Marks & Spencer created a financial association on a non-joint application

Hi

My girlfriend applied for an M&S Money Credit card in 2014. She got rejected.

Two years on I have discovered M&S linked us financially from this application.

M&S replied:
"When a customer applies for a product such as a credit card with ourselves, we ask if they wish to include their partner’s details in the application. This can assist us in our decision making process. This is not a joint application but does create an association on both of their credit files."

I am furious. How can they do this? How can an application which isn't joint create a permanent association?

Is this one for the ombudsman?

Thanks

Comments

• GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    darkh0rse wrote: »
    Hi

My girlfriend applied for an M&S Money Credit card in 2014. She got rejected.

Two years on I have discovered M&S linked us financially from this application.

M&S replied:
    "When a customer applies for a product such as a credit card with ourselves, we ask if they wish to include their partner’s details in the application. This can assist us in our decision making process. This is not a joint application but does create an association on both of their credit files."

I am furious. How can they do this? How can an application which isn't joint create a permanent association?

Is this one for the ombudsman?

Thanks

Yes, the ombudsman, the ICO and your MP. It is CRA malpractice at its worst. I read somewhere - I think on Experian's website - that credit card applications do not result in financial associations. They explained this by saying that only joint accounts do so. However, the CRAs don't give a monkeys and if some merchant tells them there's a financial association they don't check the circumstances and go ahead and create it, and then publish the details. Quite deplorable. I urge you to take the strongest possible remedial action against the CRAs that are publishing these lies about you.
  • darkh0rse
    darkh0rse Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, I will do so.

Isn't the finger of blame more on M&S though as opposed to the agencies? M&S created the association (without any permission or paperwork from me) and the CRA didn't check.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Thanks, I will do so.

Isn't the finger of blame more on M&S though as opposed to the agencies? M&S created the association (without any permission or paperwork from me) and the CRA didn't check.

I would say 40% M&S at fault, 60% the CRAs at fault.

The CRAs have set themselves up as the "guardians" of our financial data, yet they don't even QA it when it's submitted to them. This really is a simple check for them: joint accounts can't be established on credit card accounts, so don't let merchants file an association for such an account. It pretty simple stuff, but apparently the CRAs can't understand it.
  • darkh0rse
    Thanks. I have replied to M&S and Experian regarding their failures, notifying them I will be making a further complaint, and will make contact with the Ombudsman and ICO when I have more time in the week.

Cheers
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It seems wrong that anyone can apply for credit and add the details of a third party without that person authorising those details being used.
  • ukamber1
    ukamber1 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Thanks. I have replied to M&S and Experian regarding their failures, notifying them I will be making a further complaint, and will make contact with the Ombudsman and ICO when I have more time in the week.

Cheers

Worth checking Equifax and callcredit as well, as a good chance they are also showing the same link. If you complete a "financial disassociation" form, with each agency that will also remove the link, if M&S are not very helpful....
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When a customer applies for a product such as a credit card with ourselves, we ask if they wish to include their partner’s details in the application

Was this the case? i.e. you could have a card on the account.
  • darkh0rse
    Yes my gf must have entered my details.

It was an unsuccessful application, but, It was not a joint application either and I wasn't due to be an additional cardholder.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes my gf must have entered my details.
    So there's your reason for getting the association removed by M&S then. You make a formal complaint citing this.

Obviously your girlfriend may then get a CIFAS marker for 'application fraud', because in making the application she confirmed she had your permission to enter your details and create the association...when she didn't!
  • darkh0rse
    Well this is where it gets interesting. At no point were we aware it would impact on credit rating, never mind becoming a financial association. M&S said themselves "This is not a joint application".

She has never done this before or since so I have no reason to doubt she was misled by M&S.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure