Company obliged to state delivery company used on website

Options
2»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    UK Mail always deliver my parcels to a house a mile away, the householder has delivered them to me thankfully.

I now ask suppliers if they use UK Mail or have them delivered to argos etc.

Fortyfoot
    Why do they do that?
    Is it a glitch in their system?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Most delivery companies are only as good as their local couriers. Time and again you find people slating RM, Amazon Logistics, Hermes, DPD, etc., etc., and ad infinitum.
    That is because courier like Hermes, DPD, UK Mail (DHL) , Yodel, DHL are all franchises, so the local drivers are self employed, so if you have a good driver then you wont have an issue
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Although this is an old thread resurrected, I have to say that I've found Yodel good in that they advise you of a 1 hour slot for delivery.

I still prefer Royal Mail as I know what time they are likely to turn up, Yodel can deliver anytime up to 9pm.
  • swabaxter
    Options
    Many companies do specify which delivery companies they use
    on their website.
    The recent MSE poll gave a snapshot of how people regard the service
    from the delivery carriers. This is a very coarse measurement but
    it was no surprise to see Yodel rated the poorest.
    What we really need is to see these companies publicly committing themselves to making improvements and even publishing
    indicators of their performance.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    swabaxter wrote: »
    on their website.
    What we really need is to see these companies publicly committing themselves to making improvements and even publishing
    indicators of their performance

Who do you think is going to end up paying for that?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    swabaxter wrote: »
    on their website.
    indicators of their performance

Would anyone really bother to research a courier's performance before making a purchase?
    I really doubt it.

I always check what the delivery method is (and the returns policy) when ordering online but I'd guess that the majority of people don't bother.
  • WhiteTigerr
    Options
    I would like to be given a list of options.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    I would like to be given a list of options.
    Options for what?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To have an option of couriers would cost more in admin and higher delivery costs as couriers price on volume of work.

Also, couriers collect so one pick is more manageable than arranging several pick ups.

Royal Mail require you to take parcels to to them so more expense in paying someone to take them to the depot.

Our deliveries often change hands on the way as not all couriers serve our area.

Many sites do say which courier they use and if they don't then ask them before ordering.

We have asked for a Royal Mail delivery when a courier delivery was much more expensive and it has been done. If the company want the order they will do it. if not, buy from somewhere else that will.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    To have an option of couriers would cost more in admin and higher delivery costs as couriers price on volume of work.

Also, couriers collect so one pick is more manageable than arranging several pick ups.

Royal Mail require you to take parcels to to them so more expense in paying someone to take them to the depot.

Our deliveries often change hands on the way as not all couriers serve our area.

Many sites do say which courier they use and if they don't then ask them before ordering.

We have asked for a Royal Mail delivery when a courier delivery was much more expensive and it has been done. If the company want the order they will do it. if not, buy from somewhere else that will.

These ^^^^ are the points I'd have made if that poster had returned to enlarge on that comment. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure