Giving way on a hill

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't think it is often taught anymore because I wasn't taught it by an instructor and neither was anyone else I have talked to it about.

I have been coming uphill on narrow lanes with my caravan on the back and even then some people won't give way. But the worst thing is people who can't reverse without going into the hedge every 5 meters. They really shouldn't be on the road if the can't reverse down a lane. If I can reverse with my caravan on the back it really shouldn't be too much to expect a car to reverse.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    takman wrote: »
    I don't think it is often taught anymore because I wasn't taught it by an instructor and neither was anyone else I have talked to it about.
    I wasn't taught it by an instructor because I learnt to drive in a city where there are very few hills (in fact the hill start was practised on a railway bridge). I learnt it from my father and backed up by reading.

It may be less of an issue with modern cars than in the 60s or 70s - my Focus has hill start assist - but the principle is still there.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I wasn't taught it by an instructor because I learnt to drive in a city where there are very few hills (in fact the hill start was practised on a railway bridge)

I don't recall practising a hill start at all when learning to drive ... but then I did learn in King's Lynn - a town that only had one box junction at the time (and that for only half the road), and no handy railway bridge.

Likewise dual carriageways, let alone motorways, were exotic creations that were never taught - there was a couple of miles of dual carriageway to the south of town in 1988 but that was it for best part of 40 miles.

What it did have, though, on the main road into town from my village, was one of those three lane roads with the shared central overtaking lane - you learn a lot about your car width and what a 100+ mph closing speed looks like when someone coming the opposite way starts to overtake when you're already doing the same ...
  • NBLondon wrote: »
    I wasn't taught it by an instructor because I learnt to drive in a city where there are very few hills (in fact the hill start was practised on a railway bridge). I learnt it from my father and backed up by reading.

It may be less of an issue with modern cars than in the 60s or 70s - my Focus has hill start assist - but the principle is still there.

I had my first driving lesson 15 months ago, and I was taught o give way to vehicles approaching uphill. (Hilly city, lots of single-carriageway roads due to cars parked both sides.)

This, plus several other things makes me wonder whether he just taught everyone to an advanced level: lots of my more experienced friends will turn their wheels while waiting to turn right; I was taught to keep them straight in case of a rear-end shunt. Lots of my friends rely solely on the handbrake when parking; I was taught to use the gearbox too. Lots of my friends don't observe tyres and tarmac, don't turn their wheels in or out when parking on a hill. Lots of them are oblivious to the signals of the white lines in the middle of the road as to what is ahead. Have they forgotten, or were they never taught?
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • I had my first driving lesson 15 months ago, and I was taught o give way to vehicles approaching uphill. (Hilly city, lots of single-carriageway roads due to cars parked both sides.)

This, plus several other things makes me wonder whether he just taught everyone to an advanced level: lots of my more experienced friends will turn their wheels while waiting to turn right; I was taught to keep them straight in case of a rear-end shunt. Lots of my friends rely solely on the handbrake when parking; I was taught to use the gearbox too. Lots of my friends don't observe tyres and tarmac, don't turn their wheels in or out when parking on a hill. Lots of them are oblivious to the signals of the white lines in the middle of the road as to what is ahead. Have they forgotten, or were they never taught?

Sounds like you had someone who cares about the drivers they are teaching, rather than just teaching them enough to pass a test :)

Hope you recommend him to as many people as possible
    My instructors had a similar approach (2 of them ) both ladies who could drive :eek::rotfl:
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    lots of my more experienced friends will turn their wheels while waiting to turn right; I was taught to keep them straight in case of a rear-end shunt.
    Ah, yes, that's another one that no-one seems to teach any more. That one could save your life.
    treboeth wrote: »
    My instructors had a similar approach (2 of them ) both ladies who could drive :eek::rotfl:
    The person who taught me back in 1971 was female, too. I had a lot of ribbing from my mates, but she was an excellent teacher. And, when she took over the car, she was pretty quick, too.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • treboeth wrote: »
    Sounds like you had someone who cares about the drivers they are teaching, rather than just teaching them enough to pass a test :)

Hope you recommend him to as many people as possible

He was very keen on "teaching safe driving for life" and has ROSPA Gold and has already taught three people I know since me. He'll teach my children too, I hope.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'll back up most on here. People coming up have right of way.

One of the lads in our office has just passed his test and I was disappointed to see that his instructor did not teach him manners, rather he was taught 'how to pass the test'.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JP08 wrote: »
    What it did have, though, on the main road into town from my village, was one of those three lane roads with the shared central overtaking lane -.

That was known as the suicide lane.

You don't see many (any?) about these days.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    That was known as the suicide lane.
    You don't see many (any?) about these days.

The one concerned has been re-marked as a two lane road, with wide lanes and wide shoulders - just means that people now overtake down the middle, hoping the oncoming traffic pulls over onto the shoulder a bit ... this is Norfolk after all (and that's from someone who's proud to be Norfolk 'n Good !)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure