PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Looks like the Pound is heading for parity with the Euro.

Good for exports, but back for holidaymakers.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Martin's TravelMoneyMax site is showing 1.096 today. Not brilliant but the actual decline since just before Brexit is about 10%. I don't know about anyone else but I don't spend so much on holiday that it's material in the overall scheme of things. Mentally, I tend to translate Euro prices at about that rate anyway
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    singlestep wrote: »
    Just saw on the news that 28% of refugees in to Greece this year have been children :(
    But what is the definition of children in this context? I tend to think of 10 year olds in distress and who wouldn't want to help them?
    However if it's a 16 or 17 year old or someone going on 18, I am less sure. Sorry if that makes me Mrs Nasty. :(
    News items on the plight of migrant children are so often accompanied by footage of young kids but it would be interesting to see an age breakdown..
    PS I'm thinking more in the context of the Calais camps here.
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2016 at 4:11PM
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    How do you ensure the safety of someone, who intentional puts themselves in front of a moving vehicle :huh:

Bob you obviously cannot, but I was referring back to MTSTM post about the choice between sitting and waiting for a migrant to move or driving on.

Interesting to read the different viewpoints on migrants and ports, thank you. I know it is a complex and difficult situation - I've done some work with migrants settling here in Scotland - however I have a lot of empathy for people whose lives are such that living in a migrant camp in Calais and risking your life every night for a new life in the UK is better than what's behind you.
    edited to add: reading on am slightly shocked about the stance of some on here, so shall hie me away from this discussion and come back when we return to prepping :(
  • pineapple wrote: »
    But what is the definition of children in this context?

Indeed.

Many claiming to be children, are actually adults.
  • Bob you obviously cannot, but I was referring back to MTSTM post about the choice between sitting and waiting for a migrant to move or driving on.

You said:-
    The authorities on both sides should do something to ensure the safety of the migrants and travelers.

If a person chooses to run in front of a moving vehicle, that's not the fault of the authorities.
  • Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    You said:-

If a person chooses to run in front of a moving vehicle, that's not the fault of the authorities.

last word from me on this.......... I didn't say it was the fault of the authorities, I said the authorities should do something to protect both drivers and migrants
  • I said the authorities should do something to protect both drivers and migrants

What something do you suggest?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I don't see how this relates to prepping. Going on your hols is not prepping lol. Re Putin, he's trying to keep everybody on the hop. it's what he does. Bringing back foreign students is just play acting - what is going to happen to them? Nothing. Look at his face- he's a stirrer lol
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think there is a (sort of) prepping element to this. Just in the sense that we need to be aware that we are in the middle of a huge population shift and it isn't going to stop any time soon. I do believe this is bigger than we are being told (dons tin foil hat).
    Various figures have been given for the split of war refugees v economic refugees. Whatever - there is a substantial economic element. Why would they risk their lives? Maybe they think it is worth a gamble. Maybe the risks have been downplayed at their end. Maybe people see this as the promised land. Maybe we would too, in their shoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure