We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Getting rid of ants

Petula
Petula Posts: 194 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We have two raised beds that are already crawling with ants. In the past we've lost plants because of this down to them tunnelling through the soil and also munching the young plants themselves. The last two years I've put down ant traps which helped but needed to be replaced quite often.

Is there anything that can be dug into the soil prior to planting that would send them on their way but not harm new plants?

Thank you :D

Comments

• I wonder if planting garlic puts them off. Everything else bar humans seems to hate it.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you find a way to get rid of Ants, will it get rid of Decs as well?

One can only hope!
  • Petula
    Petula Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    unforeseen wrote: »
    If you find a way to get rid of Ants, will it get rid of Decs as well?

One can only hope!

If there is a solution to my problem and it also rids of Decs I shall NOT use it and just let the Ants take over! :rotfl:

Anyone?? I've got some young plants that could go in any time now, would like to see the ants off first though :(
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Clove oil is supposed to deter them - they hate it. And vinegar. Use a watering can and make up a mix of clove oil and water - sprinkle it on and see them go. It's a bit pricey to buy at the chemist. So follow it up with a weekly spray of 50/50 vinegar until they disappear completely and go somewhere else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure