Boyfriend made redundant, his job goes to someone else?

A few weeks ago my boyfriend came home with a letter from work basically saying there was going to be redundancies and it was between him and two others in his department.

He found out that he is the one being made redundant.

The reason for the redundancy is because they are not making enough money lately.

He went into work today and one of the lads that works in a different department came up to my boyfriend and said he needed to talk to him.

The other guy has just been told that once my boyfriend leaves he will be taking over his role. They cant afford to pay my boyfriends wages but they need the extra person in the department as the two remaning people cannot do the workload alone.

Can they do this? Make my partner redundent then give his job to someone else?

He has worked there for just over two years if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    What they may do is get this other person to do his own work plus some of what your Partners work is ie spreading the work over fewer staff?
    As long as they aren't just getting rid of him and hiring a new person to do the exact same job I think there is nothing he can do.

I do know someone at my OH's old work who was made redundant in a very short and almost brutal fashion, her work was then split between the other staff-she had originally been told the work she did would be automated and disappear. She actually went as far as a tribunal but lost because her actual job had gone, the work was spread to others, but the main role was gone.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    What they may do is get this other person to do his own work plus some of what your Partners work is ie spreading the work over fewer staff?
    As long as they aren't just getting rid of him and hiring a new person to do the exact same job I think there is nothing he can do.

I do know someone at my OH's old work who was made redundant in a very short and almost brutal fashion, her work was then split between the other staff-she had originally been told the work she did would be automated and disappear. She actually went as far as a tribunal but lost because her actual job had gone, the work was spread to others, but the main role was gone.Ali x

Its exactley what happened to me, you just have to deal with it. Make sure he gets his rightful pay off and hope he gets a job soon.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It can even be that the other person's job goes entirely and they pick up all the tasks in your boyfriend's job. That is still legal as long as they were already employed by the company and aren't a new hire.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was my made redundant about 30yrs ago, in our department was a man senior to us; 2 girls and me. I'd been there much longer than them and earned more than both of them. When without any warning i was called in and told i was getting made redundant i understood why the older guy wasn't going, i couldn't do some of his work but felt 'cos of length of service one of the girls should have gone, but they were cheaper to keep. I went to a tribunal and won, the tribunal told me if i wanted my job back i could have it or receive compensation, i chose the money i'd already told the girls i wasn't doing this to get one of them thrown out.
    So Op has your boyfriend got longer service or was he better paid, he could go down that track.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I was my made redundant about 30yrs ago, .

That may have been then: this is now. The cost to a business is a material consideration.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Redundancy has always been about companies cutting costs.
    But the reason i pointed out how long ago that i was made redundant was 'cos i don't know how the workings of tribunals have changed, if they have changed.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Thats basically what happened to me. Although it was done illegally so I have my day in court which should bring a bit if satisfaction:D
  • ktothema
    ktothema Posts: 494 Forumite
    OP, is the new person being given your bfs job title too? That's where the legal sticking point can be. Roles are often seen as a name and tasks. Companies are perfectly within their rights to make role x with job description x redundant, but then create role y which has a very similar job description to x (but with some variance) as long as the entire redundancy process is done correctly. This legally allows them to recreate the same role and recruit someone else.

I also discovered that could work both ways though, I've now been made redundant in round 2. First round, I was told my role was safe except my role was gone. They tried to slyly put me into a role with a slightly different name and JD but which was actually a demotion. Union argued my case on that point and I was given a similar equivalent role in a different team.
    Data protection is there for you, not for companies to hide behind
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    This happened to me last year after 12 yrs working for a small charity. They changed my job title and added a few more tasks to the job description which in the time you were there would have been impossible to get done, and advertised my old job. I could have took it to a tribunal but in the end was pleased to leave as I did not like the way the charity was going.
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    go to ACAS they helped me.
    get your boyfriend to ask them how his company selected his post for redundancy out of all the ones that were there.
    does boyfirend have a union at work?
    can he ask for short time working instead of redundancy?

HTH
    FA
    xx
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories