MoneySaving Poll: Where's the best place to haggle on the high street?

Options
Poll started 26 May 2015

Where's the best place to haggle on the high street?

Haggling is alive and well in the UK, not just at call centres and market stalls, but even at high street chains. Whether it's asking 'em to throw in some extras or negotiating a discount, some succeed – so we want to know how you got on.

Please answer for all the stores you have tried to haggle in WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    B&Q kitchen (Cooke & Lewis) - all smoke and mirrors (i.e. "subject to survey") so no idea whether there was any discount as opposed to a rip-off.

If they move a gas cooker, the work has to be Gas Safe "certified". If they change a fuse, the work has to be electrically "certified". Both at outrageous prices.

0% finance - i.e. you will borrow from the company they choose and pay for credit even if you pay cash. No discount for cash payment in advance.

Are all kitchen installers the same?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Relbs
    Relbs Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asked in Kipling (bag shop) today if there was any discount available as they only had the showroom 'model' left in bag I wanted. she said she would speak to her manager who would be back soon. I went back after lunch and got a 50% off a £158 bag (I would not have paid that much for it!)! Woo hoo!
    (It's a changing bag and handbag, so will be used daily for the next X years, worth the money!)
  • mollymorls
    mollymorls Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    If you're extra nice it's easy to get a freebie from McDonald's, Burger King etc...
    2015 total wins = £620
    2016 total wins = £1500
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mollymorls wrote: »
    If you're extra nice it's easy to get a freebie from McDonald's, Burger King etc...

Really I have never seen any of these places give anything away for free as they all franchises and run by people who just want the profits.

I've bartered many a thing over the years from cars to building materials but the better one was recent furniture purchased which was a couple of beds, wardrobes, table and chairs plus two sofas and being an independent small outfit I got a good chunk off due to paying cash for it all.

Have tried in larger stores like PC World with this to but never saved a great deal with them just the odd few quid when making a few large purchases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure