Doing it on my own: bobobski's house deposit diary

Comments

• Fantastic news, if you save £1340 you are entitled to a night out. You have to reward yourself for being so good.

Really well done. It's helpful for me too as I am less likely to buy clothes if I know I am accountable to you all. :T
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Hi gang

A bit of a mixed one this week. I'm still in-budget, but have used up a lot of the budget. I spent £100+ in Tesco yesterday as lots of thing like toothpaste and soap were discounted so I thought I'd top up - that leaves me with £175 for the rest of the month. And another night out on Friday cost even more than the weekly shop, leaving me with £30 in that category for the rest of the month - just enough for two takeaways?? Anyway, I'll be good for the rest of the month :A

I'm going on a short holiday at the end of the month with a few friends. The good thing is I have budgeted for it. Our flights cost £30 each (already paid for), and with travel to/from airports at either end we reckon it'll be £70 total travel. We need to book accommodation but it's looking to be about £100 each. And I've budgeted £300, so that should leave me with about £160 for the three days for food, going out stuff etc. Should be do-able :)

Onto the usual bobobski life drama... So I've made a pretty big mistake that has unintentionally hurt someone. The someone isn't really my friend, but is very important to a friend of mine, and that friend has also hurt the someone. Now, I generally do not regret things because I believe you should live and learn and not wish you could go back in time, but this time I actually do regret it. I should have known this person would be upset, and I never wanted that. Anyway, I was beating myself up pretty hard about it yesterday when I discussed it with a good friend of mine (who is usually a harsh judge of other peoples ethics) and she thinks I'm not the one in the wrong here. I have to say I think I agree. It's a really weird position to be in, but although I shouldn't have done something that I knew would upset someone, I still wasn't morally wrong to do so. I have had experiences in the past where I tried and failed to apologise to people who didn't want to hear it, and this time the someone has asked me never to contact them again, so I won't even try to apologise. If my connection with the someone began and ended with them I don't think I'd be too bothered. But there are mutual friends involved and it's now all messy. Hrm. Think I'll discuss it with friends at work this week (also harsh judges of ethics) and see what they think.

Does it make me a really bad person if I think I'm not in the wrong, even though I know my actions upset someone? The even weirder thing is, as I said, the someone and I aren't even friends, so I'm not sure why they put me in the position where I could hurt them - I should have had no effect on their life. Very strange :think:
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 March 2017 at 9:45AM
    To be honest bobobski I would just put it behind you and move on. It doesnt make you a bad person we all make mistakes. It is possible to be sorry for hurting someone even if you are not in the wrong. If any mutual friends mention it then I would say that your intention was not to hurt this someone but you are not able to apologise as they have told you not to contact them again.

I have also made a big dent in my shopping budget already this month and we are only 5 days in :o

Well done on budgeting for the holiday. I hope you have a fab time !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • bobobski
    Thanks SYA, it's a rubbish situation but you're right - if I can't go back and change it and I can't apologise, what else can I do? I am sorry this person was upset due to my actions, but for now I'm going to stay away from the mutual friends to give this person some distance - it's all I can do really.

The first weekend of the month really should be called "stock up weekend" or something - I think we're so used to being frugal at the end of the month that we think at the beginning of the month we have to stock up for winter :rotfl: It's fine though, spending doesn't need to be linear :)

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to the holiday :)
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    People - it's all so complicated. I agree with Skint Yet Again, you can't apologise as they wont listen so avoid them. It is hard but to protect your sanity try to let it go. There are just some people that you can't always get along with ya know? If we got on with everybody we would have too many people at our birthday parties which means less cake so I reckon this happens so we don't starve. This is savingwannabe logic:rotfl::rotfl: as you can see there are some situations that are just inevitable regardless of what you do.

Well done you can still do a takeaway. And holiday, OMG that sounds great and something to look forward to. Hurrah. It is chucking it down with rain here I hope you escape to somewhere nice. It's good to have a treat.:j:beer:
  • bobobski
    Thanks SW - I've just cleaned my entire living room top to bottom and literally cleared away the cobwebs. I am pooped! But while I was cleaning I was thinking about what you said; although you know nothing of the situation, you absolutely hit the nail on the head when you called it "inevitable". You can never predict when these things will happen, but sometimes it's clear for years before that the thing will happen at some point. This is one of those situations, and I don't think that's my fault. The "someone" never liked me and always treated me differently, which is what I mean about putting me in a situation where I could hurt them. So although I've not always behaved as well as I would like, I think the whole thing starts with them never liking me in the first place, and I have no idea why that is, meaning that anyone else could have done the same thing as me and it wouldn't have hurt them (indeed, that has happened many times), but because it was me it was inherently hurtful. But yes absolutely agree - surround yourself only with people you're willing to share cake with, and all will be well :o

I have a friend coming over in a little bit and really need to eat and shower before he turns up. This cleaning malarky is hard work! Very glad I've made a dent though, although I really wanted to get the kitchen done today too... Way too tired now though!
  • savingwannabe
    I fell asleep as I was so tired I am so glad you did cleaning. It is therapeutic but awful when you do too much. I know i am exhausted. Have fun with your friend and I hope you can relax an have fun you deserve it.
  • bobobski
    Hello all

Just a quick mid-week post to say I'm ill again :( This one has really knocked me for six - I'm so congested I can barely breathe! I'm listening to my body though, taking time off work and eating/drinking whatever my body craves. Last night that meant McDonald's (£5.37) and today a round of healthy stuff at Sainsbury's like chicken soup and orange juice (total £13.25 including Lemsip). If I go over-budget for the month due to looking after myself, I think I'll be able to forgive myself :)

Hope everyone's feeling better than me! I'm off to lie back down on the sofa - sitting up is haaaard x
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly .... get well now !!

Don't they say you should feed a cold .... I think you can be forgiven for eating what you fancy when you're ill, and chicken soup and orange juice have medicinal qualities ... not so sure about the McD's but bet it made you feel better ;)
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    I hope you are rested. Take it easy. There are so many bugs around I'm not surprised you picked one up with your condition. It's ok to eat mcd's as you craved it and it made you happy. Get well soon. swx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport