Any positive stories changing from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    For your information, and as mentioned earlier, the guy at the Jobcentre entered in the box on the PIP2 that I wanted to go to an assessment centre - without even suggesting that I had another option (home visit).

Home visits are intended for those who are unable to leave home. As you were seen at the JC that obviously didn't apply to you, therefore the assessment centre was the obvious decision. A home visit can't be opted for as a lifestyle choice.
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Home visits are intended for those who are unable to leave home. As you were seen at the JC that obviously didn't apply to you, therefore the assessment centre was the obvious decision. A home visit can't be opted for as a lifestyle choice.
    Right, so I was right then. You only get a home visit if your GP believes that you cannot leave your home for any reason(mental/physical difficulties).
    Then I wonder how people manage to get help to fill in the forms - presumably the CAB or other agency also makes home visits?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Right, so I was right then. You only get a home visit if your GP believes that you cannot leave your home for any reason(mental/physical difficulties).
    Then I wonder how people manage to get help to fill in the forms - presumably the CAB or other agency also makes home visits?

We can do sometimes. We have links to other organisations who help and they can visit at home, too

It's going to depend on the area and resources available. We are heavily volunteer dependent and recruiting and retaining them can be hard
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    I could understand the descriptors but not how you are supposed to work them into fitting your difficulties. Just couldn't get me head round the safety, reliable etc bit. It all seemed a bit contrived to me. I just couldn't see how the DWP could believe me if I said I could do a thing, then in the next breath say that it is difficult to do it and then expect to be told that I couldn't do it.
    Could I walk 20 metres - yes
    Could I do it without stopping - no
    Answer - no I can't walk 20 metres!!!
    Seems a ridiculous way to explain things.
    But hey ho, no worries I have got over the rejection - others worse than me also fail.

If you can't stand and then move more than 20 meters, either aided or unaided, you would be entitled to 12 points for the mobility section (with some caveats in terms of timings / reliability) i.e. an enhanced award.

I suspect there's more to it? E.g. you can still walk the distance, but need to stop, but it takes you no longer than twice an abled person, or the condition fluctuates...
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 4:53PM
    _CC_ wrote: »
    If you can't stand and then move more than 20 meters, either aided or unaided, you would be entitled to 12 points for the mobility section (with some caveats in terms of timings / reliability) i.e. an enhanced award.

I suspect there's more to it? E.g. you can still walk the distance, but need to stop, but it takes you no longer than twice an abled person, or the condition fluctuates...

Actually I can walk the 20 metres but from the start I am in pain due to the damage to my lower spine. I have to stop at least once probably twice if going uphill so that the pain subsides then start off again. As for how long it takes I have no idea. And when measuring 20 metres that is the side of our home plus the front porch. (my daughter measured it for me). If doesn't fluctuate - I'm in agony in bed or out, hence why I have to have sedatives at night so as to get some sleep.
    But getting back to the descriptor - "of course I can walk 20 metres, if I couldn't I would be in a wheelchair obviously doh!" which is how I explained it to the Jobcentre guy!
  • Barney, yes he has a CPN, I've given her details. Plus his psychiatrist. Hopefully he'll not need an assessment, but if they decide he does, he has dissociative seizures and involuntary jerking when he's very stressed so going for an assessment would mean they get to see exactly how bad his anxiety is. He would almost definitely have one during the assessment.
  • Tobermory
    Tobermory Posts: 49 Forumite
    There is a section on the PIP form (page 36 of 40) requesting you "Tell us about any help you would need if you have to go for a face-to-face consultation". We put "Disabled parking, access and toilet for wheelchair user", and hey presto we were given a home visit without asking/any Doctor intervention.
  • Gypsywoman
    Gypsywoman Posts: 25 Forumite
    I was on DLA HR care and mobility, for physical and mental disabilities. I just got my award letter today for Enhanced care and mobility for 3 years. I cannot see much changing except for the worse and I am 64 just 6 months after the 3 years. So thought perhaps they like to check before you are 64.

The assessment went well and the assessor was good and there was no trick questions. You do only hear about the 'bad cases' or the 'not successful cases'. Just be truthful and you should get the award to which you are entitled.

I was not allowed a 'home visit'. although they offered to pay for a taxi, that was not appropriate. My CPN rang then to ask why and it was because I had several sections, a good few years ago now, and also I had stated 'I did not like people coming to my home' - that should have been expanded on, for it meant 'unexpectedly' and was to do with my incontinence pads and if there was any clothing in the bathroom sink.

I have only ever been a danger to myself, but they would not have known that. So my CPN insisted that they make an appointment at the centre so that she was available to bring me in her car and stay with me. My CPN, carer and many others come to my home alone, but I realise ATOS is bound by health and safety. So it all worked out, in the end and like I say the assessor just asked me about my form and what I had answered and I replied and expanded if needed.

My CPN spoke also around the support that is available to me and she prompted me when I forgot things. It was always planned she would be there. So if your husband does have a CPN, their input can be invaluable.

It was only around 40 minutes and the assessor stopped it because he could see I was in pain and I really was in bad pain. I did not know it had shown though, but he saw it and said he had all he needed.

I hope your husband is awarded what he is entitled to.
  • Tobermory wrote: »
    There is a section on the PIP form (page 36 of 40) requesting you "Tell us about any help you would need if you have to go for a face-to-face consultation". We put "Disabled parking, access and toilet for wheelchair user", and hey presto we were given a home visit without asking/any Doctor intervention.
    Yes that is the section. Daft idiot that filled the form out for me put down that I wanted to go to any assessment centre.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    but you only read the first 5 pages ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills