know who to contact

c) Ask them to remove the accounts from your files

Step 4: Sign up for CIFAS protective registration to prevent your mum from doing this again in the future.
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure