Free laptops / internet for those on benefits

Comments

• geoff11
    geoff11 Posts: 468 Forumite
    correct it states families on low incomes which doesnt always mean they are not working.
  • Well, thats just great. I'm waiting for months to sort out money that i'm entitled to, but at least when i cant pay the bills or buy food i'll be able to get online *sighs*
  • Evie82
    Evie82 Posts: 340 Forumite
    It says
    • Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and an income of less than £16,040

So how does that work? Someone above said they were working and got the grant....
    I earn less than £16k a year BUT i do get WFTC ........... so am i able to get it or not????
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Evie82 wrote: »
    It says
    • Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and an income of less than £16,040

So how does that work? Someone above said they were working and got the grant....
    I earn less than £16k a year BUT i do get WFTC ........... so am i able to get it or not????
    £16k a year does that include your working tax or is your working tax on top off that?
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • It would make more sense to offer this deal for people working low paid jobs or starting up a new business etc.

Definately tryng to get peoples votes!

Surely this money would be better spent elsewhere?
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • geoff11
    geoff11 Posts: 468 Forumite
    i think hes going to need more than free laptop giveaways to help him somehow but thats whys hes doing it its election time.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We meant to ask if our son is entitled to free school meals but we havnt, we claim child tax credits with a bit extra for my HRCC and we automatically get full medical costs due to low income, is this the same criteria as free school meals?
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'll probably get lambasted for this but hey ho - I do agree these should be for low income 'working' families. If someone is not working, there is always computers available at the job centre when they go to sign on, at the library etc. I see the main reason for them is so that parents can keep in touch with what their kids are doing at school - maybe some parents should try looking in the student planner - correspondence daily from staff when necessary, see what homework is due, if it's completed etc. They are already provided free to every high school student in the country. The supposed reason for providing them isn't valid. Lambaste away...
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think the idea is so that the children of low income or no income families have the same access to studies as those in higher earning families. An awful lot of homework now is based on the assumption that there is a pc available within the home to do research and submit.

Not all those on benefits will be going to the job centre to sign on....and these computers are not designed for the parents but the children.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Free laptops/internet for those on benefits???

This is going to make the workshy even worse!

Let them buy their own when they have worked hard enough to afford one!

oh please read the thread before posting rubbish....
    since when were children under 14 workers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure