is orange broadband any good?

hi

i use orange for my mobile phone and they have offered me a very competitive package for my home phone line rental,anytime calls and broadband. i have heard bad reviews about orange broadband and when i mentioned this to the sales guy he said yes orange bb used to be bad but they have now bought in conjunction with BT their own exchanges so they can bypass the switch or something which makes their bb much better....the contract is a 18 month one so i dont want to get tied into a contract which turns out to be no good as i need internet on a daily basis...anyone recently switch to orange?? had any problems?

thanks

Comments

• Their description of their move with BT is a rather flattering one.

Orange had invested in their own ADSL2+ based LLU kit an unbundled exchanges. This would outperform a BT "20CN" connection at the same exchange over the same line.

Now they've basically given up and sold all the kit back to BT, so Orange customers are being absorbed back onto the BT platform. Which in exchanges which are not 21WBC means the user will potentially go back to a slower BT based service.

So it's important to establish what they are offering you - what service, what speeds as you may have a choice of other unbundled providers.
  • hi, i only discussed this over the phone yesterday and gave the go ahead but after reading reviews on here im thinking of backing out, am i able to do this? do you get a cooling off period over the phone?
  • davmail
    davmail Posts: 371 Forumite
    hi

i use orange for my mobile phone and they have offered me a very competitive package for my home phone line rental,anytime calls and broadband. i have heard bad reviews about orange broadband and when i mentioned this to the sales guy he said yes orange bb used to be bad but they have now bought in conjunction with BT their own exchanges so they can bypass the switch or something which makes their bb much better....the contract is a 18 month one so i dont want to get tied into a contract which turns out to be no good as i need internet on a daily basis...anyone recently switch to orange?? had any problems?

thanks

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!.......PLEASE.

Their broadband is awful,customer care is India.......need I say more?

See my posts,I regret ever going to Orange,do not make the same mistake as me.
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • There's quite a debate regarding the changeover to BT based services in this forum:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve.html

With regard to cancelling, I don't believe the cooling off period applies when you instigated the call though I could well be wrong on that. Regardless, if you did want to cancel - and despite all of this, Orange won't necessarily be poor (depending on what equipment it's served out by) - I'd try for an email acknowledgement if I were you ;)
  • thanks all, after reading reviews and listening you you guys ive decided to cancel (orange do have 7 day cooling off period) and stay with talk talk who have given me £5 off per month if i sign up for 12 months so all is good ...thanks again :)
  • davmail
    thanks all, after reading reviews and listening you you guys ive decided to cancel (orange do have 7 day cooling off period) and stay with talk talk who have given me £5 off per month if i sign up for 12 months so all is good ...thanks again :)

Well done,the best decision you will ever make.:money:
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    davmail wrote: »
    Well done,the best decision you will ever make.:money:

Well, it would be if the OP wasn't staying with the next worst ISP in the UK...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • davmail
    I had a phone call this morning from high level complaints at Orange,spoke to an English guy from Orange who is an engineer apparently.I explained that my UPLOAD is FASTER than my download speed,and my download speed is no faster than 77kb's,so something obviously is wrong,they agreed,so,let's see if they can actually do anything to improve it,will keep this topic updated.:eek:
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
  • Fairzo
    Fairzo Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Since I had an email from Orange some months ago to say that their Broadband was being improved....it's got worse. Slower, losing connection quite consistently. I've had enough and will be moving elsewhere once I have the time to wait hours on the phone to get the MAC code.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure