Remember you're STILL a Womble - 2017 challenge

Options

Comments

• miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    I would second a bubble machine, but then my DS1 punched the head of the inflatable bride balloon as a joke, and it came off and spent the rest of the reception floating on the ceiling. It is in most of the photos. If you are having an inflatable helium bride and groom, anchor it well.

That is fantastic xxx:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    I have a womble! I didn't count it last year, but I will count it this year, as it's so unexpected!
    Dd1 has math problems, and the teacher suggested math tutoring. In Belgium this is covered by the equivalent of NHS :), but only if the test shows a really bad result, which it did :( . There is a suspicion of dyscalculia :(.

So, last year, we went to the Paediatrician, who looked her over and said that physically all is fine, then to the Speech Therapist, who did the math test. Back to the Paediatrician who then prescribed 104 30-min sessions with the Speech Therapist, to be taken within a year. (In Belgium the Speech Therapist also gives math tutoring; yeah, I didn't expect it either.) So, at the end of the year the Speech Therapist did another test, and it shows that dd1 has improved a lot, but is still on dyscalculia level. We took the test to the Paediatrician, and he prescribed another 100 sessions! I was told this was not possible, but apparently, it can be done. Our advantage for the next 12 months is 100 x (€ 22.50 - €4) = € 1,850!! (GBP 1,550) We pay € 22.50 per session and get € 18.50 reimbursed.

Dd1 scores almost 100% on language, world orientation, crafts, religion, and sports (I know, the last 3 subjects are not really 'scoring' subjects ;)), and I think the results of the math test are low because she works slowly and does not finish in time. She has moments of brilliance, and a new calculating method has helped a lot, too. I'm letting her bake quite a lot at the moment, just so she understands the connection between numbers and real life :D

I'm also really pleased that she is receiving so much support. I have a lot of students with similar issues and I think one of the best things that you can do is to keep making that connection between numbers and real life. Baking is such a great way to do this with weights and measures and even cutting up the cake into sections can help with fractions etc. I think you're approach is fantastic and well done to your daughter on the progress made so far. :A
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Just to update - I got some table decorations for the wedding and some strawberry plants for the garden. When I moved house I brought my old rain butt, only because it had a crack in the bottom. I intend to drill big holes around it to make a big strawberry planter. Can't wait to get planting.

I got a squash racket with leather cover for 75p! Don't know how much they are in the shops but I was prepared to pay £5 for a secondhand one so I'll claim £4.25

Got DD1 a new mini metal stacked veg steamer - saw one in JL that I liked last week but it was £20 - got one today for £7.50 saving £12.50
    Got 14 massive steaks for £20 off the meat van. He said £40 worth per bag of 7 so that would have been £80 so I'm going to claim £20 (They are gorgeous - steak for tea yummy).
    Got DD1 some vintage nike trainer/pump things which she loves and she said they sell for hundreds on eBay (may nick them back off her now). She loves them. I've seen similar in the shops for about £60 but would only have paid £15 for them second hand - they're almost mint condition so I'll claim a £12 gain as I only paid £3 for them.

DD2 got a few designer items which she loves but she paid for them herself out of her PM but I just love taking her as she learns about the value of money and totally loves a bargain. Disappointed that I won't be able to go again next week as I'll be back at work but there's always the weekends!!

Hope everyone's having a great day. xxx
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Great Car Boot bargains there MEP.
    I would never have thought of a weekday CB. Will have to have a look and see if there are any around here.

Siebrie - What brilliant news! Well done.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had a Shakespeare womble today. I saw a coin in the road and wasn't sure if it was a 2p or not ;)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Just to update - I got some table decorations for the wedding and some strawberry plants for the garden. When I moved house I brought my old rain butt, only because it had a crack in the bottom. I intend to drill big holes around it to make a big strawberry planter. Can't wait to get planting.

I got a squash racket with leather cover for 75p! Don't know how much they are in the shops but I was prepared to pay £5 for a secondhand one so I'll claim £4.25

Got DD1 a new mini metal stacked veg steamer - saw one in JL that I liked last week but it was £20 - got one today for £7.50 saving £12.50
    Got 14 massive steaks for £20 off the meat van. He said £40 worth per bag of 7 so that would have been £80 so I'm going to claim £20 (They are gorgeous - steak for tea yummy).
    Got DD1 some vintage nike trainer/pump things which she loves and she said they sell for hundreds on eBay (may nick them back off her now). She loves them. I've seen similar in the shops for about £60 but would only have paid £15 for them second hand - they're almost mint condition so I'll claim a £12 gain as I only paid £3 for them.

DD2 got a few designer items which she loves but she paid for them herself out of her PM but I just love taking her as she learns about the value of money and totally loves a bargain. Disappointed that I won't be able to go again next week as I'll be back at work but there's always the weekends!!

Hope everyone's having a great day. xxx

It is so good letting them learn about money by actually using it. Pocket money is a great invention in my humble opinion.

• Bobarella
    Options
    £1.80 on YS mince
    £1.00 on YS peas
    1p roadkill
    I saw a 5p the other day but would have to have asked two pensioners out of the way to get at it so resisted. Brooded about it all day!

I'm surprised they didn't nab it themselves :rotfl:

• Bobarella
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    I have a womble! I didn't count it last year, but I will count it this year, as it's so unexpected!
    Dd1 has math problems, and the teacher suggested math tutoring. In Belgium this is covered by the equivalent of NHS :), but only if the test shows a really bad result, which it did :( . There is a suspicion of dyscalculia :(.

So, last year, we went to the Paediatrician, who looked her over and said that physically all is fine, then to the Speech Therapist, who did the math test. Back to the Paediatrician who then prescribed 104 30-min sessions with the Speech Therapist, to be taken within a year. (In Belgium the Speech Therapist also gives math tutoring; yeah, I didn't expect it either.) So, at the end of the year the Speech Therapist did another test, and it shows that dd1 has improved a lot, but is still on dyscalculia level. We took the test to the Paediatrician, and he prescribed another 100 sessions! I was told this was not possible, but apparently, it can be done. Our advantage for the next 12 months is 100 x (€ 22.50 - €4) = € 1,850!! (GBP 1,550) We pay € 22.50 per session and get € 18.50 reimbursed.

Dd1 scores almost 100% on language, world orientation, crafts, religion, and sports (I know, the last 3 subjects are not really 'scoring' subjects ;)), and I think the results of the math test are low because she works slowly and does not finish in time. She has moments of brilliance, and a new calculating method has helped a lot, too. I'm letting her bake quite a lot at the moment, just so she understands the connection between numbers and real life :D

Siebre - I'm so glad your daughter is getting the help she needs. And it's brilliant for you that you can get it at such a low cost. The baking idea is very good.

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought a BNWT Nike Team Sideline rain jacket from eBay for £14.99 including P & P which saved me £22 on the next lowest price of £36.99 that I could find it elsewhere :T

#13 current total = £3346.49
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

Great going with all the wombles :T Some funny and fantastic posts & news folks :);)

Wishing you all an extra special wombling day! :);)
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family