Add your feedback on Mobile Recycler Mobile Phone Xchange

Comments

• I contacted them on a friday, got back on monday, sent it back monday via special, got a txt tueday and got money on Friday, they were pretty good to me so i find it hard to believe they are a rip off compnay!

I was lucky then I guess!
    'Sometimes you just need to keep your mouth shut'
    :j
  • on the website does anyone know if "confirmed" means they have the phones, I havent had a text as I was daft enough to use my outgoing number
  • ehyouwhat
    ehyouwhat Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2009 at 3:32PM
    Hi all,

I am a new member to the site, having joined specifically to post about mobilephonexchange.com.

I had a used iPhone 3G 8GB that I no longer used or needed, so decided to send it away to a recycling company. A quick look on a phone recycling comparison site showed that mobilephonexchange offered the highest amount for my handset (£175), so I signed up with them last Wednesday, electing to receive my payment via BACS transfer. I received a letter and jiffy bag on the Friday.

The handset itself was fully charged, cleaned, wrapped in tissue and then placed in the jiffy bag - incidentally the phone itself was in excellent condition with no marks on the screen whatsoever, and only very minimal scratching to the back casing. It was posted on Monday via Special Delivery, at a cost to me of £5.40, and tracking showed that it was delivered before 1pm on Tuesday.

The MPX website allows you to track your order status online. I've checked this several times a day, and yesterday (Thursday) morning the status changed from 'Confirmed' to 'Received'...but nothing else has happened.

Now according to the terms that mobilephonexchange set, payment would be made within 72 hours of receipt of the handset. That time came - and went -at 1pm this afternoon, with no communication from MPX at all. I tried emailing them yesterday and got no reply, so today at 1pm I decided to give them a call.

The phone was answered within five minutes by a man called "Mark", who told me my handset had been tested yesterday (Thursday) and needed to be "resynced". I asked why there was a delay, stating their own term that the payment would be made within 72 hours of receipt, and he told me that there were sometimes problems and that I should wait to hear back from them. I asked to speak to someone who could help more, he placed me on hold, and he returned a few minutes later to say that he would email the workshop and ask them to resync the handset today as a matter of urgency. I said that once the testing was completed I would be contacted via text or email and advised of "the correct value"...this is already ringing alarm bells in my head, as I know the phone was in excellent fully-working condition when sent away.

I shall keep you all informed on how things go but, suffice to say, I am already less than impressed at the time this is taking (despite their own terms and conditions) and the lack of communication.

Edited to add: I've just checked the MPX website again and, just over an hour after my phone call to them, my order status has been changed to 'Accepted'. One would hope that this is a good sign.

I should also point out that the comparison website I used to get prices for the handset, on which I based my decision to use MPX, no longer lists them amongst the choices. Odd.
  • Only when the status changes to "accepted" can you be sure that they've received the phone(s).

They were fine for me not too long ago (as explained ^) but I'm going to have to check out any negative comments before using them again.
  • Sent them two phones both in what I thought was perfect condition. They tested them and deducted £7 from one phone as they said it had a broken battery cover! Not being able to prove this one way or another had to accept their verdict. Probably about 2 weeks from sending until cash was in bank account so guess that was OK.
  • I chose to use mobilephone xchange through the valuer.
    I got a price for my phone (brand new in box - unwanted upgrade) and got sent a jiffy bag for it.
    I sent it special delivery, cost to myself, and elected for a cheque to be sent to me.
    I heard nothing for 3 days, so sent them an email. They said they had not received my phone.
    I emailed back saying it ha been sent special delivery, and magically it appeared.
    I then received an email saying that the box had been damaged in transit, and they would not be giving me the 'new' price, but now it was only worth the 'used' price..
    As I had no way to prove this, and not wanting to pay again to get the phone back, I had no choice but to accept this.

I have another upgrade due soon, but definitely wont be using mobilephone xchange again...
  • I posted my old Nokia to them two weeks ago, they quoted me £33. There was nothing wrong with it apart from minor cosmetic damage to the case, the screen was fine and I had used the phone until the day before I posted it off.

Today I received a later with a cheque for £7 attached stating it was a revised offer due to "water damage"! The phone has never been near water!

I feel completely ripped off, am going to give them a call when I have more time but I'm worried they'll try and fob me off because it's my word against theirs. And it's not worth me paying £10 to get the phone back when it was only worth £33 in the first place...

Any advice??
  • Unfortunately i used the same company and had a similar problem, i.e sending off phone and being given a whole lot of BS about damage on the phone that doesn't actually exist. You should ask that the phone be re-evaluated (Magically with my phone a re-evaluation made the screen miraculously begin 'working' again - not that it was ever broken) un happy with the revised quote i demanded evidence of what they described and eventually (best part of a month and many emails) i did get the full value of the phone. Be persistent, if you know the phone is not damaged then keep pressuring them, they'll cave in eventually.
  • Thank you, I am in no rush for the money but I just want what I was originally quoted under their agreement that the phone is in working order - which it is.

I have also replied to you in more detail in the other topic!
  • rut456
    rut456 Posts: 24 Forumite
    I am very very disappointed with think company and wish I had read some of the above feedback before sending them my old phone. They had quoted £2 for an LG viewty phone which was in very good condition. I sent them the phone and got an email from them after a few days saying that the screen was severely scratched and needed replaced, which I do not believe at all, the screen was in great condition, and that they could only offer me £5. I emailed back to say I was not at all happy with this and could they please send me the phone back. They emailed saying they could increase the offer to £12 (so why could they not have offered £12 in the first place) and that if I still was not happy I had to pay £10 to have the phone sent back. In fairness this is in the small print in T&Cs so my fault for not reading it but I am so disappointed because the phone is in great condition.
    WOULD ADVISE STAYING WELL AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! And would also advise MSE to remove it from their list as there seem to be quite a number of people who have had problems.
    I sent 2 other phones to love2recycle as they had offered the best quotes and have so far had no problem with them and they are paying out the amounts expected (though I am waiting for the money)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure