IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CPM Parking Charge for Unauthorised Parking

Comments

• Would this be in an area in Blackburn by any chance? I've just received one of these letters this morning. Apparently the contravention took place on 50th October and the letter was sent out on 11th October saying I've got 14 days to pay. The picture shows that I'm not actually parked in the yellow box, so not sure I've actually parked incorrectly. Incidentally, I've never noticed any signs either. Going to have another look next time I go down. Have you heard any more? Did you appeal?
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fclarke wrote: »
    Would this be in an area in Blackburn by any chance? I've just received one of these letters this morning. Apparently the contravention took place on 50th October and the letter was sent out on 11th October saying I've got 14 days to pay. The picture shows that I'm not actually parked in the yellow box, so not sure I've actually parked incorrectly. Incidentally, I've never noticed any signs either. Going to have another look next time I go down. Have you heard any more? Did you appeal?

50th of October? *confused*

Your best bet is to read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES, send the relevant template letter you will find there, and start your own thread if you need further help.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Fclarke wrote: »
    Would this be in an area in Blackburn by any chance? I've just received one of these letters this morning. Apparently the contravention took place on xxth October and the letter was sent out on 11th October saying I've got 14 days to pay.

The picture shows that I'm not actually parked in the yellow box, so not sure I've actually parked incorrectly. Incidentally, I've never noticed any signs either. Going to have another look next time I go down. Have you heard any more? Did you appeal?

Just read the NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread, first. It's near the top.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Murlton
    Murlton Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Quick update.

After huge backlash from the local community since 100s of people are getting these PCNs suddenly the signs on the car park have changed, they have now added signs to the entrance! Is this something you can use in a defence? Clearly they didn't think the signs were clear enough, so they added more in a better place!

However, they have ignored my initial appeal and since I didn't use any special delivery that proves I sent them a letter.. I'm short on appeal proof! Should I resend the letter with proof from the post office, or with recorded delivery?
  • Fruitcake
    Murlton wrote: »
    Quick update.

After huge backlash from the local community since 100s of people are getting these PCNs suddenly the signs on the car park have changed, they have now added signs to the entrance! Is this something you can use in a defence? Clearly they didn't think the signs were clear enough, so they added more in a better place!

However, they have ignored my initial appeal and since I didn't use any special delivery that proves I sent them a letter.. I'm short on appeal proof! Should I resend the letter with proof from the post office, or with recorded delivery?

The NEWBIES thread tells you to send from a Post Office counter, first class , and obtain a free proof of posting. If this is what you did then you have no problem as a letter is lawfully deemed to have been delivered by day 2.

You shouldn't send anything recorded or special delivery as they could refuse to sign for it and thus have proof it was never delivered.
  • Murlton
    Thanks Fruitcake! In that case I'll reprint the letter and send it them the correct way this time! Thanks!
  • Fruitcake
    Murlton wrote: »
    Thanks Fruitcake! In that case I'll reprint the letter and send it them the correct way this time! Thanks!

I suggest that you say you are sending this as a curtesy as they appear to have lost the original since you haven't had a reply. Tell them not to lose this one.
  • Hi guys, thanks for all the advice and I thought I'd give a quick update and ask your opinion on something.

I sent the template IPC appeal letter and they have just got back to me declining it (shock!). I am now in a position to just wait it out I guess!

A couple of things I just wanted to get your take on however in case this ever got more serious. First of all there are probably in the region of atleast 300 people who have received these fines suddenly in the past couple of months and likely more and more getting them every single day as I still see people marking outside the bays most times I drive past. Does the sheer volume of people who received a fine in such a small amount of time possibly say something about the clarity of the parking situation? Like maybe that's proof it's not clear enough signage? And is this something that would be useful evidence if it went to court?

Secondly, after speaking to the local MP he has informed me that after increasing pressure from the local council regarding the situation CPM have added more signs to the car park including one on entrance. He says this is an admission of guilt by CPM as it shows their signs were clearly not good enough in the first place and so more have been added. Again, is this an argument that could be used if it ever went to court?

Thanks for all the help guys, seriously.
  • Murlton
    Hi guys,

Just a quick update of what's happened since the above.

I've had probably 3 letters from a debt recovery agency who has been giving me the same old threatening rubbish, I've just ignored the letters.

However, I got a letter from Gladstone Solicitors today. It starts with:

"You have previously been written to by Debt Recovery Plus on behalf of UK Car Park Management Ltd requesting settlement of your outstanding parking charge. Due to the absence of payment or a valid appeal our client has instructed us to recover the total amount due to them as shown above. As all other attempts have failed, our client may now instruct us to take legal action against you............"

That's only a snippet of the letter, giving you a taste of what it's about.

My first thought is that I'm one of the unlucky ones they've decided to actually take action against, is that the case? Or is this still the same scare tactic that everyone else will deal with? How likely is it I'll receive another letter in a month asking me to go to court?

Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Who does it ask you to make payment to and does the ref start with a 1 or does it start with a 3?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure