Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Knitting for charity

Does anyone here knit for charity? Can you recommend some good projects to be involved in? :)

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 September 2016 at 2:44PM
    Link to Hope take stuff to eastern europe with their shoebox appeal.
    They like: adult hats, knitted toys and knee blankets (approx 1 x1 metre) to name but a few!
    http://linktohope.co.uk/about-us

These are collected the same way as the shoeboxes and then given out as needed when the lorries arrive at their destinations.
    They particularly target the elderly and the young on the fringes of society so that all donations are very gratefully received
    If you e-mail them, they will tell you what they'd like. This year the deadline is 4th November

'Though a Christian charity :
    Link to Hope’s aim is to combat poverty and give humanitarian aid and has special concern for the most disadvantaged.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • Blether
    Blether Posts: 273 Forumite
    I was looking for the same and found this page on Saga. Not all the links are still current but it might be a starting place for you.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/craft-hobbies/crafting/sew-a-bandana-for-a-rescue-dog-in-need

I did some knitting for St Andrew's Hospice and handed it in to the Uddingston branch and was really quite upset as the member of staff I gave it to didn't even thank me and that was after I explained that it was hand knitting for sale. I know I should have been able to rise above this but I spent a lot of time knitting when I could have been doing other things in my own life.

I still have a lot of wool and would still like to do some good with it so if you come up with anything please post.

Thanks
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    How'd you feel about knitting for premature babies?

They seem to expect you to contact the hospital yourself, but then many have patterns they can send (or weblinks) and a wishlist. I've a friend who knits compulsively after hand surgery as therapy & she's delighted to combine visits for checkups with visits to drop off another box of woolly garments.
    She's even knitted shawls for stillborn babies & their families, which I reckon takes a special kind of love.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hello, I am sure charities would love to sell knitted blankets/clothes.
    However they can not sell knitted toys due to the fact we have no idea what they are stuffed with, its a great shame as they are beautiful and have taken a lot of time to make.
  • clyndu
    clyndu Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Knit for Peace take any knitted or crochet items and they are distributed to charities around the UK and further afield. They have a webpage and are on facebook and twitter. I like them as you can knit whatever pattern takes your fancy.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Knitted toys can go to Link to Hope (see my previous post above)
    They are not allowed to be put in the boxes due to customs restrictions as toys have to have a CE mark. However, they are packed round the shoe boxes and distributed to the children directly- and much loved as you can see from some of their posted photos from previous trips.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Have a look at Loving Hands

http://www.lovinghands.org.uk/

They knit for several charities. You can send items direct or send to them to distribute. They also have local groups around the country so there may be a group local to you if you were interested in meeting other like minded persons.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    or you could do some anonymous knitting for your local community - http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14882876.Why_have_free_woolly_hats_started_appearing_in_Bolton_/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure