'Support onclick'?

Comments

• Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Read this thread.

If they've been inside your PC then it's a bit late. What you do now is up to you but at the very least run a fullish security scan for malware. Which security do you have?

[If you have NO anti-virus/malware then you definitely want the first thing on this list -or similar]
    Free: www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/
    Free: www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    Free: https://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
    Free: www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ (don't install the toolbar unless you want it)

Those will simply give your machine a bit of a clean if necessary and check for anything running that might be dodgy. This company mentioned on this thread are scumbags but not the type that want the police at their door so they probably leave little or no trail or even damage.

If you simply visited their site then there's not too much to worry about. If you have given your private details or banking to them then you should worry.

And stop speaking to complete strangers over the phone.
  • mathsmum
    mathsmum Posts: 21 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 October 2009 at 5:32PM
    just had a call like this, tho the caller claimed to be from microsoft, responding to a windows error message (have you read the blogs where someone's tried to get ms to respond to an error message!) but based in oxfordshire (this is mentioned on the H security)

we never got as far as the 'turning on your computer ' bit (i was busy and couldn't be bothered to do the 'i'll just put the phone down whilst i turn the computer on' counter-scam) - but i wondered, could they just take phone numbers off standard lists, and assume you have a computer, like the licencing folk assume you have a tv? if they were just after cc details, it wouldn't matter if they could hook up to your computer or not
  • My ex husband had a call from this company and because he knows nothing regarding pcs..he fell for it!! when he mentioned it to me i quickly looked it up on the internet..low and behold lots of complaints!! He has now cancelled all cards has informed the police and trading standards. It is a 0800 number he was given..bt should check who uses their 0800 numbers..he rang supportoclick last night and they cut him off!! We all need to tell as many people as possible about this scam!! I had a similar call a while ago and i just said my son would sort it out as he is a computer tech!!
    jfdi wrote: »
    Just had a really weird call from 'Support Onclick' saying they'd spotted we'd just opened a malicious file - & offering support.

When asked how they knew they said they worked with 'all the big companies' & were asked to check these things out!

Very weird, coz I was only just booting up the PC at the time, not having been on it since last night.

Allegedly they're from Bradford!

Any ideas?
  • Jemma-T
    Thanks for letting us know! :)

Google brings lots of people here but people only Google after they've given away their details.

Unless you're expecting a call or email from someone trust no caller/emailer. You'd not trust them at your door so apply that to the phone/email.

If you have people in the house who you can't trust then don't let them use the landline. It's not a toy.
  • waptext
    waptext Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My uncle got conned by this , they called themselves supportontech and charged him £105 for two years support , he had a problem with his pc being slow and had clicked send report so it could be someone at microsoft selling the details , He paid by paypal but it was too late to cancell it so its now in the hands of trading standards and the credit card company , apparently they cover frauds over a hundred quid ..
  • Since I first broke this story back on my site in Jan 2009 http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/supportonclick-systemrecure-scam I've had 24,000 views, 261 comments and a sudden resurgence in people Googling for info on this scam. It appears Supportonclick have stepped up a gear. I've just added loads of links and more info to the site. I'd love it if someone could get the BBC interested in this story too (link on the site).

Stay vigilant!
  • It's not just a Talk-Talk thing. I'm with O2. In the summer I got 3 or 4 calls to which I just said "Sorry, not interested", which obviously didn't work. The last call I got I was in a good mood so listened to their initial guff for 30 seconds or so, then asked how they knew my PC was infected and was told "we are accredted Microsoft support". I continued to politely voice my concerns about being hacked into until finally the woman passed me to her supervisor, who started the guff again only this time ordering me to switch on my computer etc. I asked him, as I was concerned, for details of my operating system, AV and firewall set-up as proof of his knowledge. More loudness and ordering to switch on the PC. When I said I wouldn't he got louder still and called me a fool. I told him I didn't have a PC anyway [ a fib - I feel so bad:rolleyes:] so how could they have accessed it ... dictator-level ranting ending with "You've been wasting my time!" When I started to suggest it could be the other way round he said "F**k off!" and I was cut off :D

Not heard from them since, but I will be contacting Watchdog ... thank you digitaltoast for the link. Now for the two get-your-bank-charges-back scammers who phone me ... glad I found my way here! [Via Jack Schonfield's column on the Guardian site]
  • Jemma-T
    Strange how this thread keeps popping back. I got a PM yesterday off a forum member about these scumbags. I'll not post the message but for the other visitors here's my reply:

Hi ----,

Sorry to hear this happened. It's NOT rare. Happened to my relative and a continuous payment authority (CPA) was setup.

I only found out about this AFTER 12 months of them taking almost £30 a month. Obviously, we're dealing with old people (my relative = 89) who are too loose with their info. I had to -essentially- lie to his bank and say he had no idea who set up the CPA. Just make sure that's not happened with you -but hold off until his next bill or 2 arrives. If you phone the now then that means you know he gave authority.

AVG is fine. Set it to do a full scan. If you are still worried then a system restore (see here) should sort it.

I also have to mention about 18 months after this incident it happened again with a similar company (a "magazine" subscription). They obviously keep/share the info of the scammed people. Try and express the seriousness of the situation (NEVER give out or confirm anything unless it's expected) to your Dad without worrying him.

Good luck with everything! :)

Best,

JT
    Now, I don't know if this is the same scum but it's obvious they are still scum preying on people's ignorance, age or stupidity. Free VOIP and cheap calls doesn't help either but there's not much that can be done.

Best thing is to block calls I reckon. Nobody with anything important or serious to tell you (unless it's a death) will phone on the off chance. I reckon most of us know this but there's lots of people who have little or no common sense. And it's got nothing to do with your age.

As for that 2nd incident with my relative I didn't sort it out (the energy involved is too much) as when I first queried it was told it was for a golf magazine. Hmmm. The credit card has now been cancelled and I've rubbed the 3 digit number off the back of his debit card. A bit naughty that I know but he's not all there and caused the family lots of problems like this. He still has use of his card of course (and he keeps the PIN number with the card on a bit of paper of course).

That's an extreme case but speaking to his bank on the first occasion the woman I spoke to knew we were telling porkies and said CPAs were a serious problem and most people just accepted the initial brush off from the bank

Unless you know the person don't speak to strangers on the phone. If it's important they will send you a letter or come to your door.
  • Just got a call from them ... while he was telling me to open the event viewer etc. I was actually googling his company name and reading this thread.

Eventually I told him my computer was running just fine at the moment. He gave me his name and two phone numbers 'in case I had problems'. :rolleyes:
  • I just got the call (supportonclick) it was a female (asian) voice, and she told me she was from supportonclick. I was suspicious instantly because I hadn't asked for any such calls and didn't recognise the name.

She wanted to know if my computer was running slow.

(Actually I was using a MacBook at the time, though we have two other Windows machines in the house.)

I asked the company name again, and then how she got my name. She said she had all the names of "privileged Windows users". So I said that that sounded like a strong security breach to me.

At that point a mans voice was heard (unintelligible, I'm afraid) and the line went dead.

No risks there, then, but this is just a note to say that nice, friendly female voices are just as likely to be scamming you as any others.

By the way, I'm on Orange Broadband, and use a wireless router in the house. These people may just be trawling.

(Of course found this forum immediately after she hung up.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure