Thought I was starting to get sorted - but illness has set me back

Options

Comments

• AdviceSought
    Options
    MrsTinks wrote: »
    Long term though - what can you try to do to help yourself be less stressed? You're dealing with your debts, but would getting out for walks help? Finding a cheap/free hobby? Joining a charity and doing something you enjoy (I used to be very active with St John when I was younger - there are a plenthora of opportunities there, or contact local shelters and vonlunteer as a dog walker, spend time with someone elderly in your community) can help you focus on positives instead of negatives.

Yes work need to be dealt with, but try to do what you can to re-direct your self so you can then deal with them when you go back :)

I run quite a bit, and until a couple of weeks ago, I was always able to switch off from all my issues when doing that. Now, I find that I can't switch off, even when doing that.

Ultimately, the only way I can see my mental health improving is with a change in job, something my GP also said to me during my last appointment.

However, that is going to be the hardest thing to change...
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Personally I would phone, not email. It's more personal, and helps reduce the chance of something written down being misinterpreted - by either side!

On the job front, what steps are you taking to look for something new? Life is genuinely too short to stay in a job that makes you miserable - trust me from the position of one who knows, it's better by far to make the decision yourself than to wait until such time as for whatever reason your position becomes untenable.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • AdviceSought
    Options

On the job front, what steps are you taking to look for something new? Life is genuinely too short to stay in a job that makes you miserable - trust me from the position of one who knows, it's better by far to make the decision yourself than to wait until such time as for whatever reason your position becomes untenable.

Constant contact with recruitment agencies, checking job boards on a daily basis, there's pretty much nothing coming up that I can even apply for. Things really are bad here just now.

If it wasn't for my financial issues, I'd have taken a risk and quit long before now.

Worry is, that if I quit and had to make do on JSA, not only would I be unable to cover my DPP, I'd also not be able to cover my car payments, mobile phone etc too.

It's definitely all weighing rather heavily on my mind and I really don't know what to do for the best.
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    So, I've been told that I've apparently used up all the full pay over the rolling 12 month period and only qualify for statutory sick pay. I didn't think I was anywhere near close to that.

This is now going to leave me with major financial problems in December as not only can I not make anywhere near the full payment on my DPP, I will also be unable to pay my car loan, insurance, mobile phone etc.

I'm now honestly terrified at what is to come and I think this shock has set me back, almost to square one.

I really don't know what to do for the best.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    DO you think they're right? 20 days sick leave is a fair amount to not think you've used up?

Firstly you need to speak to your DPP ASAP and explain the situation to them - the sooner the better - they may drop each creditor to a £1 payment until you are back on your feet.

Can you do an SOA based on what you will have and what other bills you have going out to get a starting point?

Contact your GP again too about your situation - I know you don't want medication, but it's important to keep him/her up to date on your condition x
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    DO you think they're right? 20 days sick leave is a fair amount to not think you've used up?

Firstly you need to speak to your DPP ASAP and explain the situation to them - the sooner the better - they may drop each creditor to a £1 payment until you are back on your feet.

Can you do an SOA based on what you will have and what other bills you have going out to get a starting point?

Contact your GP again too about your situation - I know you don't want medication, but it's important to keep him/her up to date on your condition x

I don't know if they are right. I thought I'd maybe used up half of it.

I did get this months DPP reduced and I know I can do it again next month, it's more the car finance & mobile bill that worries me.

I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go in on Monday. As long as that doesn't backfire, then I at least know what I'll be paid at the end of this month, as it would be the same as what I got this month, and I'll just reduce my DPP again.

This incident has only served to increase my desire to get out of this role, but there's absolutely nothing out there for me. It really is a horrible, vicious circle that I'm trapped in.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Remember you can't return to work unless the doctor signs you as fit to return if you are on a sick note from them. Your company would have to send you home legally.

Do you have any additional options on income? Could you let out a room, could you move in to a house share instead of living on your own?
    Could you reduce your phone contract now in anticipation? Worth asking them... Cancel it and get a PAYG?

If there is no work where you are is relocating an option?
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    Remember you can't return to work unless the doctor signs you as fit to return if you are on a sick note from them. Your company would have to send you home legally.

Do you have any additional options on income? Could you let out a room, could you move in to a house share instead of living on your own?
    Could you reduce your phone contract now in anticipation? Worth asking them... Cancel it and get a PAYG?

If there is no work where you are is relocating an option?

My doctor said that I can return before it expires if I feel up to it.

No additional options on income. I'm already living for free with relatives, something else which is really preying on my mind.

With my financial situation, relocating is not an option as I literally couldn't afford to pay for accommodation etc without a massive rise in income until I get all my debts sorted.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My doctor said that I can return before it expires if I feel up to it.

No additional options on income. I'm already living for free with relatives, something else which is really preying on my mind.

With my financial situation, relocating is not an option as I literally couldn't afford to pay for accommodation etc without a massive rise in income until I get all my debts sorted.

Does the sick note state this? If not, your company have no choice but to send you home, as Mrs Tinks says. I know it seems ludicrous, but these days, it's true.

If you're really sure you've not had that many days off sick, then you may have to ask them to clarify when you have been off - it could be as simple as someone has input a wrong date of return. Before that though I suggest going back over your diary with a fine toothed comb to try to jog your memory as to any other time you might have been off. One thing - it seems coincidental that you have used precisely 20 days previously at the point at which this sick note kicked in. Now that *could* just be coincidence, or it *could* be that actually, you went over before, but they paid you an odd day at full rate as a goodwill gesture. That is why I suggest trying to get your own facts in line before you ask any more questions of them.

Ring the mobile company and see if you can get that reduced. Have you posted an SOA already or not? I can't remember, apologies.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • AdviceSought
    AdviceSought Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2016 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Does the sick note state this? If not, your company have no choice but to send you home, as Mrs Tinks says. I know it seems ludicrous, but these days, it's true.

No, it doesn't say that.

I've tried to see if I can get a GP appointment before then, but at the moment the only available earlier appointments are with the first two GP's that I saw regarding my issues and I ended up making a complaint to the practice manager about them...

Although this thing here, says people can return at any time...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/464398/fit-note-employers-line_managers-sept-2015.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure