IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Do I need to pay a parking charge for a free car park?

Options
I have received a parking notice for parking I a free customer car park. The car park is private land for a shopping centre and is free to park for customers. I am staff and have been given a parking notice for £80. I just want to know if I need to pay this and what would happen if I just ignored it?

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Look around here and you'll see similar examples, and the sorts of information the experts will need to help you. At the moment they can't as you haven't provided enough information.Do your own research and they'll help you with the details. Might take a bit of time though..
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need the dedicated parking board found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Be sure to read the thread that tells Newbies to read it.
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure that it doesn't have a time limit for parking?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Most "free" car parks have a time limit, sometimes you "buy" a free ticket.
    Most require you to park in bays.
    Some ( Lidl ? ) require at least one person from the vehicle to remain on the shopping complex.
    Some need you to be able to produce a receipt for more than an amount, if staying longer than a time.

First step is probably to check what the notice board said, and the charge notice.
    Chances are that you missed some small print.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Chances are that you missed some small print.

Given that the OP has ignored the FIG they agreed to have read and understood on signup and posted this thread in the wrong forum and failed to read the sticky that would have answered all their questions, it looks pretty certain they missed the small print.

So now they need to get into the correct forum and start by reading the Sticky carefully.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Given that the OP has ignored the FIG they agreed to have read and understood on signup and posted this thread in the wrong forum and failed to read the sticky that would have answered all their questions, it looks pretty certain they missed the small print.

So now they need to get into the correct forum and start by reading the Sticky carefully.

Chances are their next post will be "I've had a court claim for a parking fine what do I do?"
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or their employer will stop it out of their wages.....

Staff isn't customers, so it is not free for staff, probably somewhere in the contact of employment it says you can't park there, under pain of dire consequences/fines/warnings/dismissal.

Take it to the parking forum as advised.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • RickRastardly
    Options
    Well he doesn't work by himself, I cant help feeling this could have been averted by a simple conversation with a work mate along the lines of ''where do you park''.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I work for a supermarket and for any staff using the store's car park we enter our registration into a machine at the customer service desk (when joining the company) to avoid receiving any fines from Parking Eye.

When you're next at work ask them where you're supposed to park when you're a colleague and it might be a good idea to contact the company who've sent you the letter with proof you were working that day and not shopping at the centre.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, you actually work in a place where ParkingEye infest. I hope you don't rejoice in working for Morrisons, who signed up for 5 years with a ridiculous contract that allows PE to sue their customers. Madness, stupidity, Morrisons regret it so much they cancel every PCN, every time a customer complains. But they can't save those who ignore and get sued.

More fool Morrisons for signing 5 year long contracts with a firm they could have Googled an discovered in minutes that PE have form (PE v Somerfield should have been a warning to them).

Aldi and Asda are just as bad in allowing this monster to harass their customers, having swallowed the spiel about ANPR.

Not sure I could stomach them breathing down my neck every day at my workplace (no chance!!), trouble is most Supermarkets are so damn stupid they use parking firms despite the fact most locations DO NOT 'need' one at all.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure