Since Creators, USB modem works on Tablet but not on Laptop

KingL
KingL Posts: 1,713 Forumite
Hi

I have a (ZTE) USB modem that I use to connect to the internet over the mobile phone network. Since "upgrading" my laptop to Win 10 Creators edition, I have not been able to launch a connection. The (telstra) dialling app returns "The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly."

However, exactly the same setup on my tablet computer works just fine. Same OS, same dialler sotware, same drivers, same UI settings, same device.

I have removed/reinstalled the drivers, and dialler software

I infer that something else on my laptop is conflicting, but don't know what.

I have tried everything in here:
https://appuals.com/fix-error-633-modem-or-other-connecting-device-is-already-in-use/

The stuff (5 and 6) about conflicts on port 1723 looked hopeful, but didn't help. Is it possible I am using a different port? If so, how do I find out which one?

the nets.txt text is here:
http://textuploader.com/d0kei

any ideas ? It's OK on Anniversary edition, but I'm sure they won't let me stay on that forever.

TIA

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Would it not be easier, if its allowed on your mobile phone provider, just to create a hotspot on a capable mobile phone and then you can tether the Windows 10 laptop and your tablet to that?

It's documented here that Creators Update can break some older USB dongles/modems:
    https://tech.blorge.com/2017/05/03/windows-10-creators-update-usb-dongle/156033

But that being said if you're able to do it I think using a hotspot would be better in the long run for you.
  • KingL
    if its allowed on your mobile phone provider
    eer, it isn't.

I also use it as a secure connection when travelling. I use a different network provider in each country and most of them don't allow tethering. (So it's not like I can just switch to a different provider).
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    KingL wrote: »
    eer, it isn't.

I also use it as a secure connection when travelling. I use a different network provider in each country and most of them don't allow tethering. (So it's not like I can just switch to a different provider).

Maybe time to move to a MiFi. You can buy them for as little as £10.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Or free with many contracts, If the existing contract is outside minimum term you may even angle to get one free from your existing provider.
  • WAYT
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Or free with many contracts, If the existing contract is outside minimum term you may even angle to get one free from your existing provider.
    I use a different network provider in each country ...

They don't have a mobile broadband contract in the first place. So that's not the answer in this case. The things are cheap enough anyway.
  • WAYT
    Argos have a 3G Huawei 5330 with a 2GB EE SIM for £19.99.
    So that gives 2GB of data roaming for up to a month throughout the EU(once you activate the SIM) from the 15th of June.

Costs £0.99p to unlock to all networks.

Check the model number before proceeding with the purchase of the unlock code. Can actually be unlocked for free, but I can't be bothered to look for the calculator.

Otherwise you can find a second hand 4G EE Osprey on Gumtree for around £20.
  • KingL
    edited 10 June 2017 at 3:36PM
    Thanks for the answers.

Mifi is new territory for me.

Presumably you manage the wifi connection between computer and modem via the usual wifi settings on the computer, but what about þe connection between modem and telco? Some of the countries I go to have pay-per-minute data. So if this device wants an "always on" internet connection, it is no good for me. Does it come with a connection manager to dial and drop the call? I need that. If so, does it still work after you unlock the modem? I used to have a 3 dongle that connected itself as soon as you plugged in and you had no other control over it.

I need to swap the sim card over repeatedly, a different one for different countries. Roaming with a UK telco is non-starter. Is it easy to switch the sim card?

Don't network providers just see this as anoþer form of tethering?

I see you have to recharge it through USB. Freeing up a USB port is about the only advantage I can see of going this way, and it presumably won't be very free if its being used for chargiñg. I guess MiFi isn't out of the question, but I think I'd rather fix the old one if possible.

• KingL
    and the Connection Manager dialler software to dial/drop the session with the telco. ? Is there one? That is new and shiny and Win 10 Creators compatable? The sw I have at the moment might be the cause of the problem, so just buying new hardware might not help .
  • WAYT
    Thanks for the answers.

Mifi is new territory for me.

Presumably you manage the wifi connection between computer and modem via the usual wifi settings on the computer, but what about þe connection between modem and telco? Some of the countries I go to have pay-per-minute data. So if this device wants an "always on" internet connection, it is no good for me. Does it come with a connection manager to dial and drop the call? I need that. If so, does it still work after you unlock the modem? I used to have a 3 dongle that connected itself as soon as you plugged in and you had no other control over it.

I need to swap the sim card over repeatedly, a different one for different countries. Roaming with a UK telco is non-starter. Is it easy to switch the sim card?

Don't network providers just see this as anoþer form of tethering?

I see you have to recharge it through USB. Freeing up a USB port is about the only advantage I can see of going this way, and it presumably won't be very free if its being used for chargiñg. I guess MiFi isn't out of the question, but I think I'd rather fix the old one if possible.

You are jumping to erroneous conclusions.

With a MiFi you have both the option of connecting via USB as you do currently and connecting via the wireless connection that it creates.

When it comes to charging, you can charge via the mains via a USB plug or charge from your laptop via a USB lead.
    So you can use in exactly the same manner as you do with your USB modem if you wish. But there is really no need.
    If you connect via USB you can utilise a connection manager. But you have the options of connecting wirelessly and charging via mains electricity.

If you connect wirelessly, you connect to the connection manager via your Browser. You make the connection to the laptop and then type 192.168.1.1 into your address bar.
    Log in using the default admin:admin for username and password and you are in to the connection manager.
    Change the password from it's default immediately, so that no one can enter the interface other than yourself.
    You have total control over the connection.
    Once unlocked, you can use any SIM, from any country. The 2GB of Roaming is just a free bonus, as you can use it within the EU regardless of whether the unit is lock or unlocked.
    If you can use the SIM in the USB modem, you can use it in the MiFi. There is no difference in the method of connection.
    Now get on with it instead of wasting your time.
    I wouldn't have recommended it if it would put you in a worse position.
    You'll just wonder why you didn't do it before ;)
  • WAYT
    and the Connection Manager dialler software to dial/drop the session with the telco. ? Is there one? That is new and shiny and Win 10 Creators compatable? The sw I have at the moment might be the cause of the problem, so just buying new hardware might not help .

Sheesh man.....

You will have full control. It will have exactly the same function as you have now, but no compatibility problems, as you don't need any Windows 10 Driver compatibility when connecting wirelessly.
    Once again, everything you have now, just better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure