Samsung Gear

Options
Good morning

Anyone any experience of the Samsung Gear as a method of tracking running times etc. I need to update my Garmin and am not sure what to go for and wondered if I should go for something like this to connect to my phone.

Any suggestions gratefully received :-)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Comments

• SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning

Anyone any experience of the Samsung Gear as a method of tracking running times etc. I need to update my Garmin and am not sure what to go for and wondered if I should go for something like this to connect to my phone.

Any suggestions gratefully received :-)

I have a Samsung Gear S2 which I use all the time for tracking my steps. I don't go running so can't tell you what its like for running. I do absolutely love it though, it links directly with the Samsung health app on my phone and gives me information on calories burnt etc as well as being able to send text messages etc and see notifications from my phone. I find it very useful
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got the Samsung Gear earphones (came free with phone!). My view is that the concept is great and I think it will be the next gadget any sport person will want in the future, but it's a long way from being worth the money.

The concept of talking to the app is no different to Garmin, what makes it great is the concept of having both music and Garmin in one.

What I feel they've got right so far:
    - fit of earphones: very good and do stay fit even when running like maniac!
    - The sound quality good be better but I expected worse!
    - It can either link to phone or music can be stored
    - small size of the device is of course it's selling point

What doesn't work:
    - battery time. About one hour and I've found that mine then totally runs out, so need to charge each time before a run and even then I don't have the confidence it will last. Because of it, I've stopped bothering using it.
    - tests have supposedly shown that it picks up heart rate accurately. Well it certainly doesn't for me or I'll most likely be dead! According to it, I reached 210hbpm, when I was running at pace and went on for another hour! I thought maybe it was a one off so next time used the garmin band and sure enough, the Gear was way off.
    - I have found the same discrepancies with recording distance, way off Garmin and Strava.
    - Considering it interrupts your music every km/mile to tell you your stats -wrongly-, I found this very annoying (maybe there is a way for it to be recorded without the constant reminder!).
    - I personally found the tapping of the earphone not working well. Again, great in concept, but not in practice. Found that trying to skip a song turned it off, or just didn't work at all, same with increasing/lowering sound.

6 months later, I don't use it at all, much rather have my phone with Strava and bluetooth earphones. Not too bothered as it came free, but I would have wanted my money back if I'd paid it's full price.

I do await the next model though, when the above issues will be resolved.
  • easilyamused
    easilyamused Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I second the gripe about battery life. Having previously come from a Garmin vivofit with a battery that lasted a year and never needed charging, it was a real pain having to constantly charge this.
    I do a lot of mountain biking and rides are often 4 hours plus, and it always died before I finished the ride which rendered it useless really so I sold it.

I think if you're using it for just daily steps or an hour long exercise class it might just about last (assuming you switch off half the features that make it pretty in the first place!) but otherwise it's not really fit for purpose IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure