Verified by Visa problems - anyone else?

Comments

• dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2012 at 9:10PM
    tagq2 wrote: »
    VbV seems harmful to the consumer. If your computer is compromised, you may be held responsible for subsequent fraud. It's nothing like a PIN, which is only typed in on isolated, secure systems.

It's even worse when the VbV password isn't well managed - e.g. for the Co-op it's your "memorable name" for general banking login which you initially give to an assistant over the telephone.

Sorry, but you cannot be held responsible for online fraud, even when VbV is used.

When you 1st use your card at a retailer that uses VbV. It is at that point YOU set it up. It should not be set by your bank....

Read this Which explains more from visa
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Stve
    Stve Posts: 1 Newbie
    sharzy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm also having problems making payments online because of the visa verification saying I'm entering the wrong date of birth.
    I called into my local branch and they confirmed my details were correct on their system. She even turned the computer screen so I could see it for myself.

She suggested I contact visa themselves but now that I've read the problems other people are having I doubt if I will be successful.

Has anyone any suggestions where to go from here?

Cheers

Maybe my wife wasted a couple of hours yesterday trying to complete the verified by Visa registration & failing with the wrong date of birth , we phoned the help line ( First Direct ) wasted 10 minutes & £1.14 in phone charges without any solution but they did promise to call us back. 40 minutes later they called back & after about 5 minutes we found out that my Wife had to enter the major card holders date of birth ?
    That's sick & beyond crazy, on the form it said enter the card holders detail's there was no mention of having to enter the major card holders date of birth.
    My Wife then completed the form with her details & my date of birth, the application form updated for a couple of second showing an error then vanished but within a minute we had an email from Asda confirming the purchase.
  • alibongo42 wrote: »
    In my (limited) experience, it doesn't matter if you remember your password. Every time you use it, you have the option to click "Forgotten Password" and reset it!

THANK YOU
    I thought it was just me, I have been going nuts with this one for years, so glad it isn't only me.
    :beer:
    THANK YOU
  • dalesrider
    Stve wrote: »
    Maybe my wife wasted a couple of hours yesterday trying to complete the verified by Visa registration & failing with the wrong date of birth , we phoned the help line ( First Direct ) wasted 10 minutes & £1.14 in phone charges without any solution but they did promise to call us back. 40 minutes later they called back & after about 5 minutes we found out that my Wife had to enter the major card holders date of birth ?
    That's sick & beyond crazy, on the form it said enter the card holders detail's there was no mention of having to enter the major card holders date of birth.

So your wife was using a credit card that and she is a additonal card holder on your account.
    Visa only get the account holders details on THEIR system. Its nothing to do with the bank.

£1.14 for a 10 min call?????
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Caryne
    Caryne Posts: 687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know what to do to 'scroll up' when only half the VBV page appears? I can enter all the details but as the lower part of the form is not showing I simply cannot submit it. Very annoying.
  • dalesrider
    Caryne wrote: »
    Does anyone know what to do to 'scroll up' when only half the VBV page appears? I can enter all the details but as the lower part of the form is not showing I simply cannot submit it. Very annoying.

Try TAB (key with arrows pointing left & right) or the up down cursor keys.
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Caryne
    Caryne Posts: 687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dalesrider wrote: »
    Try TAB (key with arrows pointing left & right) or the up down cursor keys.

No, tried that. The thing is the VBV box is a page within a page so the usual things just don't seem to work. Does anyone else get the same problem? I've had it before and just shut the page down and started again and the whole page appears but today it didn't so I had to cancel the transaction totally.:mad:
  • jambosans wrote: »
    My understanding was that Verified by Visa is a service provided through the Visa Network, so you can't solely place the blame it on Nationwide.

BTW this thread is three years old.

It's now six years old and still the problems remain.
    EVERY time I try to use VbV, I get 'Transaction Failed' without even getting the chance to enter anything. I then have to telephone Nationwide, wait for rome time, speak to someone who sounds as if he or she is in Asia, then get transferred (after another wait) to someone with a British accent who 'unblocks' my account.All of these conversations have security checks which take time. It then works......until the next time.
    There is no point in changing banks as they all use VbV. (as you said)
    I have tried to find out if there is a Mastercard alternative but short of actually visiting a Mastercard issuing bank there is no information. (as far as I can see). It's a really rubbish system and there seems to be no way of forcing them to improve.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    lesallis wrote: »
    I then have to telephone Nationwide, wait for rome time, speak to someone who sounds as if he or she is in Asia

Nationwide's call centres are UK-only, so it won't be Asia.

On your main point though - although it's (probably) not Nationwide's fault, it may be worth making a complaint to them - they can then follow up with Visa to hopefully resolve the problem. Otherwise you'll just keep going round in circles and having it unblocked each time.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    lesallis wrote: »
    It's now six years old and still the problems remain
    Have you had the same computer for 6 years or have you tried it on a different one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure