PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I had mine come through the door, so not sure if they are available in the store. It may be worth giving them a call and asking if you can get one in store, they are normally really helpful.
    Thank you. Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone - hope you don't mind me returning. I was trying to do an annual grocery budget but that plan went out the window when we moved house. Such a lot has gone on that I'm now budgeting monthly again as it's easier to manage right now. Anyway, if it's ok, could I please be put down for £200 for August, starting from Monday?

Thanks in advance,

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Popped into 99p store to get the 69p bacon and eggs for a neighbour who is a bit poorly and spotted the gammon, not seen it in there before. My neighbour had given me 5.00 and asked that I get her what I could for that.

Bacon 0.69 usually 7 or 8 rashers
    Eggs 0.69 FOR 10.
    Gamon 0.99 3 big steaks
    Yogurts 0.99 2 x 4 packgreak style strawberry

Total 3.36

So went to Asda and got her 4 tins branston beans for 1.00. and saw the good for you bread at 2 for 1.00,I knew I could persuade another neighbour to take the loaf for 5op so got them.

My poorly neighbour was over the moon with the shop and to get 48p change and my other neighbour was so pleased to be offered a 50p loaf as was just about to go to local shop and spend 1.45 cheapest loaf in there.

I am pleased that I was able to go shopping and not spend a penny for myself.
    Slimming World at target
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,835
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Had a NSD yesterday. :money:
    Today went to Lid. for the offers - no delivery plus the rain was chucking down. :(
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1384/406
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £13.65/£100 NSD - 60
    2024 Craft Makes - 113 Craft Spends 2024 £205.99/£500
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,552
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ambassador
    Hi all

Firstly, I'd like to increase my budget to £110 please.

This is because I had a little more stocking up to do than I first realised! I'm talking like my coffee, big thing of olive oil, tablets, new (unplanned) re-usable bag, veggie mains, so immediately my first shop was huge in price but not in items!

So my month is shaping up to look like this:

Week 1 - 26 Jul - 01 Aug: £45
    Week 2 - 02 Aug - 08 Aug: £25
    Week 3 - 09 Aug - 15 Aug: £25
    Week 4 - 16 Aug - 18 Aug: £15
    18 Aug - 26 Aug - LANZAROTE with the family!!! :-)

Week 4 is high for 3 days, because that will include if I buy a drink or 2 in the airport on Sun 18 Aug (bound to be a fiver each) so it's not very much really!

I'm not being massively frivolous by going on holiday by the way - some of you know that my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the beginning of December. Total and utter shock to us all and she's not at all the profile who usually get it - she's only 52, not at all overweight, never smoked, only drinks socially generally fit and healthy. Anyway, she's had 4 months of chemo, which was really successful as inthe first 3 months, the tumour reduced by 20%. Now she's just finished the first part of radio, which was 5 weeks and now we are in a 3 month waiting period because the radiotherapy carries on working. Then she'll be assessed again and they are looking to operate around October. This is a huge operation - they say bigger than heart surgery as they remove the head of the pancreas and then have to connect everything up again. It's not without risk and she'll have a very long recovery time, I mean months.
    So, the holiday came about by me just mentioning to mum that I'd really like us to try and plan a family holiday (I'm 29 and my last one was when I was 15!) - it's all happened very quickly but basically mum and dad are paying for us and my sister to go to Lanzarote for the week. It's all very last minute and we've deliberately done it before the op. For nice memories before the long recovery.
    I have not been able to contribute anything to the flights or villa and had nothing saved obviously! Friday was my only payday between now and when we go so I've managed to squeeze £125 from my budget by cutting some stuff back and pushing some back to next month (risky business but don't worry, my DMP is safe, I would never risk that!!!). I'll only acheive this if I rigorously stick to my budget plus I still need to try and shave some off as £125 won't go far what with eating out etc. I know they will pay, but I always look bad - my sister has tons of money and TBH doesn't really understand quite how tight things are for some people (and I'm not even that pushed, I'm just average I think). But I always look ungenerous because I can't contribute or contribute as much. So dreading that a little!
    also, I had no holiday clothes, so mum has advanced me part of my Christmas money and birthday money - half of each to be precise, and I am to spend on clothes. I've bought 3 tops and a lovely maxi dress so far. I have £39 left and have found some cropped trousers on eBay which I'm going to order today, see how they are, and then get another colour if they are good, I think they came to about £11 with postage. Anyway, that is how I am acheiving a holiday - basically I'm being paid for.

So far my totals look like this:

Week 1 - 26 Jul - 01 Aug: £45 / £36.70
    Week 2 - 02 Aug - 08 Aug: £25
    Week 3 - 09 Aug - 15 Aug: £25
    Week 4 - 16 Aug - 18 Aug: £15
    18 Aug - 26 Aug -
    LANZAROTE with the family!!! :-)

I need to get some more veg for the rest of this week once I've worked out my meal plan properly.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend so far - sorry for the ginormous post! :rotfl:

LC x
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • empy wrote: »
    :wave: Hi,

I can't believe for the first time ever I've actually managed to complete a whole month of a grocery challenge and even better came under :D

This month I am aiming for £250.00Please :) I am going on my jolidays to Spain next weekend for a week so have reduced my budget accordingly but allowed a little extra due to my teen dustbins not being at school!

Have a great weekend everyone, hopefully I'll be able to post more often this month as I'm off work for the summer :T

Emma
    Well done you
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • LC - I hope you and your family have a great holiday, it sounds like its much deserved for everyone!

Spent my first weeks budget today, £37.27 after using a £5 off a shop voucher. I bought some polenta to try some cornbread muffins, and judging by how they turned out, I will be looking for more polenta recipes.

Fingers crossed I have my meals all planned for the week- I have to pay £160 for the privilege of taking an exam at the end of August which my employer won't pay for ( my second attempt at this exam, so they aren't being unfair) and I wasn't expecting to have that outlay.
  • malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    I want to spend some money! However, our month doesn't start until Tuesday, and I over spent in July. We are out of fresh veg, but otherwise can manage a few days. Hubbs has lots of frozen HM soup for lunches, and our freezer is still half full, so it's easy to rummage up some dinner ideas. It's just getting boring now :undecided
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • madhatter90
    madhatter90 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Hello! I would like to start from the 29th July with £80 Let's do it!
    Save
  • citygirl40
    citygirl40 Posts: 28
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My five week month starts today and I'm going to be relying on my full cupboards and freezer.

Went to As*a today for first shop of week. Bought potatoes (my goodness the price of potatoes has rocketed, so pleased I've some growing in the garden now), carrots, a dozen eggs as this week I'm making quiche, pancakes and a cake. Got 2 loaves of bread reduced for son, a load of cheese and 3 lots of quorn products that I had £4 in vouchers towards so total spend of £9.96 and that included a pack of Famous names chocs, reduced to £2 and I had a £1 voucher. BB Jan 2014, have put in Xmas box under spare bed.:)

Hoping to only buy milk now this week, its just my OH that needs reining in now this week!!!

August grocery challenge £60.23/£300

Week 1 60.23/60:)
    Week 2 77.81/60 :mad:
    Week 3 15.48/41.96
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business