The Illuminative Project.

Comments

• Have you heard of Marie Kondo? I read the book whilst on holiday and couldn't wait to get home and get rid of old junk I hadn't worn/seen/touched/thought about in years.

Speky, I downloaded the Marie Kondo book a while back and sorted through all my clothes drawers. They no longer do at the moment but once I find the momentum, they shall do! My sock drawer never looked so neat. I think its one bit at a time though, first get rid of things I know I won't/no longer use then when it comes to redecorating my room I can have another look through things.
    Bobarella wrote: »
    The trip sounds a fab bargain, so glad you have a nice thing to look forward to :)

Thank you Bob. I'm pretty excited- 6 weeks to go. It's given me a boost to kick my bottom into action regarding many things. My friend is just as excited as me and it should be a good one. We will do mainly sightseeing during the day, and goodness knows what at night time. When we were younger I went on holidays quite a few times with my friend and her family and have fond memories. She is really being a big help at the moment but I think its also reciprocated. I've opened up to her about the recent diagnosis and she is accepting. She's a good person to vent to and has the same line of thinking as me. I often ponder how I lose touch with such a good friend? Though that no longer matters, we pick up where we left off.

--

Yesterday I ended up having a nap in the afternoon, then hit the gym in the evening with my Mum. I signed her up and got her £5 off the joining fee- my friend sent me an emailing detailing these offers. Clearly we are on the same wavelength ;). I think my mum enjoys it, but she needs to remember slow and steady wins the race, not rushing into it like she'd never been away. I quite enjoy going with my mum and think this will make our relationship stronger. During this time and when we're in the car I open up and talk about things more. We both talk about how our days are and what's happening. When I was younger and going through a crisis, she knew nothing of it then after that we became really close. Somehow over the years I never felt that close and felt overlooked- I think it's because I obviously still live at home and my siblings live elsewhere so when she does see them its all systems go. Me and my mum have different interests, she is really into her sports and watches a lot of it where as I have little to no interest. Sometimes when I tried to open up about things I would be met with a comment sports related so I kind of just gave up. Then obviously this all happened. I realized after recent family bereavement life is too short and to make most of our relationship and to embrace her interests as much as possible as well as mine. It's about finding the middle ground.

I managed to clear the bookcase yesterday and have sorted some things into boxes, other stuff is still left on the bed (I slept in spare room last night haha!) . I look at this stuff and I am finding it a struggle of where to put it because it doesn't fit into my categories I have planned lol. I've set aside a time period later on today where I will sort this. Currently I have two bedside tables, two single standing wardrobes, one double wardrobe, one set of drawers, numerous storage boxes and a double divan with two drawers underneath. I would ideally like to get this down to the two bedside tables, one double wardrobe, one set of drawers and obviously the storage under my divan. I then want to only have around four storage boxes for all other stuff. One can only hope!!

Today's plan is:-
    - Transfer over money I owe.
    - Buy annual passes (Christmas present from my mum and go through TCB for cashback),
    - Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner as planned.
    - Drink at least 6 glasses of water.
    - Whip up a basic tomato pasta for dinner.
    - Tackle bedroom for two hours maximum.
    - Write out birthday card for my sister and post it.
    - Write out birthday card for my Godson (need to withdraw cash for this).
    - Do some hula hooping (I have a weighted hula hoop, I love doing this! I am giving the gym a miss today).

Tonight the boy has his activity and I shall be doing the driving to venue, I have to say I am not looking forward to this after last week. At least I won't be doing it at the weekend as the boy is in a pantomime at our local theatre. I just need to keep positive and smiling.

Hope everyone is well!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Just read through your diary Chandelier...enjoyed reading your things to be grateful for. Certainly made me think. Life can be so busy, taking time to be grateful helps. You sound like you're an amazing mum to your son. Re the holiday, could you get your son to have a scrapbook and spend just 10 mins writing about the things you've done or seen that day. Shows the school he's been writing and creates a lovely memory scrapbook for years to come.

Hope your Grandad is feeling better.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • *NEW UPDATES*

Zopa: £2100
    Barclays: £2450 (£30 payment made)
    Virgin: £410 (£25.00 payment made)
    MBNA: £3330 (£20.00 payment made

Total: £8290

So I've transferred money that I owe to people (friend for holiday, money to relative for show tickets, money to the boys activity) and then I have made a total over-payment of £75 across three of the credit cards which gives me the new total as above.

All my bank accounts are up to date now. My savings aren't what they used to be but I have to remember that I have had this time off work and have made rather big one-off payments to the loan.

I have devised up a plan re payments towards the debt now for the next upcoming months. It goes like this:-

Zopa: £180.00 per month.
    Barclays: £50.00 per month.
    Virgin: £30.00 per month.
    MBNA: £40.00 per month.

Total:- £300 a month towards the debt.

The Zopa loan repayment each month comes just under £50 but I intend to make an over-payment of at least £130 a month. I hope to clear this by the end of the year, if not earlier. Once my income increases again when I am back at work I shall tackle the Barclay card which 0% runs out 1st November as well as the loan. If I still have a considerable balance on this nearer the time I shall look at balance transferring it over to another account.

I have set all the direct debits for these, the longer standing 0% offers are set at just above the minimum payment for each month.

In March I have my holiday to pay for- will pay on credit card and use savings to pay straight off (for security reasons and protection). My savings will hit an all time low, it does make me anxious but this is what they are there for.

I need to make lists of upcoming annual expenses and fit these into budget.

In other news, I have purchased annual passes as mentioned above and went through TCB and have 'earnt' £34.00. So hopefully that will go through as planned and not take too long to track.

I am just about to make tomato pasta for me and the boy. I've yet to have breakfast so it looks more like brunch and I will have the tomato pasta late afternoon.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Hey Chandelier, I'm enjoying reading your diary. I have been decluttering for nearly 2 years and the Marie Kondo book is one of my favourites! It's a gradual process, but every stage has made a big difference to me. I started with the biggest and/or easiest stuff and have been tackling more as I've learnt about what makes me happy — whether it's happy to keep something or happy to get rid of it!
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • So I've had a pretty lax day so far. I've done about half the things on my to do list. I'll finish the other half later.

I've been mooching through social media and the likes looking at all the different before/after pics and different challenges set about.

I'm really body conscious and I'm aware it's only me that can change it. My legs/thighs/hips is where I hold alot of my weight. I've been thinking about kind of blogging my progress and what not- I'm not too sure yet. I don't know if it will give me that extra boost I need.

Another friend is kindly giving me advice on what exercises to do to target these areas. Because quite frankly I have no idea.

I see all these challenges float about and do wonder if I could do them and keep up. I quite like a challenge. I've set some mini targets in regards to weightloss.

- Lose 12lb by March 5th. (Just before Berlin trip)
    - Lose 28lb by May 15th. (Family hols)
    - Lose 42lb by August 5th. (Just as summer months kick in)
    - Lose 50lb by September 30th. (Just as Autumn roughly kicks in)
    - Lose 62lb by December 20th. (Just before Christmas).

As I am quite big to start with, I aim to lose roughly 2lb a week to begin with. I feel like I'm really in the right mind frame to tackle this and I have events to look forward to to motivate me. I aim to be a slim/curvy bridemaid next time round at the wedding (Mid 2018). Plus I want to show I can do it and prove others wrong. It's all about making the right choices.

When I lose weight my self esteem increases. Maybe one day I may even think about getting myself back out there.. But for now I'm happy on my own and want to learn to love myself.

Deep down I'm aware of my good qualities, it's sometimes hard to see though.

I like to have a lot going on and things to focus on. This will be a good focus. Hopefully the more I exercise the healthier my mind becomes and allows me the time to myself.

Think positive, act positive.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Morning everyone,

Last night wasn't too bad. It was just me and the boy in the car to his activity which was alot more relaxed. We had the iPad with spotify and listened to lots of songs and had a right sing along. He then did well in his lesson and slept on way home.

Before I picked him up from school his nan phoned to tell me he had an abcess on his knee- it wasn't an abcess, more of a blocked hair follicle. So I persuaded him to let me sort it (which he did) and it no longer causes him pain. Win win. He then chose a small packet of his sweets from Christmas to take to his activity.

He's pretty good when it comes to sweets/chocolates. He got a massive stash for Christmas (two big tubs of sweets, 2 large bars of galaxy, one selection box, large chocolate coin, chocolate Santa and a big bag of chocolate coins). He has most of this left and it's in the corner of a room and he doesn't touch it or eat any then hide etc. He occasionally asks and doesn't over eat. I used to be the total opposite as a kid lol. I'll somehow have to get it all used up, it will still be here by Easter no doubt. We still have Halloween sweets left haha.

Today I have to go into school to look at the boys school work and then I'll go to the gym. His nan is picking the boy up from school as he's going to a show rehearsal. I then have parents evening around 6pm which I'll attend with his dad and possibly his dad's girlfriend. I don't mind this, anything to help the boy along. Three minds can be better than two.

One of my old college friends have reached out.. I'm going to arrange a catch up. This is another friend who we pick up where we left off usually. So I guess in some ways I'm building up my support network slowly. Her daughter and the boy used to be really close at nursery and always get on well, so double bonus. They pretty much grew up together until school age.

I'm hoping today is a NSD. I've been pretty lax in terms of counting these. Most likely because I've had so much on.

I also need to pop and visit my grandad today at some point. I still need to move some other things in my room too!

So another busy ish day. I've also done well two days in a row re diet. I could do with getting some more fruit/veg in but will try hold off until tomorrow/Friday maybe.

In other news today is payday but my wage is poor due to being SSP only and they've even taxed me on it! Madness. Tight month again next month unless something miraculous comes my way. Roll on going back to work.

Have a good day everyone.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You've been busy again Chandelier interesting on the sweets thing. My husband always tells me how when he was little he and his sister would get a bit of pocket money, and he would buy a packet of biscuits whilst his sister would buy sweets. He would still have lots of biscuits left whilst his sister would go through hers in minutes. Everyone's different aren't they.

A book I've been reading which is on raising girls, by the same person who wrote Toxic Childhood, talks about how for a girl to have good lifelong eating habits parents should allow sweets, but show their distain for them. And not keep them in the house but allow them for treats whilst out. I find the advice odd. How is a child to enjoy a treat if their parent sits there 'showing distain' whilst they eat?

Surely an everything in moderation attitude with a relaxed approach to all foods is much better? In any case, sounds like your son is great at knowing how much is enough without being told.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Looking back Bob I can see how my unhealthy food habits/binge eating kind of came about.

After school we'd visit my nana and have a scone, 4 jammy dodgers and a cup of tea/glass of lemonade. Sometimes there would even be a Mars bar. All this before tea. How crazy is that?

Or we would have a biscuit tin full of biscuits and no one ever said stop. I've always been awful for eating breakfast and never like it but I'd easily eat them for breakfast??

Or we would get pocket money and go to the local newsagent and buy what we wanted.

I guess there was not much restriction if you see what I mean?

I explain to the boy about healthy habits and limiting things. To be honest I'm still worse than him.

At the party he went to he put the usual food on his plate and a couple of sweet items.. and left half the sweet items and ate his food.

I guess I'm doing something right. And he's a very active boy. Where as I was the total opposite.

Don't get me wrong some days he just wants to chill out and watch tele. He likes game shows such as tipping point and the chase (he's only six). How funny. I figure he's so active during the week and we do alot that I don't mind.

I used to just slob on the sofa or sit at computer for hours on end. I didn't have any interest in sport. It was only until I was about 11 that I became active and did a lot of walking with a weekend hobby I had. I can remember dieting from a young age. Sad affairs really.

I guess that's why I want to start slowly but surely trying to have a healthy relationship with food. I'm a vegetable dodger.. I can eat them in foods and when hidden. Sometimes I'll eat them on the side dependent on my mood. Alot of it is the smell and texture/appearance. For example rice- I have this small phobia of it and won't let it anywhere near my mouth. Although I have tried it in the past and enjoyed it. It's the fact it was all these small grains clumped together. I guess I have some mild sensory issues. Some people find it funny or weird and I find myself explaining it to them when I shouldn't really have to.

I'm getting better at exploring foods though. One vegetable I won't eat is peas. Eurgh.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • So as usual.. I ponder through my bank accounts and see what is what.. The Zopa Loan balance restructured itself to £2097.12 after taking out the last over payment... And I may have "accidently" paid off £97.12 from my savings pot to bring it to below £2k :embarasse.

Looking at next months budget I think I just might be okay if I stretch things a bit and find ways of making money. Hopefully can cash in some of TCB earnings if they hurry up and become payable.

I need to phone payroll at work and query the cash advance of my wages that was requested. This will be a big help. I'm basically just using up annual leave I won't be able to take.

I've put a wash load on, it needs to be hung out to dry.

I also need to have my breakfast/brunch. I get carried away so easily. I've pottered around this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Interesting to read about how you feel food was managed, or not,for you as a child.

Your son's game show habit made me laugh. Have you tried him on Deal or No Deal yet? We all like that :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport