Post Office Refusing Pre Paid Mail

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some sub post offices are very small and double as a local shop. If you go in before Christmas, you can scarcely move for parcels and customers can't easily get to buy items from the shelves.

It is one thing if the parcels have provided some income and quite another if they get nothing from them apart from blocking up their shop every day.

Is it possible to get RM to pick the parcels up?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    martindow wrote: »
    Some sub post offices are very small and double as a local shop. If you go in before Christmas, you can scarcely move for parcels and customers can't easily get to buy items from the shelves.

It is one thing if the parcels have provided some income and quite another if they get nothing from them apart from blocking up their shop every day.

Is it possible to get RM to pick the parcels up?

Most business accounts have an option for collection, the price varies on the scheme and the volume that can be guaranteed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Short-sighted but not untypical of POs which seems to attract the 'jobsworth' types.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    I used to use Paypal postage, and my sub post master asked could I just buy the stamps there, as they do not make any money out of pre-paid. So I changed to buying it there, as it's important to support local business.

My current local has a lady who drops off about 20 to 30 pre-paid labels each day - it takes the post mistress probably 20 minutes to process the lot. Meanwhile a queue forms behind, and you do see people huffing and puffing and walking out - she must be losing trade, and also not getting paid to handle them.

I do sympathise, especially as now Royal Mail is privately owned, so the 'free' handing of the parcels benefits the shareholders of RM, but not the sub post office doing the nitty gritty.
  • bxboards wrote: »
    I used to use Paypal postage, and my sub post master asked could I just buy the stamps there, as they do not make any money out of pre-paid. So I changed to buying it there, as it's important to support local business.

One of the reasons I’m so unwilling to change besides the fact that it’s quicker, queues don’t form because item can be sanded in very quickly or that my book keeping is simpler (there is one postage transaction a month) is that my post master is complete #@**?!#.

I’ve seen customers submit complains about him to other members of staff, he constantly up sells people services they don’t need, sometimes by asking thing like “would you like it there tomorrow”. Which the answer is yes because who wouldn’t, then they get charged £6.45 for special delivery. And to top it all off he has a tendency of asking me things like who my suppliers are and for eBay tips which send’s alarm bell’s wring in my head. I need to be quick thing to come up with a lie.

Plus are they going to increase their work day by 10 minutes six days a week make their bookkeeping long and spend an extra £3-4 a day so I earn an extra £4-5?

The reality is he has a business which is heavily depended on a third party (like I am with eBay) and what they say goes. If he has a problem it should with him and Royal Mail. However as a customer I’m being dragged into the rift that Royal Mail has created.
  • he constantly up sells people services they don’t need, sometimes by asking thing like “would you like it there tomorrow”. Which the answer is yes because who wouldn’t, then they get charged £6.45 for special delivery.
    IMO, I don't see that sort of thing deserves a complaint.
    Surely anyone who uses a mail delivery service in the UK knows that the faster the delivery service used, the more it generally costs and anyone who is offered and accepts next day delivery should expect to pay more for this.
    How would the PO worker know the customer doesn't need next day delivery if they are asked if they want it and say yes?
  • How would the PO worker know the customer doesn't need next day delivery if they are asked if they want it and say yes?

He could be a bit more direct and instead of saying "would you like it there tomorrow" say something like. "I have a service which guarantees it to be there tomorrow and it will cost £6.45. Would you like this?"

Basically I think the post master is being dishonest and tricking people into spending more than they need to.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    He could be a bit more direct and instead of saying "would you like it there tomorrow" say something like. "I have a service which guarantees it to be there tomorrow and it will cost £6.45. Would you like this?"

Basically I think the post master is being dishonest and tricking people into spending more than they need to.

Well on the one hand up selling goes on in any business, and that's what it is." On the other hand I have seen *little old ladies* for example sold special delivery and it did make me wince a little.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I don't disagree with this. Business-wise I think it's quite short sighted. I've seen people ask for something to get there next day who would be happy to settle for a first class stamp.
    What they should do is have a list of services on display and the price ranges this would allow customers to work out what they want and get served quicker. I don't often buy an RM service in a post office but when I do I know what I want so I'll ask, for example, "can I send this second class large letter?" I still get them trying to sell me a special delivery.
  • RFW wrote: »
    Business-wise I think it's quite short sighted. I've seen people ask for something to get there next day who would be happy to settle for a first class stamp.

It is short sighted. I’ve seen this happen to people too and it’s one of the reasons I don’t care I’m not giving him money and that I actively go out my way to avoid using his Post Office because he's not a nice person to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure