Small companies - where do you look?

Hi,

Please could someone help me and tell me where I might look to find jobs with small and medium sized companies?

My partner is a software engineer and has worked for a year now since graduating from uni.

We are moving areas and although he has been offered a permanent job at the company he has been contracting with it will be 60 miles from where we will be living.

Personally I can't believe he's even considering staying there with petrol costs and things, so I am looking for jobs for him in the area we are moving to (hertfordshire). Thing is he is insistant that he works for a small or medium sized company becuase he has worked for a large company before and absolutely hated it, but the thing is I haven't a clue where to look for jobs advertised by smaller companies. All the ones on the recruitment sites seem to be for large companies.

Does anyone know where I might look to find jobs advertised for the smaller companies at all?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

Comments

• lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Personally if I were you I would research into the industry you are looking for via Yellow Pages, or the industry version of their personal directory, for example for me I go to RIBA which is the institute that applies to architects.

Then once you have found the list, go through them and call and ask if they have any vacancies and are likely to have any in the coming months.

Small businesses rarely advertise in my experience. Although some may be found in local papers, so it might be worth looking in those online. Herts and Essex Gazette covers most of Herts, so you could start with that.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For research purposes the local paper's business pages can be quite useful.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport