Gift ideas for new sibling

I am expecting our 2nd baby in about a months time and already have a 4 year old daughter. My daughter asked to get a small toy for her to give to the baby when it's born so we just picked a small cuddly toy but I thought it might be nice to get something little for 4yo from the baby but I'm stuck for ideas. I don't want to go mad (was thinking max £10 budget) and would really appreciate any suggestions. She's got loads of soft toys but I'm open to all other ideas.

Comments

• wendz86
    wendz86 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My dd will be 4 when our second baby comes and I was thinking of getting her a little toy car seat for her doll so she can join in with doing baby things.
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was thinking a baby doll for her to do the same as mummy. I am sure they are not that expensive and if you can get one with a nappy that is even better.
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    My DD got a litle waldorf-style doll when her brother was born. I made it, but you can buy them too. If she has lots of dolls already, maybe a little doll sling or bed?

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think this is a really nice idea and I did similar for my eldest when her sister was born. The littlie got her big sister a peppa pig teddy. Quite simple I guess, but there's only 2 years between them.

Like the idea of a dolly with the gubbins like nappy and bottle etc. that means older one can get involved when you are doing same with baby and not feel left out (prob best not to wake the older one in the middle of the night and not make her do the night changes and feeds though, haha).
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I've always bought books for an older sibling - that way, they can have some time of their own when mum or dad reads to them.
  • jp1964
    jp1964 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    I second books as well, I bought a cheap plastic box and a selection of books from charity shops for my eldest before her sister arrived (age gap of three years and four months) and baby's feed time became my eldest's story time, little one happily feeding away whilst my eldest had my attention and lots of stories, we never had any jealousy that way!

My first daughter soon got the idea of going to the book box when I sat down to feed her sister, she really looked forward to it.
    Making time for me now. Out with old habits and ideas, and open to change......:j
  • Hi MrsSippi,

I love seeing a baby girl more cute so I usually make a gift basket D.I.Y. hair bows and hair ribbons for her as a present. :)
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought my son a baby doll and pram before the baby arrived and bought a lot of cheap toys (cars from the charity shop mainly) and wrapped them up so when people arrived with baby gifts he had something small to open - it certainly saved us some tears!

But the main gift? A picture book showing him growing from a baby to a toddler with little captions that I made through photo box. He still reads now at 4 years and laughs at the comments about babies pooing, sleeping and eating all the time.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family