How do I get a € Euro bank account?

Comments

• Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May 2017 at 7:09PM
    adindas wrote: »
    Did you8 apply using mobile apps or filling the form and send it by post offered in thi slink ?

https://www.kbc.ie/KBC/media/Current-Account-PDFs/Basic-Current-Account-Form-13092016.pdf

I printed off the basic bank account application, wrote it out then scanned it back into my computer. I then sent it as well as scans for my passport, driving license and 3 different bank statements to salesenquiries@kbc.ie .

You cannot apply via the app for a basic account.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I am afraid, I can't remember the details of my application. I definitely used my UK address as that's the only address I have, and have had, for about the last 30 years. I have a german passport though, perhaps that made the difference. Sounds you might be better off trying KBC, or perhaps Britline.
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What about the basic current account. is there any info on their website about this?
    https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account/basic
    The KBC Basic Current Account offers customers who currently do not have a current account the essential day to day banking features. With your Basic Current Account, you can receive your income, pay your bills and transfer money.

Free ATM & Cheque lodgement fees
    No quarterly maintenance fees
    Free Contactless Debit Card purchases & Cashback*
    Free Direct Debits and Standing Orders
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What about using your debit card to withdraw cash from cash machine in euro zone outside Ireland. Is there any charge for it ??
    No charge for withdrawing in Euros.
  • iDragon
    iDragon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Other than initially asking for me to send in a different proof of address, I didn't hear anything till I received opening papers in post. And that took about two or so weeks I suppose.
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 262 Forumite
    I have just tried applying for an account with DKB online and was refused because I am not in Germany. I thought you could open these without being in Germany?
    I need to open a euro account within the EU, as we are leaving :(
    I will be working in Malta for some time, possibly permanently and I don't want my main account to be in Malta as there is a strange law that allows landlords to take money without authorisation.
    Citibank want you to have at least £150,000 balance (never going to happen!)
    Any other suggestions?
  • mjdh1957
    mjdh1957 Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I went with KBC in Ireland. https://www.kbc.ie

Non-resident and able to open the account online by uploading scanned documents. I'm intending to move to Ireland later this year so currently transferring money over
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
  • evangelos
    evangelos Posts: 24 Forumite
    I think they launched it a week ago.

In 2 minutes i opened an account in USD, one in EUros and one in GBP. Great for freelancers and everyone in this time and age :) You will get proper IBANs, UK sort codes, account numbers etc

The money is not protected by the FSCS so bear this in mind.

It costs only 50p to move the money out to a "normal" bank...
  • odalay
    odalay Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Chapuys wrote: »

Hi Chapuys, interesting what you've posted about the KBC account - please could you or anyone offer some advice on which account would be best to apply for? The Basic Bank account or the Normal Current Account with KBC?

I assume the basic account will be fine and its free. Would there be any advantage to opening the normal current account with the quarterly fee of 6euros?

I will be out in France alot in the coming months so would be using it out there.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • iDragon
    iDragon Posts: 18 Forumite
    no real advantage that I can see, but if enough cash goes through account basic account gets converted to regular at end of year anyway. ( about 19k )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure