Cheap HPI Check for Cars

Comments

• If anyone is having problems choosing which car check is good, or what each of them offer - go to

www.carcheckdirect.co.uk

This is the best website that i found, when i was having difficulty with all the different car checking companies ou there - such as : mycarcheck, hpi check ,auto check, vehicle check (autotrader)...

these guys give you free sample reports from each car checking company - so you can see what you get for your money

also they tell you which the best one, rate it, and compare them in a matrix.

worth a look - and all this is FREE
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Having been involved with uniting hundreds of stolen vehicles with their owners or insurance comapnies I strongly suggest that if you are a private buyer spending close to 10k you get a proper HPI check done and follow their rules. Whilst it costs a little more it includes 10k worth of insurance against buying a clone or ringer (ringers don't really exist anymore).

There are thousands of stolen blank tax discs, mot's and even V5 reg documents on the black market. Visible VIN's, sticky B pillar VIN labels, stamped SIN's and all other vehicle id marks are available if you know where to go.

Vehicles from the VW group are the most desirable and ironically the easiest to clone, but all can be done with half a days work.

It goes like this, buy the stolen (from a burglary) 05 plate Golf Tdi for £300, search Autotrader for an identical vehicle for sale, obtain the details you need for the clone documents, get them made up for £250, place your add and sell the car for 10 grand cash. If the owner has done a proper HPI they will receive their money back, if not the car goes to the insurance company who paid the original loser out.

If you are spending 10k and can afford to lose 10k then don't bother with an HPI check, if you are buying from a proper garage you don't really need one, spending a few hundred quid and it's not required.

Spend 10k on a car from a private sale without a HPI report at your peril.

Autocheck is cheap for the following reason.......

'A clone or ringer is not covered by AutoCheck Report Insurance''.

• Autocheck certainly seems to be the best value,

information site at freehpi.co.uk explains more about all the checks,

some are big rip offs £2 to check, and the sell it on to us at £35+. What a joke
  • If you buy at auction isn't there a fee you pay the auction house when you buy that covers you if the car is a stolen/cloned/writeoff ?
  • Hi,

thanks for the heads up re http://www.comparecarchecks.com - it worked great for me. Why don't people with good [free!] services shout louder???
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

thanks for the heads up re http://www.comparecarchecks.com - it worked great for me. Why don't people with good [free!] services shout louder???

Thanks from me too, i just checked the car im about to buy and came back clean fortunately, but since its an ebay purchase id better make sure! Im glad I did, and got it for a fiver.

Jo x
    #KiamaHouse
  • stevekell6
    stevekell6 Posts: 6 Forumite
    i know its an old thread but found this for anyone interested!!
    :beer:
    http://www.freehpi.co.uk/
  • text the car reg no only to 83600 and it will tell you exact model, if its been stolen, colour change etc and number of previous owners. a good basic check for three quid on your phone bill!
  • Unfortunately it doesn't tell you if any finance is outstanding on the vehicle. Also there is no insurance cover on the Information provided.
    Cashback Sites
    Quidco - £285.07 (Since July 07)
    Bank Charges
    HSBC - £4210 RECLAIMED!!
    Nationwide, Cahoot, Alliance and Leicester - I'm coming for ya!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback