PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mail Redirection

Options
Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, will delete if necessary.

We've recently moved back in with my parents until our (delayed) newbuild flat is ready - which is apparently 6 - 8 weeks from when the work starts, start date still to be determined! I've paid for 6 months mail redirection to my mum's address which should avoid me having to change most things and then change them again but I'm just wondering if there's anything that I really should change, DVLA springs to mind?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Criminal offence not to tell DVLA, I think. Most things aren't too much hassle, so I would just do it rather than worry (redirection isn't foolproof).
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Criminal offence not to tell DVLA, I think. Most things aren't too much hassle, so I would just do it rather than worry (redirection isn't foolproof).

You're probably right, it's just the thought of doing it now and then again in 3 months time (optimistic!). I suppose if I write all the letters now I can just re-jig them without too much hassle.
  • Thanetia
    Thanetia Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't Royal Mail/Post Office introduce a policy where any mail from a government department was returned to sender and not redirected?

If you get any benefits you should also notify the relevant department(s) as well, and also tell the council you have moved out and get a final council tax bill, as well as cancel any utilities - gas, electric, landline, broadband, water - and get final bills from them as well. Anything else it's safe to redirect.

Edit - you don't need to give the utilities your new address, just tell them all your mail is being redirected and you are off on holiday for the next 3 months and will find somewhere to live when you return.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Didn't Royal Mail/Post Office introduce a policy where any mail from a government department was returned to sender and not redirected?

Kind of. It appears it is a law rather than a RM policy. From RM redirection terms:
    There are laws that prevent us from redirecting certain items. There are also laws that require us to return certain items to the sender and we may need to inform the authorities of this (for example, mail from government departments related to benefits).
    And
    We are required by law to inform certain authorities when a Redirection is in place, including the Department for Work and
    Pensions, other government departments and local authorities.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanetia wrote: »

Let's not forget the vehicle logbook ;)
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Options
    The return to sender one is generally for benefit claims especially housing benefit (LHA)- for obvious reasons. The envelopes have it written all over them usually.
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

No benefits and I've already informed council tax, utilities etc and given them a forwarding address - I was more thinking for things I rarely get mail from like professional bodies/mobile phone companies?

Considering the ones that I will have to change (bank etc) I think I'd probably be as well just doing all of them.

As an aside, I tried the DVLA change address online and it was flipping useless! Asked for loads of info, got to the end and it said there was an error and to try again later or send a paper form. I'll give it another bash but I can always pick up a form in the post office if need be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure