Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Comments

• magpie1892
    magpie1892 Posts: 38 Forumite
    It Looks Like An Actual Defence.the Document Is 6 Pages And Rambles On About All Sorts Of Solicitors Jargon.does This Mean I Need A Solicitor ? ? ?
  • Kurt_Hamster
    Kurt_Hamster Posts: 791 Forumite
    Why would you need a solicitor?

...and just because it's 6 pages of legalese does not mean

A) it was written by a solicitor
    B) it actually means anything
    C) it's a valid defence

Most times these defences are deliberately written in dense legalese specifically to intimidate lay persons like the majority of claimants. Invariably it transpires that it's all total tosh, after all the bank has no intention of actually appearing before a judge and trying to bamboozle someone who knows they are talking BS.
    Hamsters have no tact and diplomacy, nor do they want any.
  • karinina
    karinina Posts: 8 Forumite
    Daisymae, I applied several times over the last 6 years to have my overdraft increased;A&L refused every time. This meant i went over the overdraft limit many times and got hit with the full charge; not once but usually twice as i didn't have enough time between notification of going over the limit and the next presentation of cheque. It was a hilarious sinario: I would receive the notification(£35 charge), rush immediately with the money in cash to the bank(taken from a savings account with A&L) only to find i was too late anyhow as they had already charged me a second time!!!(a further £35 charge) I really resent this.
    The only reason they settled my claim recently with a reasonable amount is that my account with them has improved and i no longer have the problems of a few years ago! It seems so unfair as it put so much pressure on me(and I'm sure you) at the time. I could NOT get out of debt as they hit me every time! I will never forgive them. Intend to change accounts as i opened a parachute account that I have not, as yet, used....good luck with your claims!
  • arkwright2
    arkwright2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    EssexGuy wrote: »
    Hi ladies and gents,

Could anyone assist me with a query? I have used MCOL to try and reclaim £2790 in bank charges from Alliance & Leicester.

I recently took them through the court process however they did not acknowledge the claim within th 14days and I have requested judgement by default.

This was accepted, judgement was entered on 15th May 2007 and the order was sent to the defendant.

Does anyone know the timescales as to what happens next? and how I should expect to recieved payment?

Any help is much appreciated!

Exactly the same happened with my claim. The Warrant was issued on 4th May and sent to the bailiffs in Liverpool. A&L paid the court on 16th May, but the court keeps the money for 14 days under the Insolvency Act 1986, then I suppose the court will send me a cheque (not sure if it's the original one from A&L or one written out by the court). I assume they keep the money for 14 days to ensure A&L's cheque doesn't bounce ;) , which means it must be a court cheque. Whichever way, I should have my money by the end of the May.

So, between judgment being entered against A&L and getting the money, it's about 4 weeks.
  • dbrooke
    dbrooke Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hello

I have started to reclaim my bank charges from A&L, I have sent the first letter asking for detail of the charges. after 40 days I sent another letter requesting the details by recorded delivery. I have still had no reply(about 14 days after that letter), so I have to go to the information commissioner I suppose. I can't find details of how to proceed with the information commissioner. Any guidance?
  • magpie1892 wrote: »
    I HAVE JUST GOT A DEFENCE PAPER FROM WRAGG&CO SOLICITORS SAYING THEY ARE TO DEFEND FOR A + L. ITS DATED 11TH MAY 2007,IS THIS ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT OR DOES SEEM STANDARD PRACTICE TO SCARE ME ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT THANKS:confused:

Hi Magpie1892,

I've also recieved one of these documents. Looks like A & L have some sort of deal with Wragg & co to send out a standard written defence. Reading through it, it doesn't seem pertinent to my case at all for example there is a paragraph under section 10 that states :

The claimant has failed to particularise the claim against the defendent adequately or at all and the Claiment is requested to particularise each and every charge the the claiment alleges the Defendent has added to the account, specifying the amount charged, the date of the charge and the explanation given for the charge.

Well this is absolute rubbish, I have sent a copy of my bank statements (with charges highlighted) and a copy of the interest calculator, TWICE to A & L. So on this basis i have a feeling this letter is a standard template...... So i'm getting ready to go to court! Anyone got any tips?

thanks
  • Could anybody give me any advice? Alliance & Leicester have put in a defence and I don't know what to do next.
  • Kurt_Hamster
    Kurt_Hamster Posts: 791 Forumite
    You tell us what they have written so we can properly answer the question.
    Hamsters have no tact and diplomacy, nor do they want any.
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Could anybody give me any advice? Alliance & Leicester have put in a defence and I don't know what to do next.

Their defences appear to be standard ... a large number of us have received the same ones. If they state you have not "particularised" your claim, just send them a copy of your schedule, stating that you've already sent this to the bank and hope it clarifies your claim.

There's an Alliance & Leicester thread further down .... have a read of all the posts and it will help you a lot (although your post may be merged with it anyway).icon7.gif
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • Nadirish
    Nadirish Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hey Blueskateboard, i'm in the same position as you, my claim has been moved to my local court, so i'm just waiting on a date ...........i've received the defence from Wragge and it said that i did not list charges etc..........lying you know whats!!! i sent a and l a comprehensive list of charges so i just sent another copy of these charges to Wragge and Co.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure