Refund of delivery costs?

Options
Hi! I bought some items from Land's End in July for approx £200, and also paid a £3.95 delivery charge.

In the end I decided to return the entire order which I did a couple of weeks ago. Land's End has a very generous returns policy with no returns deadline so it didn't matter that it was over 2 months since the original order.

I received the refund a couple of days ago and, to my surprise, the £3.95 delivery cost was not refunded. It was my understanding that if you return the entire order the seller is obliged to refund this under the consumer contracts regulations (previously, distance selling regulations).

Is this right? Or does this only cover returns made in the first 28 days (during which the seller is obliged to accept them, subject to a few technicalities)?

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not disputing the cost I bore in actually returning the items to Land's End (£2.70 courier cost which I was happy to pay).

Comments

• usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    A rare case of a company with a generous, unlimited return period and you are whinging about £3.95?

It won't be long before this company tightens the return policy up with customers like you.

Then you would have been stuck with £200 worth of items you took 3 months to decide you didn't want.
  • Emily1975
    Emily1975 Posts: 75 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:02AM
    Options
    Thanks - couple of clarifications. I wasn't intending to whinge (let me know which bit sounds like whinging so I can edit it), very happy with Land's End service, just wanting to check my understanding of the law. As I said I had no beef with paying to return the items.

It didn't take 3 months to decide on the items I didn't want - decision was made within the first month.

I think Land's End would also want to know if they're refund processing was non-compliant! And I'm sure it won't be, hence me coming on here to understand where my understanding is flawed.
  • usefulmale
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:16AM
    Options
    Emily1975 wrote: »
    Hi! I bought some items from Land's End in July for approx £200, and also paid a £3.95 delivery charge.

In the end I decided to return the entire order which I did a couple of weeks ago. Land's End has a very generous returns policy with no returns deadline so it didn't matter that it was over 2 months since the original order.
    It didn't take 3 months to decide on the items I didn't want - decision was made within the first month.

I think Land's End would also want to know if they're refund processing was non-compliant! And I'm sure it won't be, hence me coming on here to understand where my understanding is flawed.

You are contradicting yourself already. Why didn't you return the items as soon as you had decided you didn't want them?

Just accept that you have tied up £200 worth of stock until you bothered to get round to actually returning them and that has cost you £3.95.

Most other places would have told you that a return is not possible.
    I wasn't intending to whinge (let me know which bit sounds like whinging so I can edit it)

Your whole post is whingey. Please delete it, move on in your life and have a pleasant Sunday
  • Emily1975
    Options
    I can't see why that's relevant to the question, but to put your mind at rest...

Timeline:
    Order made - 24 July
    Items arrived - 27 July
    Decision made as to what to return - 23 August (recall the date as it was immediately prior to going on holiday on 24 August)
    Return sent - 7 October

Reason for delay in returning, being regularly overseas (holiday and for work), and no imperative to return given returns policy.

Trying to interpret your middle paragraph - are you saying it's the 28 days that's the key issue here?
  • Emily1975
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    Your whole post is whingey. Please delete it, move on in your life and have a pleasant Sunday

Whinging is complaining persistently. I cannot see anywhere in my posts where I have complained at all, let alone persistently.

I've said I'm happy with their service, that they've done something which has surprised me and want to understand why. You must have a different definition of whinging to me.

If I delete that post, the thread will make no sense, so that's not a very intelligent or constructive suggestion.

I'm beginning to think you do not know the answer, or else you would not be dragging it out so long. Unless you are being a bit of a tease? :D
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.landsend.co.uk/Returns/co/mobile-cs-returns.html

Reading the terms they state that if the return is after 14 days postage is not refunded, it is after the heading consumer contract 2013 bit �� Whether that is correct is anybody's guess
  • Emily1975
    Options
    Thanks anmarj - I've been looking on their website but missed that somehow. Mystery solved :)
  • usefulmale
    Options
    I can't see why that's relevant to the question, but to put your mind at rest...

Timeline:
    Order made - 24 July
    Items arrived - 27 July
    Decision made as to what to return - 23 August (recall the date as it was immediately prior to going on holiday on 24 August)
    Return sent - 7 October

Reason for delay in returning, being regularly overseas (holiday and for work), and no imperative to return given returns policy.

Trying to interpret your middle paragraph - are you saying it's the 28 days that's the key issue here?

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm not going to help you claim back a miserable £3.95.

You seem to be very selfish. You waited almost a month to decide you didn't want the items, deciding the day before you swan off on holiday for a month or so.

By your own admission, the retailer has shown exemplary customer service and has an open-ended returns policy. You never know. You might want to buy from these people again. Just accept you are a poxy £3.95 down and move on.

For all we know, them items are seasonal and the retailer is now left with stock they cannot sell just because you have been precious and dithered with returning them for almost three months.
  • usefulmale
    Options
    If I delete that post, the thread will make no sense, so that's not a very intelligent or constructive suggestion.

I'm beginning to think you do not know the answer, or else you would not be dragging it out so long. Unless you are being a bit of a tease? :D

I should have said delete the thread.

I have 2 online businesses of many years standing. I know the answer.
  • Emily1975
    Emily1975 Posts: 75 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 9:25AM
    Options
    It's you who is contradicting yourself now. You say you don't want to help me but yet you are posting me advice on this forum. Or are you saying you are a troll??!

All I wanted to know was why this transaction didn't qualify for a postage refund. If you read very carefully you'll see I never said I was annoyed about the £3.95 (just surprised), nor did I say I necessarily cared about getting it back. I did say I just wanted to understand the rules better because the evidence suggested my current understanding was flawed.

In what way is this selfish? It's just intellectual curiosity. The whole ethos of this website is to help people better understand consumer rights.

But I've got the impression from your posts you don't like answering direct questions, you just reply with generalisations...
    usefulmale wrote: »
    For all we know, them items are seasonal...

I have to say that just about sums up your approach. Guess what the circumstances are, formulate judgement and answer based on that. I hope you never get called up for jury service!

Just seen your latest post - it's pretty clear to everyone you didn't know the answer (or rather the answer you thought you knew was incorrect). Otherwise instead of jumping to conclusions and saying you wouldn't help me get the money back you would have said I have no right to it.

But don't worry, I am not judgemental.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport