3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Comments

• lilyflower7
    lilyflower7 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Hi! :wave: I'm hoping I can join this thread, I've just had to borrow money from my EF to pay an urgent-ish bill and while I know that's what it's for, I don't feel very on top of it at the moment. I didn't even realise what my balance was until I logged in yesterday :o so I'm hoping this thread will help me be more motivated to put money in and build up my EF.

I have £802.30 at the moment and I'd like to start with an initial goal of £3,000. :)
    SPC #119: £86 banked
    3-6 month EF #79: £519.23/£3,000
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Hi! :wave: I'm hoping I can join this thread, I've just had to borrow money from my EF to pay an urgent-ish bill and while I know that's what it's for, I don't feel very on top of it at the moment. I didn't even realise what my balance was until I logged in yesterday :o so I'm hoping this thread will help me be more motivated to put money in and build up my EF.

I have £802.30 at the moment and I'd like to start with an initial goal of £3,000. :)

Welcome to the thread lilyflower7, :hello:

Of course you can join.

There's lots of support and motivation here and when Helen pops in she will give you a number and pop your progress and target on the first page.

Keep us updated with things, we will cheer you on ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • skye_blue
    skye_blue Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hi guys

u ok helen

please add £20 to my total

i asked on my mortgage free wannabe diary if anyone knew if car boots were allowed on easter sunday, - no replies but just in case anyone was thinking of doing one our local one is going ahead and donating half the fees to the church

thanks and keep going everyone
  • Hi all

Im off the block again with £85 in the pot! #68

woo hoo it feels great!
    DDx
    Started again 25th December 2017
    Current tracking - £7,955.84/ £18,282.25 to pay off. (31.12.19)
  • skye_blue wrote: »
    hi guys

u ok helen

please add £20 to my total

i asked on my mortgage free wannabe diary if anyone knew if car boots were allowed on easter sunday, - no replies but just in case anyone was thinking of doing one our local one is going ahead and donating half the fees to the church

thanks and keep going everyone

I'm an avid car booter (can you guess that from my username?:rotfl:) and honestly don't know if they're allowed or not:o. I know I've done them on Easter Monday a few times but as I'm busy doing other things on the Sunday I don't take much notice. You've got me thinking now;)

I know when I used to help out in a family furniture store at the weekends that Christmas Day and Easter Sunday were the only 2 days of the year when stores (real bricks-and-mortar ones that is) of a certain size were not allowed to open by law. Even that may have changed now though.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    My being away has meant that I could play around with my bank account balances this morning and I have rounded up my emergency funds to £400 total today.
    I have also added a small amount to my next holiday fund. the plan is to top both funds up equally with what ever I have surplus as although I just got back from Portugal I am due to go to Spain in August with my BF so I will need to at my way with that. I did have €215 left in my holiday purse so that's a good start for me.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • wegle
    wegle Posts: 546 Forumite
    Hello everyone, sorry I've not been able to update for a while. I actually had to go into hospital for an operation so have been off work and a little incapacitated for the last 4 weeks. Unfortunately I need to drop down my saved so far figure #74 to £422.62. Weird issue, I got a promotion at work (yay!) and decided to start paying into the works pension so I got a fair amount less salary this month so had to use a bit of savings just to see me through until I get paid this month.

Good thing is I've rejigged my whole budget and it looks like I'll actually be able to save a lot more each month from here on out.
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Happy (belated!) April everyone!!!

So I did make my usual payment on 01st Month:

Amount added = £250
    3-6 Month EF = £3050/£4500

However... on the 18th of this month I'm going to clear the following:

Sainsbury's CC : £825
    M&S CC : £525
    TESCO CC : £550

This will take me back down to £1150/£4500 but I will be debt free, and £225/month better off from my April pay packet as no CC payments outgoing. I'll still have my ISA (now £3683.65!)... and I'm going to go at this challenge with renewed vigour!!!

:)
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning Everyone... :)

I think things have turned a corner for now...thank goodness....I am feeling much better health-wise, my working is flourishing, my emotional state is better this week and I'm eating better...So all in all MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the last several months...Hope it continues this way :D:D:D

I've also managed to FINALLY put another Fiver in my £6000 Emergency Fund and my General £1000 Emergency Fund...So I'm really pleased with myself....It's a slow progress but I'm happy with that.... :)

So here's to the Updates... xXx :)

HoneyBee83 - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing AMAZING!! Keep on going....How is the pooch doing now? xXx :)

Dragon Lily - I've Updated the First Page...You go over the £1000-mark...WELL DONE and you're doing AWESOME!! Keep on moving forwards....I'm feeling much better thank you hun xXx :)

carbootcrazy - Thank you so much for helping our Members out and supporting all of us...It's much appreciated...How are you doing? xXx :)

lilyflower7 - WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME to our little family...it's lovely to have you here...and you most welcome to be here...I have added you to the Members List on Page One...You're already doing INCREDIBLE....I know you can stay motivated xXx :)

Dobbibill - Thank you for welcoming our newest Member...I really appreciate you always being so lovely...I hope you are well hun xXx :)

skye blue - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing BRILLIANTLY!! Keep on going....I am doing okay thanks hun xXx :)

Determined diva - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing AMAZING!! I know you can do this... xXx :)

Mooloo - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing INCREDIBLE as always....Keep going....How was Portugal? I hope you had an amazing time... xXx :)

wegle - I've Updated the First Page....You're doing BRILLIANTLY!! Keep on going....How are you now after the Operation? We are always here for you hun xXx :)

abundant1972 - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing AMAZING!! I've put the Total as £3050 but can you confirm that is right for now? If you're going to be Debt Free that's so worth using your Emergency Fund....Do let us know when that happens as I'm sure we will all want to celebrate with you xXx :)
  • HoneyBee83
    HoneyBee83 Posts: 361 Forumite
    I cancelled my pet insurance last year because they were very selective in what they'd actually pay out for. Even when the treatment was claimable the excess made it barely worth it and then the premium went up the next year as a result anyway. I'll take my chances with what I can manage to save. I'd never neglect getting any treatment my lovely cat needed and I'd find it somehow;)

I actually decided to cancel mine this week. None of the vet visits would of been paid out by insurance so I have decided to pop the saving into the Emergency Fund. I spoke to my vets and they said they would more than happily let me pay monthly on a large bill using a standing order and a decent first payment... Sorted!

Managed to put £20 into my EF this week so I'm now at £135.00 :T
    Emergency Savings #73 = £1,500/£2,000
    Savings Pot £1,440.00
    Xmas 2018=£100/£300 Australia =£0.00/6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business