PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving out of parents when 35

Hi,
Just looking for some advice as I am 35 and live at my parents. A big reason for this is I loaned a massive amount of money to them many years ago so can live here rent free indefinitely.
When I can save nearly all my wages each month it's difficult to imagine spending half of it on rent/mortgage when I pay nothing now.
Any advice whether I should forget about the money or stay and keep saving for longer?
Thanks

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you're happy living with your parents, and they're happy with you still living there, then it's entirely your choice.
  • Would staying at home and buying a place to rent out be a viable option for you?

That way your money could be working for you whilst you keep your living costs low and you have a property out there if you needed a home for yourself in the future.

Only you can judge if staying at home suits your lifestyle though.
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    If you're happy living with your parents, and they're happy with you still living there, then it's entirely your choice.
    No, the random people on the internet must decide his fate. He has rolled his dice - we must decide.

You're only a year younger than me. I've got my own home, 2 kids and a wife.

Do you ever plan on growing up?
  • If you and your parents are happy with the situation why hurry? Stay as long as you want or circumstances change.

Imo the only reason people usually move out from their parents is for their own freedom, that or their parents chuck them out. :rotfl:

It's great you have such a good relationship with them.
    "Meow meow meow? Meow meow-meow meow!" - Minkybob
  • You can stay with your parents for as long as you like, but if you ever get a girlfriend it might cause problems.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Since you asking on a public forum, you are working, I thnk it's time to move out - once you do you will not want to move back, I wouldn't. I moved out on my own at 25 in my own home on my own and still here today on my own, love it (apart form 100% bills lol), but wouldn't change it.
  • I think the OP is on the wind up :)

Why not buy a flat, given you've been thinking about it? Or move into the one you already own? Or grow up and give your parents peace?
  • Pa_Ja
    Pa_Ja Posts: 134 Forumite
    Some may view your current situation as, "Time to move on/grow-up, Learn life skills and life's troubles", etc... It's up to you to gauge what you want from life. Do you want your own space to invite people round... Freedom to do what you want?
    You're very-very fortunate that you have a relationship with your parents that makes living with them plausible.

Best advice I would give is, Save as much as possible and pay as much as you can into your pension.
    Could you save half your wage and live off the other half? It will help to teach you to budget for eventually living on your own or within a relationship.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    chrishar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just looking for some advice as I am 35 and live at my parents. A big reason for this is I loaned a massive amount of money to them many years ago so can live here rent free indefinitely.
    When I can save nearly all my wages each month it's difficult to imagine spending half of it on rent/mortgage when I pay nothing now.
    Any advice whether I should forget about the money or stay and keep saving for longer?
    Thanks

Hmmm, i've considered the information you've provided and assessed your different options.

The computers still coming back saying you're a complete and utter....Oh blimey, who knew a cat would trigger a Spam filter....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure