Lidl Bifinett breadmaker - any recipes that work?

Comments

• alsmith_3
    alsmith_3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi

To help identify what the problem is you really need to give some details, not just that it doesn't work. What the bread itself is like gives good clues to what is going wrong.

Added after initial typing the response:
    I just noticed the slab bit. A few possibilities are that the water temperature was too low so the dough didn't reach a temperature when rising to allow it to work- too high kills the yeast, you should use lukewarm water. Is it mixed in yeast or did you add a seperate sachet as the premixes can come either way. When using seperate ingredients you need to keep the salt away from the yeast as it will kill it. The pack should be in date as it can co off, and should be stored in not too hot or cold conditions.
    I once had a similar problem on this machine (never on the other makes I've had)- the paddles hadn't properly engaged so weren't turning. It took the second loaf to notice - I kept going back and lifting the lid to check the various stages (I know youre not supposed to) but quickly noticed they had disengaged part way through- I now make sure the pan is properly in place at each use.
    Back to what I had typed-

The water temperature can make a big difference, it shouldn't really be cold or too hot- lukewarm is recommended (I did have temperatures but everything is packed away- a web search should bring you the answer). Carefull when reading this info- water added to a premix is a different temperature to just yeast when using separate ingredients.
    The right amount of water makes a big difference. You should increase the amount of water and mix in the same proportion for lareger (or smaller) loaves to that given in the pack instructions, for example if yor mix says 100g of mix with 50 ml of water keep the same proportion if you scale up or down, So 200g mix/100ml water, 110gmix/55ml water, 80g/40ml.

Most of the premixes seem to give pretty good results- I like McDougals white bread mix most but the supermarkets own (like Asda) are good too. One good one is fromLakeland- (UK distributor, not sure where you are) they import an Australian brand Laukke. This one has a separate yeast sachet, you add when baking, and there are coices like crusty, soft crust, wholemeal ....

A bit more expensive though- they have stores in some big cities or supply by mail order. The supermarkets probably just use one or two suppliers so they will probably all be fairly similar, and Asda had a few brand name choices too.
    I predominately use mixes but do use ingredients at times- but I havent found great advantage for using fresh ingredients for the extra faffing around and time- the loaves can be better and you can mess around with the ingredients where needed- salt and sugar levels can make a big difference for example- but premixes shoud be ok. Out of expiry mix can cause bread not to rise.

Also, did you know there are a number of books on machine made bread?
    For example The Bread Machine Cookbook is £4 at Amazon, you can often check reveiws to see what others buyers have thought. I'm not singling that book out for personal reccomendation, it was just top of the list- there are lots of others. Perhaps other forum members can reccomend one? I bought one when I got my first bread machine- it really helped me. Again it's packed away, I can't remember the name.
  • HomingPigeon
    HomingPigeon Posts: 384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Many thanks for such helpful replies. At present I have only tried the mixes, following the instructions exactly, and not adding any extras, but I am going to buy some ingredients and have a go from scratch. I have already got a ciabatta mix which I will try - anyone made a loaf with the ciabatta, and any hints/tips please? Also, anyone know what programme number I should choose for ciabatta bread? The packet says use normal setting (whatever that may be!)

Thanks for reply.
  • Can anyone understand what the numbers are all about? I've looked at various websites (all foreign) but they just say the numbers indicate the mineral content of the flour, not what the flour's called. Most of the loaves I've made in my machine since I bought it a few weeks ago have been disastrous, too - the only success was a brown farmhouse (regular programme) - and I wonder if it's because I've used the wrong flour. So far I've tried Saijnsbury's, Dove Farm, Lidl and Waitrose strong bread flours, white and brown, but they don't have numbers on their packets. My local Lidl doesn't sell the bread mix, just flour.
  • tigergold
    tigergold Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    No idea what the numbers mean - i do not think it matters as they only really sell strong bread flour here. when you say the bread has been a disaster - what has happened - have they not risen, has it not cooked through ? I'll try and help you out, as it must be so fustrating.
    Today I made a loaf using Lidl stong white bread flour and a few heaped tablespoon of corn meal - i can give whole recipie but I always use the same formula as mentioned on my previous posts. And its always worked.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Try the one I made today, it sank slightly but it was totally edible and amazed my husband how bread like it was!

:o

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=790743

I have a Morphy Richards Fastbake which isn't the same machine as the one he was using and it seemed to be 'nearly' a success.

;)
  • tigergold
    tigergold Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Anyone who is interested try the cake setting with the Lidl choc chip cake mix - i added extra nuts and it turned out really well. Used 1/2 a block of marg (125g) an 3 eggs-so not one to make if you are counting the calories.
    Worth a try if u need a quick cake.
  • tigergold wrote: »
    yes lidl bread mixes are more brown flours. To make white bread i just use the strond bread flour. I can't understnd how you ended up with a "bread slab" - maybe there is something wrong with the machine, the elements not getting hot enough. When i made the lidl bread mix, the dough rised till it touched the lid and the loaf fillled the tin. this is my first breadmaker so i'm am not an expert on these things, check these things, maybe someone else has any idea:
    *Did you put the water in first and then the flour
    *Are the paddles in ok
    *Does your dough rise before it gets to the baking stage.
    *which prog. did you use to make the bread mix?
    *Are you using FAST ACTION yeast - i have only found this sold in sachets, i did buy yeast in a tin but this is not fast action, needs mixing with water, left to activate and it said not suitable for breadmakers.
    Am attempting yet another loaf right now (basic white) but don't hold out a lot of hope as it's at final proving stage and looks like a solid lump with only 18 minutes to go before baking.

I did try a fruit one last week and accidentally programmed in 1250g loaf instead of usual 1000g one and it was pretty good, so maybe that's what I should do in future, even though I'm following recipe for a 1000g one.

Also, one of the paddles regularly comes loose even though I lock it into place when I start. I have stopped machine and relocked it, but it doesn't always stay there. I'm almost at the point of taking the thing back to Lidl for a refund - I could have bought several loaves from my local baker or supermarket for the money I've wasted trying to make my own!
  • alsmith_3
    sally_b wrote: »

Also, one of the paddles regularly comes loose even though I lock it into place when I start. I have stopped machine and relocked it, but it doesn't always stay there. I'm almost at the point of taking the thing back to Lidl for a refund - I could have bought several loaves from my local baker or supermarket for the money I've wasted trying to make my own!
    Thanks very much for that, tigergold. I will keep trying, but it is very frustrating when I keep failing! Yesterday I made a loaf with a bread mix from Lidl and after the initial disappointment I couldn't help but laugh - it came out at just over one inch high. A bread slab rather than a bread loaf!

I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the machine, although hubby insists I should just keep experimenting with it. I have only had it for about six weeks.

I had an attempt at a loaf and it was flat/unrisen with a similar cause- paddles not properly engaging, (I think) I haven't revealed before that I took that first machine back- the bread tin wasnt seating properly which I think was causing the problem. I took it back, they were happy to refund but I asked if I could look at another- better feel to the pan going in, and the paddles felt a better fit so I exchanged it. I'm happy with that decision.
    There's nothing to stop you trying an exchanged machine, if it's no good get a refund. Maybe it's not mixing correctly if it isn't fitting correctly.

With regard to your bread make sure you are using lukewarm water= too cold and it may not be reaching the optimum temperature, too hot and you can kill the yeast. Are your ingredients a premix? If not are you starting the process straight from putting the ingredients in or using the timer? Using the timer when using separate ingredients they need to be put in so the yeast is nowhere near the water.
  • wizzkid_3
    wizzkid_3 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Hello

I was raving about this BM a couple of months ago. Then a week or so ago the paddles started coming off the spindles. I can't find the reciept, but I called their spares line and discussed it with them. Apparently it is just wear and tear! She seemed to think that 2 months making a couple of loaves a day was just about the life span of the spindles and paddles and would obviously wear out with so much use! :confused:

Not sure what to do now, I don't want to fork out £15 every 2 months for new pan and paddles, but it did a brilliant loaf and a long one too rather than the traditional tall square ones.

Has anybody got any idea how I could 'stick' the paddles to the spindles, or is there a BM which works well with a long loaf pan?
  • alsmith_3
    wizzkid wrote: »
    Hello

I was raving about this BM a couple of months ago. Then a week or so ago the paddles started coming off the spindles. I can't find the reciept, but I called their spares line and discussed it with them. Apparently it is just wear and tear! She seemed to think that 2 months making a couple of loaves a day was just about the life span of the spindles and paddles and would obviously wear out with so much use! SMILEY KILLED
    Not sure what to do now, I don't want to fork out £15 every 2 months for new pan and paddles, but it did a brilliant loaf and a long one too rather than the traditional tall square ones.

Has anybody got any idea how I could 'stick' the paddles to the spindles, or is there a BM which works well with a long loaf pan?

If you paid by bank card it will be on a statement. Check your statements. Also all items should have a reasonable life, whatever the guarantee says- and I think most courts would agree that 2 months is less than you should expect. Speak to your local citizens advice about this, they should be able to tell you your rights.
    Armed with that go to the shop and ask politely and calmly for a replacement (of the whole machine) because of it's unsuitably short lifespan, no need to mention citizens advice unless they say no, but you'll be in a position to push at this point if needed.
    It may be that the model of bread machine may not have been on sale for a year yet- that would mean it should still be within a years guarantee- you could try saying that too (but I don't know how long it's been available).

I have to say I'm a little suprised they didnt offer to exchang it straight away- my local store has with other things, and gave me a credit note for a different product when they had no replacement and I had no receipt. Other times I have received refunds without a problem.

Let us know what happens please- I assume I would not be the only person who would not buy from an obstructive or unhelpful supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure