Car being written off - help needed to maximise claim

Options
My wife has just been involved in an accident where her car looks as though it may well be written off (contacted by garage yesterday who state that the final decision will be with the insurance companies engineer tomorrow). Anyway, the other driver has admitted responsibility and is being prosecuted for due care so my wife is totally blameless (she was lawfully parked at the time).

My wifes car is a 2003 53 plate Fiesta 1.4LX and looking at dealer forecourt prices will cost between £6,600 and £7,000 to replace like for like with the exact same model. Trade price (which is what we expect to be offered is around £5,600. I have already started collecting information from dealers and newspapers in relation to the price it will cost us to replace it and intend presenting this as evidence if the offer is rubbish.

I have a reasonable idea of how to deal with the insurers offers but there will obviously be a point where the insurers tell me to take it or leave it:( .

I would welcome advice from anyone in the insurance industry or from anyone that has been in a similar position previously and had a reasonable settlement re the best way to approach this. All we want is to be left in the same position as we were prior to the accident and not to need to shell out any money to replace the car with one of the same. The insurers so far have been great - providing a replacement car within 3 hours of reporting the accident but I have a feeling that we will come down to earth very quickly when we receive that first offer!

Comments

• telly-addict
    telly-addict Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    Try taking a look at the following discussion thread that may assist:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=53741&highlight=write
    Good luck with with your claim.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Thanks for the link - the link to the Ombudsmans site was a great help. It certainly helps me with putting a case forward for a reasonable settlement
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Car is written off and first offer was a good one which has been accepted (assessor stated if it wasn't acceptable they would repair the car as it was right on the mark at where they could go either way).

Really pleased with insurers and the way this has been dealt with, they have really been on the ball.

Thanks for the link anyway even though it wasn't required it may help someone else.
  • Porker
    Porker Posts: 369 Forumite
    Options
    get the tax disc out of it for a start if it is written off, and make sure your looking for some ULR cover (uninsured loss recovery) - this means that you can claim back ANY costs that you incurr because of someone elses negligence, as in this case. usually this would mean a hire car, but youre already sorted for that but give it some thought. havent done ULR stuff for a while but a firm called DAS used to be the big boys in this after the event stuff.
    if it's more than 10 stone, and that hairy, it's probably not a dog...it may be a wookie.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Porker wrote:
    get the tax disc out of it for a start if it is written off, and make sure your looking for some ULR cover (uninsured loss recovery) - this means that you can claim back ANY costs that you incurr because of someone elses negligence, as in this case. usually this would mean a hire car, but youre already sorted for that but give it some thought. havent done ULR stuff for a while but a firm called DAS used to be the big boys in this after the event stuff.

Tax disc was recovered on the night of the accident. A hire car, with dual controls, was on the driveway of my house within 3 hours of the accident being reported last Wednesday morning. Legal assistance is included and solicitors contacted us the same afternoon - which is why I am so pleased with the insurers. We have the use of the car for up to 5 days after we receive the cheque for the old car which will be approx 2 weeks time!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Hollie

As you have had a good outcome from a bad situation.......why not post in the '5 Star Service' board and tell us the name of your insurer.

Someone who is looking for car insurance might benefit from your experience.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure