Don't be scammed like me

PKPK_2
PKPK_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 19 April 2017 at 8:48AM in Consumer rights
I want to let you know that I was scammed by Mac Studios
(Text removed by MSE Forum Team). I paid them £1,975.00 for modelling photo shoot for my 14-year-old daughter. They promised that the portfolio will lead to various modelling jobs. And the Z card with her stats details should have sufficient information for agencies to contact us. They liaise with Six models who are supposed to refer potential models to agencies but all they do is give links to agencies for you to contact yourself. I fill cheated as talking to another child modelling agency (Bizzykidz) informed me that kids do not require hair and makeup for their photo shoots and each agency will take their own images, which means further costs. I ended up paying Bizzykidz £190.00 and we are still waiting for jobs from Bizzykidz. Should I contact Ombudsman or BBC Watchdog as vulnerable parents like me are being scammed.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:49AM
    I have no knowledge of the industry, but they do seem to be upfront about their fees on their website

http://www.macfashionphotography.com/products-and-services/

For Bizzykidz it looks like you upload your own images

https://www.bizzykidz.com/application

Modelling work can never be guaranteed and it's crazy to pay c.£2000 on the off chance! Hopefully somebody will be along soon who has experience of working in the industry and will be able to advise.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's not nice to be scammed, but what makes you think you are particularly vulnerable?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Pop_Up_Pirate Posts: 801 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:49AM
    No.
    Chalk it up to experience and move on.
    If you think your child will like the model scene (lots of travelling, waiting around being bored, away from home and friends) then join apply to a reputable agency. If they take you on, you won't have to pay.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Do MAC 'promise' anywhere on their website that the portfolio will definitely lead to modelling jobs?

Are you complaining about Bizzykids as well as MAC?
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:54AM
    At 14 your daughter would not be consider a kid in modelling terms. They walk the cat walks at that age.
  • elsien wrote: »
    It's not nice to be scammed, but what makes you think you are particularly vulnerable?

Well they did pay a modelling agency £2000 for nothing so yeah, I'd say they were vulnerable.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Do MAC 'promise' anywhere on their website that the portfolio will definitely lead to modelling jobs?

I'm willing to bet a £1000 to a penny they don't. They make a living out of fleecing idiots; they know how to stay on the right side of the law.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Well they did pay a modelling agency £2000 for nothing so yeah, I'd say they were vulnerable.
    This ^^^^ seems to contradict your description below:
    I'm willing to bet a £1000 to a penny they don't. They make a living out of fleecing idiots; they know how to stay on the right side of the law.
    I know which word I'd use.

Re MAC's website - I doubt very much that it promises that either.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    This ^^^^ seems to contradict your description below:

I know which word I'd use.

Re MAC's website - I doubt very much that it promises that either.

Idiots are vulnerable people though, surely. Where's the contradiction? It's not their fault they are stupid enough to fall for obvious scams; they need protecting.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    PKPK wrote: »
    I want to let you know that I was scammed by Mac Studios
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team). I paid them £1,975.00 for modelling photo shoot for my 14-year-old daughter. They promised that the portfolio will lead to various modelling jobs. And the Z card with her stats details should have sufficient information for agencies to contact us. They liaise with Six models who are supposed to refer potential models to agencies but all they do is give links to agencies for you to contact yourself. I fill cheated as talking to another child modelling agency (Bizzykidz) informed me that kids do not require hair and makeup for their photo shoots and each agency will take their own images, which means further costs. I ended up paying Bizzykidz £190.00 and we are still waiting for jobs from Bizzykidz. Should I contact Ombudsman or BBC Watchdog as vulnerable parents like me are being scammed.

It is not a scam. You are paying for photos, and if you look at the wording in your contract, it will be rather vague about any jobs and agency work.

Rule ONE for modelling - NEVER pay for anything until you have earned money through modelling work.

A good modelling agency can spot talent so will happily pay for the portfolio as they know it will make them money. They then take a cut of any money earned from mobs.

This info can be found out very easily. You just need to do some research and read contracts carefully before signing up to anything.

My cousin (age 13) models and has an agent who does not charge her, and takes an agreed cut of her money as per her contract.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure