Building a new website

Options
I've decided to start a charity/social enterprise and i am looking at various aspects of setting it up etc.

A website it obviously essential for any new charity and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on domain names and hosting etc. I am a fast learner but i confess that i don't know anything about coding etc so i know i need to use a content management system which i have done through work so that is fine.

I have heard that wordpress is useful for this does anyone have any experience?

Also as a charity finance is essential and i won't even be paying myself wages until after the first year so it is important to get a cheap domain and hosting service however i also want something that looks quite professional (although basic is ok)
Any and all advice will be very gratefully received. There is so much info on the web about this that it is all rather gibberish and tough to sift through!

Thanks

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2015 at 1:50AM
    Options
    WordPress on someone like TSOHost maybe £80 every couple of years. Tutorials on YouTube. Domain a tenner every couple of years. I use easily.co.uk as it's a good service and I've been with them since the late 1990's but there are slightly cheaper domain companies. Easily or most other domain companies will also offer hosting, and most hosts will offer domains. I prefer to keep them separate so all eggs aren't in one basket, but it's your choice.
  • sams-saving
    Options
    Hi mate

Search '$1 domain offers' hosting I'd reccomend hostgator but search for offers again.
    Search for 'free wordpress theme' and then go and look on 5er website, can get someone to customize it all and look great with logo etc for $50-100
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Just be aware $1 hosting you'll typically get what you pay for
  • summerlady_2
    Options
    Have you thought of setting up a facebook page?

Also if you are a local group, check whether you have Streetlife (.co.uk) in your area.

It seems to be taking off in various parts of the country at the moment.
    Grocery challenge 2017 January £158.74/£200
    Grocery challenge February £100.91/£190
  • ALittleInLove
    Options
    Hi There,
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I am planning to have a facebook page as well but i was hoping to have a website to make it look more professional.
    It's only for information so it doesn't need to be overly flash as it'll be mostly text information.
    Never heard of street life though I- will have look Thanks :)
  • howdm
    howdm Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I got a WordPress hosting package for $1/month, but the price goes up after a year so watch out for the fine print! Otherwise I think it's alright so far for my needs.

In terms of finding a domain name, you might want to give wordoid.com a whirl. It's free and comes up with some pretty creative suggestions. Some are ridiculous but it helped me get started. Then I would suggest searching for a domain checker to see if your choice is available. :)

Good Luck!
  • Discodave
    Discodave Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    ALittleInLove - Have you got sorted? If not, check ya PMs, or message me
  • tracey97
    tracey97 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    have a look at Create.net. A static website is about a fiver a month, all the templates are there for you to drag and drop images and pics, very easy to use and theres no contract. You can sign up for a free 30 day trial
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure