manual assessment at Jag/Land Rover

Comments

• Went for my top up interview all it is is to top up your details on what has changed since your last interview nothing to formal just a chat.

Bad news.... No start dates until next May.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
  • Just so you are all aware, I currently work at solihull jlr in biw.... They are letting manpower staff go at the moment!
    Manpower and jlr are being very sneaky and underhand....
    They announced some shifts will be halfd in our quarterly brief in week 42... and this week they have been calling people in to the office and letting them go for flimsy reasons like, one days absence last year????
    They seem to think we're stupid and don't know what they are up too...
    Trust me, i don't want to squash anyone's dreams but it's not a safe job here like it was years ago....
    5 years probation is ridiculous, anyone can fall I'll in that time!?
    I wouldn't recommend working here, the pay is great but what you do for it, they get their money and worth out of you...
    If you have any questions I'll answer them honestly if I can....
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How are they being sneaky?

They announced the cuts (temporary, as I understand) and have to use some sort of criteria to decide who goes and who stays.

I agree there is a degree of uncertainty at the moment, what with the new model being behind and the possible repercussions from Brexit, but I doubt it is any worse than anywhere else in the same field (and the pay is excellent for the type of work).

Surprised you find BIW hard, it i usually considered one of the easier areas to work in, defiantly better than trim and final.
  • Just so you are all aware, I currently work at solihull jlr in biw.... They are letting manpower staff go at the moment!
    Manpower and jlr are being very sneaky and underhand....
    They announced some shifts will be halfd in our quarterly brief in week 42... and this week they have been calling people in to the office and letting them go for flimsy reasons like, one days absence last year????
    They seem to think we're stupid and don't know what they are up too...
    Trust me, i don't want to squash anyone's dreams but it's not a safe job here like it was years ago....
    5 years probation is ridiculous, anyone can fall I'll in that time!?
    I wouldn't recommend working here, the pay is great but what you do for it, they get their money and worth out of you...
    If you have any questions I'll answer them honestly if I can....

Absolutly disgusting how they handled this! Sound like I'm in the same body shop as you! The union dont give a !!!! about anyone on manpower, no support given whatsoever after nearly 2 years of member fees.
    I'm ok as I have FTC but I have lost some good mates ..
    One guy got dumped on someone else's report, manpower pulled his file out an it was belonged to a guy with the same name that works FA2. The poor guy said this is not my file and they replied - ah well it's done now!!!! Imagine getting sacked because they picked the wrong file.
  • What it's really like to work for Manpower at Landrover Solihull..

First you work for manpower, not JLR, you are constantly remind of this by being referred to as "Agency"...

You are easily identifiable as you will not have your name on your uniform, which is 2 shirts, 2 trousers and the jumper to last you 6-9+ when you get a second set, washing your shirts twice a week soon becomes a drag.

You will go through Pera for 2 weeks which at the time will seem like a drag but when you are on the track you'll dream of being back there lol.

You will than be sent of to either FA1 FA2 (assembly lines) paint or BIW!(body in white, where the cars are actually made via robots etc) there are others areas like stampings but you are unlikely to go there as they are full of 20 years plus service guys (old timers).

I've worked in all areas so I can tell you what they are like...

FA1 is non stop, the track will run no matter what 350 cars a shift, fa2 occasionally stops because if break downs but isn't far off.

As a "Agency" worker you will most likely get put on a crap job that the previous guy has begged to get off. Your process will be about a 80 seconds, put a clip on, do some bolts up, fit some trim etc but you'll just have enough !(or more likely not enough) time to complete this before the next car is in your station. You might be jumping in and out of a car with 5-6 other guys all scrabbling around you or working underneath with your arms above your head the whole shifts, it's very physical and repetitive... you get three or two 10-15 minuets breaks, so you need to decide if you need the loo, want to eat or have a quick smoke. As for toilet breaks on the track, unlikely, even if you can get cover you could be made to wait 20 mins and your not allowed to go 45 minster before or after a break!!! The toilets and rest areas in Fa1 are a disgrace for a company that earns billions in profits but I admit FA2 is lot better but leaving the guys in FA1 in the dark ages is unacceptable!

Paint is a little better if you like being in a hot humid climate with no fresh air doing jobs like wiping a panel down or removing excess silent all day every day. Some areas are better than others but not by much!

Biw, there are 3 body shops now, Defender and T5 Discovery are gone. This is definitely the better area you work. You may get a cell door job, loading parts in to a robot, or a cladding job on the track, these are better jobs than trim and finale but unbelievably boring. It's a real strain to get through a night shift when you're on a robot with no one to talk too.. But prey you end up there...

As Manpower you are seen as expendable. You WILL be on your manpower contract for 5 years in which time you can be informed that "next week you're not required" and !!!!!!, you've lost your job even if you have a 100% record.

They also run a ancient system as to where the longer you worker there (called service) the higher chance you have of getting position of responsibility !( CME GL off track jobs) rather than help develop the careers of the younger keener next generation of JLR works who won't get a look in... They seem to premote blind loyalty over previous experience and enthusiasm???

As the the parking situation.... if you are a new starter you can't park on site, it's a 15 min bus ride to and from the airport. You will need to be there 45 minster before your shift and it can take up.to an hour with traffic and the lack of buses to get back at the end of the shift...

If you are late or absent your card is marked, no matter what the reason " The Track Waits For No Man".

Its not all doom and gloom however. The money is excellent for a manual job, there are no skilled jobs for manpower people. You start at 70% of what a 5 year service employee gets and raises 10% twice than 5% each year. So you are expected to do a unskilled job for 30% less pay to the guy opposite you merrily because he's been there longer?? You get a RHA bound of one ours pay a week paid out in November and paid holidays during the shut down of you have a accrued them, ie if you start and in a month there is a two week shut down you'll get 4 days pay and that's it. They claim you can take holiday out if shut down but it's up to your PL (process leader) and most days have been booked by JLR staff so you won't get a look in. JLR staff get paid out a summer bonus, manpower don't!

As for the union... they'll tell you when you start you'll need to join if you want there support in the event of a disciplinary but they are useless. You as Manpower can't vote for the reps or even take part in ballots that effect you, again you are second class.

The 5 year temporary contract for Manpower staff is a stroke of genius for JLR... A disposable woke force who have the golden carrot of a contract dangled in front of them while having the whip of uncertainty and possible dismissal behind them if they step out of line... Congratulations Mr Tata..

But if you want a back breaking job with no security and little future but great pay than this is the place for you....
  • JRL4+
    JRL4+ Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 October 2016 at 1:27PM
    For the sake of balance, an alternative perspective.

I have been with JLR since 2012, so luckily only 1 year with Manpower. I have worked both at Solihull and Castle Bromwich, currently at CB.

I have nearly 30 years experience working in manufacturing in various factories including Solihull in the 90's and Longbridge.
    First you work for manpower, not JLR, you are constantly remind of this by being referred to as "Agency"...

This is obvious as that is who recruits you, pays you and who you deal with for any employment issues.
    You are easily identifiable as you will not have your name on your uniform, which is 2 shirts, 2 trousers and the jumper to last you 6-9+ when you get a second set, washing your shirts twice a week soon becomes a drag.

We had 5 t-shirts, two trousers and a jumper/jacket depending on area so don't know if they have cut that down. Make sure you are claiming the tax back for washing your own uniform ;)
    You will go through Pera for 2 weeks which at the time will seem like a drag but when you are on the track you'll dream of being back there lol.

Pera is what it is and at least will lead to a recognised qualification, which may come in useful in the future.

FA1 is non stop, the track will run no matter what 350 cars a shift, fa2 occasionally stops because if break downs but isn't far off.

Yep, that's how these thing go, time is money and every second of down time is costing the company. Pretty standard across all motor manufacturers.
    As a "Agency" worker you will most likely get put on a crap job that the previous guy has begged to get off.

Again, pretty standard, the "new blood" gets the rubbish jobs, but, you won't be the "new blood" for ever and will get your chance to move on to better things.
    it's very physical and repetitive...

Yep.
    you get three or two 10-15 minuets breaks, so you need to decide if you need the loo, want to eat or have a quick smoke. As for toilet breaks on the track, unlikely, even if you can get cover you could be made to wait 20 mins and your not allowed to go 45 minster before or after a break!!!

Again, pretty standard, your choice what to do with your break (but I would always go to the toilet for the reasons you say about getting cover), a lot of people I know have given up smoking due to the time restraints on breaks, so a plus for them :cool:.
    It's a real strain to get through a night shift when you're on a robot with no one to talk too.. But prey you end up there...

Agree on the monotony of some of the jobs, it definitely doesn't suit some people, but you are warned about and even asked how you will cope with this at your interview.
    As Manpower you are seen as expendable.

Everyone is expendable, but you are correct, Manpower will go first.
    You WILL be on your manpower contract for 5 years

Not necessarily true, the plan is to keep a consistent ration between JLR and Manpower staff, which means that as JLR people leave there will be places for Manpower to move into.
    in which time you can be informed that "next week you're not required" and !!!!!!, you've lost your job even if you have a 100% record.

Unfortunately a common situation with many employers nowadays.
    They also run a ancient system as to where the longer you worker there (called service) the higher chance you have of getting position of responsibility !( CME GL off track jobs) rather than help develop the careers of the younger keener next generation of JLR works who won't get a look in... They seem to premote blind loyalty over previous experience and enthusiasm???

Again, not necessarily true.

One lad I worked with at Solihull spent 3 months as Manpower, applied for and got a GL's job then 6 months later was promoted to a PL. A lot of the GL's I have worked for are fairly new ex Manpower, and quite a few of the people who started around the same time as me are now GL's. So it is possible for the right people.
    If you are late or absent your card is marked, no matter what the reason " The Track Waits For No Man".

Correct, rightly or wrongly. The track needs to run. If people aren't there on time then it can't and the company is losing money. When some of the cars cost in excess of £120,000 it is quite a significant loss.

Again this is the same for every factory I have ever worked in.
    there are no skilled jobs for manpower people.

I know of people who have moves into OTA(off track areas) or Maintenance from Manpower and even to AME (Advanced Manufacturing Engineering).
    You start at 70% of what a 5 year service employee gets and raises 10% twice than 5% each year. So you are expected to do a unskilled job for 30% less pay to the guy opposite you merrily because he's been there longer??

Yep, we all had to go through that (although we started on 80% and did two years at that). I'm on 92.5% at the moment going to 95% soon. It is still a good wage with a basic pay (at CB), for a 37 hr week of days of £30,000+ pa. Last year I earned £36,000 with various shifts and very little overtime.
    They claim you can take holiday out if shut down but it's up to your PL (process leader) and most days have been booked by JLR staff so you won't get a look in. JLR staff get paid out a summer bonus, manpower don't!

Floating days are booked on a "first come, first served" basis with a max of 2 off at a time. I have never known JLR get preference over Manpower. It should all be done fairly but I suppose there are some managers who twist things.
    You as Manpower can't vote for the reps or even take part in ballots that effect you, again you are second class.

You're right, you can's vote in JLR ballots, because you aren't employed by JLR.
    The 5 year temporary contract for Manpower staff is a stroke of genius for JLR... A disposable woke force who have the golden carrot of a contract dangled in front of them while having the whip of uncertainty and possible dismissal behind them if they step out of line... Congratulations Mr Tata.

Have to agree with the sentiments here, although I don't know how much Mr Tata had to do with it.

We were all quite surprised when the deal was announced and the union agreed to it.

Unfortunately the business is there to make money and we are all just numbers on paper to the bean counters. It all started to go wrong when the "personnel" department was replaced with "human resources", and not just at JLR but across the working world.
    But if you want a back breaking job with no security and little future but great pay than this is the place for you....

Back braking, don't know about that, I have yet to come across a job in JLR that is anywhere near as physically hard as my last job.

Job security is as good as anywhere else nowadays, the days of jobs for life have long gone and JLR are no worse than anywhere else and a lot better than some.

So, would I recommend applying for JLR?

If you have no job, or a crappy zero hrs job or similar then you have nothing to lose. The work can be hard and (very) boring but it is generally not difficult.

If you have a good, secure, reasonably well paid job then you need to give it very careful consideration. There are opportunities to earn excellent money (I personally know people who earned in excess of £50,000 last year, with lots of overtime) and opportunities for advancement for those who are willing and able.
  • polkoi
    polkoi Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks for taking the time to post all that. Seems a very balanced view :T
  • grdonc
    grdonc Posts: 21 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Absolutly disgusting how they handled this! Sound like I'm in the same body shop as you! The union dont give a !!!! about anyone on manpower, no support given whatsoever after nearly 2 years of member fees.
    I'm ok as I have FTC but I have lost some good mates ..
    One guy got dumped on someone else's report, manpower pulled his file out an it was belonged to a guy with the same name that works FA2. The poor guy said this is not my file and they replied - ah well it's done now!!!! Imagine getting sacked because they picked the wrong file.

Agree with you about the union mate but surely it is up to us to do something about it. They get away with looking after themselves and their mates because we allow them to.

The union needs a massive shake and new blood and needs to more representative of the workforce. The only people who can change that are the workforce themselves.
  • jadebee
    jadebee Posts: 174 Forumite
    Hi all.

My dad just got an email about a pre-employment day at a college in Wolverhampton. All other stages passed. Anyone know what this is?
  • mo82_2
    mo82_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi everyone

Does anyone know anything about a fixed weekend shift at Solihull plant?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure