12 years of the CSA & another reform..?

++

Watching the news this morning I see we are due yet another reform of the CSA system...

Whilst I am in favour of a simpler, faster and fairer system for all concerned - it just leaving me gobsmacked that they keep harping on about NRP's who don't pay...

The CSA has NEVER had any success at tracking NRP's who don't give addresses or lie about their income and extracting money out of them...

It infuriates me when the ministers and spokes people for the various organisations make out that all NRPs are tyring to avoid paying...

I notice that they are threatening to tag non-payers so they can't go out at night and take passports so they can't go on holiday - I pay to the CSA and I don't have the money to go out at night and there's no spare money for holidays. So feel free to tag me!!

As stated in my other recent thread - My household is left with £64.08 a week above our protected income level and the CSA take ALL that money. Like most who have dealt with the CSA, I have some arrears and they want £50 a week so we are going to be living BELOW the poverty line thanks to the CSA.

I wait to see what's going to happen!!

++

Comments

• furby-2003
    furby-2003 Posts: 726
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    lets put it this way if they write off the debt that my ex owe's they can swing for the working tax credit I apparently owe!!
    Converted comper to MSE. Thank you for all your answers!
  • jaja_3
    jaja_3 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Now there's a thought Furby, LOL.

Sorry KD, I totally agree. I was fuming when I heard that this morning, I am wondering who in the CSA is going to be tagged though? as its them who owe me the money and not the NRP due to computer fault they owe me over a years money I am still fighting for - I would like to see them tagged.

Its a shame they STILL havent managed to work something out for the self employed NRP's who lie through their back teeth about their earnings, and something a little fairer for people like you not trying to shirk:mad:

jaja
  • furby-2003
    furby-2003 Posts: 726
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    it does mean by the looks of it we will have to sort out an agreement with then outselves according to the report i've seen but I really don't fancy speaking to him, this should be a bit awkward
    Converted comper to MSE. Thank you for all your answers!
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On paper it looks like a good idea....let those couples who are happy to make their own arrnagements do so, but target those who won't pay.

However, I've never dealt with the CSA, (although I do know some who have), so I don't suppose it will be this straightforward.....
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I can't see it making much difference at all, except for those PWCs who are on benefits. They can keep a higher amount of maintenance before it affects their benefits, but for the rest of us, there is already a choice and for those it is only those who cannot agree between themselves who choose to go to the CSA - so where is the change? My ex owes me in excess of 25k. He is under a suspended prison sentence for failing to pay. He paid some for a year but decided to stop and is facing 6 weeks inside plus coming out to still owe the money because, unlike other debts, it doesn't get wiped out by going to prison.

The CSA already have many powers to enforce, but have failed to do so because senior management and Ministers decided that it would not look good on them to bring the bad guys to book, so the staff as usual get all the blame when they have their hands tied behind their backs. At last though, they seem to recognise that they need to take action against the diehards. They have already tackled the calculation issue by changing it, although this has still yet to be sorted out finally with all on the new system.

The CSA isn't being scrapped, merely re-named with the same calculation formula as per the new system and better enforcement. What will make it work would be enough staff and the Ministers allowing them to do their jobs the way it was intended.
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    might be a good idea if the CSA upped the amount from £5 to maybe £10 or £15 per week from a NRP'S dole money to pay for their children, it might make them think twice about jacking their job in cause they think they will be better off not working :)
  • This is a serious question as I have never (and will never ) have any dealings with the CSA.

What goes wrong with it? Why are people who are prepared and willing to pay clobbered by the CSA and yet prople who won't pay not made to pay? I thought the whole idea of the CSA was to make those who were reluctant pay up?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Because those who are usually the unwilling ones are the self-employed who along with not declaring their true income to the CSA, usually do not declare the true amount to the Inland Revanue either. It is a very few Self-employed people who end up with a high or even decent sized assessment. It takes a lot of proof and evidence gathering to protest about it and win. Whereas PAYE people usually pay higher taxes and National Insurance and have an assessment based upon their earnings which they can't hide.

The assessments are all calculated in the same way, but because the self-employed can fiddle figures, only those on PAYE who have a willing wages dept who are willing to lie about their earnings (which is a criminal offence), they end up paying more. It is very simple really, not rocket science.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure